We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

My Personal Homage to the Guardia Civil

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
61,298 posts
3,655 reviews
Save Topic
My Personal Homage to the Guardia Civil

Yesterday an ETA car bomb killed two young men of the Guardia Civil in Mallorca. The day before another car bomb in Burgos heavily damaged the quarters of the Guardia Civil. Luckily many members of the Guardia Civil were on vacation with their families and no one was killed. But ETA wanted to kill all of the Guardia Civil staying in the building, together with their wives and their children.

I, as well as all of Spain, grieve with the families of the two young men who were killed in Mallorca. If this is the way ETA wants to celebrate the 50th anniversary of their founding, they are just calling attention to their bankrupt philosophy and policies of terrorism.

As a recent immitrant to Spain, the Guardia Civil has all of my admiration. They represent a force that protects lives. ETA represents a force that destroys life. The Guardia Civil protects democracy while ETA tries to destroy democracy. The Guardia Civil represents a force that loves citizens, while ETA represents a force that hates humanity.

Every year many young men and women volunteer to join the Guardia Civil, knowing that they will be targets of ETA. Yet, they join the force because they have a calling to serve their country. I think that the Guardia Civil has been very successful with their patient detective work in finding many of the leading terrorists of ETA recently. Perhaps that explains the special hatred that ETA has for them. Whenever ETA car bombs the quarters of the Guardia Civil, they never give a warning, because they want to kill as many members of the Guardia Civil as possible, together with their families.

The Guardia Civil has all my respect and admiration. They are protecting our lives and sacrificing themselves to do it.

I have a special message to tourists who are planning to cancel their trips to Spain. Those of us who live in Spain are not cowering in fear of the ETA. Our lives go on normally. If we were afraid, we would be giving in to the bankrupt policies of ETA. Do not cancel your trips. As far as I know no tourist has been killed in any of the bombings. Every year during summer the ETA explodes a bomb to scare tourists away, knowing that many thousands of honest Spaniards are dependent on tourism for their living. But that just goes to show you how much this group hates the Spanish populace, who time and again have rejected the group. So I urge you to continue your trips and in this way show that you support Spanish democracy.

Colonia de Sant...
Destination Expert
for Colonia de Sant Jordi
Level Contributor
3,678 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: My Personal Homage to the Guardia Civil

Well said Benny, I'll second that.

Northampton, MA
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: My Personal Homage to the Guardia Civil

We were in San Sebastian two weeks ago and we walked by the Guardia Civil building to and from our hotel every day. Looking back I realize that nobody else walked by that building except us or other tourists. It really gives me a chill.

Manchester England
Level Contributor
5,230 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: My Personal Homage to the Guardia Civil

Benny..............

Well said...

And I for one will NOT be cancelling any trip to Spain or any of the Balearic islands.......

MANCHESTER-GOLFER

London, England
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: My Personal Homage to the Guardia Civil

Well said Benny, and thanks for the many thoughtful and informed posts you share with us on TA (I particularly liked you Cavadonga history).

But the recent murder of the poor souls in the Guardia Civil is regrettably shadowed by the history of that organisation. While most current serving officer were only children during The Franco regime, the fact that it was then an agent of oppression probably still lingers in the twisted minds of the aging ETA apparachik. So it may still be a few years before we can forget and forgive. Thankfully ETA has little vestige of support for violence, and without support, even the most fanatical terrorism withers.

5. Re: My Personal Homage to the Guardia Civil

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2010, 07:27
Get answers to your questions about Palma de Mallorca
Recent Conversations