We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitoes

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitoes

Hi Everyone,

My husband has allergic reactions to Mosquito bites so I was wondering how prevalent they are in Palma?

Thanks

Liz

Mentioned in this post
Palma
Palma
1 Review
Majorca, Spain
Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,095 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitoes

Liz, i've been there at least 10 times and never encountered one yet.

Been bitten by a few in the UK though!!!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitoes

Can't speak from experience about the mozzi situation in Palma but it is bad in Alcudia,C'an Picafort and Puerto Pollensa.The nature reserve between Alcudia and C'an Picafort is a breeding ground.

Mentioned in this post
Palma
Palma
1 Review
Majorca, Spain
Alcudia
Alcudia
Majorca, Spain
United Kingdom
Destination Expert
for Sharm El Sheikh, Red Sea and Sinai, Side
Level Contributor
20,549 posts
183 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitoes

Hi,

Here are some tips which may help as I also react badly to them & get the golf ball swellings, which is not a good look!

MOSQUITOES- Take Vit B pills just before going & during - you won't taste nice to the mozzies then. Thiamine, found in B1 is an irritant to them. Be aware that prolonged use may upset your mineral balance. Vit B1’s effectiveness is lessened thru alcohol.

Some people say take yeast pills instead.

Take Avon Skin so Soft / Woodland Fresh as it's a great repellent. (Some specifically recommend the Avon skin so soft dry oil spray "soft & fresh"; you want the blue/green bottle as this variety has the citronella in it, it is not in the pink one "soft & sensual" I use the pink one tho.

Some say get DEET from Boots. Take a room plug in. If a real mozzie problem occurs in your room, ask reception to spray it when cleaning. You can also get wristbands from Mothercare against mozzies (approx £4 each). Aspivenin gadget from Boots (about £20) or online- pocket sized mini pump that will suck out the poison from mozzie bites etc.

I'd had 4 hols with only a few tiny bites, no swellings, when I learnt about the Vit B1 connection. I had been taking it for mediacl reasons & now always take it when abroad. Holland & Barret do a times release one as our bodies don't store it. & I've had 3 more comfortable hols. It doesn't work for everyone but maybe worth a try.

Regards

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
43 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitoes

Thanks Everyone, good advice

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
3,320 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitoes

Last year we spent 3 days in Palma and my wife ended up buying a mosquito repellent spray as she had been bitten quite a lot. Once we moved on to Binibone then Soller we didn't have any problems with mossies. This year we stayed for 4 days in Alcudia Old Town which is close to the nature reserve and had no problems at all and again in Binibona no problems either.

Mentioned in this post
Palma
Palma
1 Review
Majorca, Spain
Soller
Soller
Majorca, Spain
Binibona
Binibona
Majorca, Spain
6. Re: Mosquitoes

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 12:24