We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reads Hotel in Santa Maria - in European Top 10 Wine Hotels

Mallorca
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Topic
Reads Hotel in Santa Maria - in European Top 10 Wine Hotels

According to a national publication, Reads Hotels in Santa Maria is the 4th European Hotel in an European Top 10 Wine Hotels.

Fantastic news for Reads!. The location of this hotel is superb, and they seem to constantly be doing special activities for those tourists looking for something more than sun, sand & sangría.

The Reads website is here:

www.readshotel.com/index.php?sectionid=18

The "Experiencias y Mas" website that has selected these Top 10 hotels is here:

www.experienciasymas.com/tophotelesvino.html

It's good news for Mallorca, especially as we are now everything is winding down for the tourism season.

Unfortunately we don't appear to have a forum for Santa María yet... Shame, it's a charming village!.

Palma Free Walking Tour
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Walking Tours
Wine routes Mallorca
Food Tours, Hiking Trails, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Urban Drivestyle
Sightseeing Tours, Self-Guided Tours & Rentals, Vespa, Scooter & Moped Tours, Equipment Hire
Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reads Hotel in Santa Maria - in European Top 10 Wine Hotels

Dani, we arrive tomorrow for fourteen nights @ Reads and I am delighted to read your posting.

This will be our first trip to Majorca as we always travel longhaul, always to a beautiful hotel, our favourite destination being Bermuda, but Reads has been tugging at my heartstrings for a longtime and after suggesting to friends that they may like it and having listened to the eulogies after their visit, I knew that we just had to stay there.

As you know, the hotel has a Michelin Star restaurant and a wonderful spa and its own vineyard and apparently their own wines are excellent and we are looking forward to enjoying them.

I am watching the weather closely and am delighted to see that the daytime temperatures are still in the high 20s. I am hoping that the evenings will be warm enough to eat outside as we also enjoy this so much on our usual holidays.

I will post a report on Reads on our return and I am quite sure that we shall love it and of course Majorca.

Mallorca
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reads Hotel in Santa Maria - in European Top 10 Wine Hotels

Oh my... how I envy you staying at Reads!! :-)

Have a fab time!.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reads Hotel in Santa Maria - in European Top 10 Wine Hotels

Thank you Dani, I am quite sure that we shall love everything and be planning our return trip before we come home.

Judith

Caimari, Mallorca
Level Contributor
630 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reads Hotel in Santa Maria - in European Top 10 Wine Hotels

Reads cellar isnt bad, but honestly Im surprised its rated as one of the top 10.

Ones to try on its list (if I remember rightly) are:

Ses Taolues

Castell Miquel, especially the white "vin de table" which is a Sauvignon Blanc

Jaume Mesquida Negre which got 95/100 from Parkers

Obac, NouNat and indeed anything from the Binigrau vineyard

Son Prim Cab Sav

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reads Hotel in Santa Maria - in European Top 10 Wine Hotels

Be sure to post a review of this hotel because not all are complimentary.I returned today from 5 days in Majorca.Very warm and sunny 27-29C every day but to balance things out my wife was there a week earlier and had 3 days rain out of 4.A Michelin star (which I was unaware of) is to be admired in such a backwater.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reads Hotel in Santa Maria - in European Top 10 Wine Hotels

I have today posted a review of our fourteen wonderful nights @ Read's . We are rested and relaxed and thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and Mallorca.

We shall return.

Mallorca
Level Contributor
1,302 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reads Hotel in Santa Maria - in European Top 10 Wine Hotels

Great review, glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay... and wow! 14 nights!. Am I jealous or what!.

I was wondering what the food would be like, after Marc Fosh suddenly decided to leave back in Feb 2009. However the new Chef (Filx Esrich) had been the 2nd Chef in charge, so I imagine that they will have kept the style of the cuisine similar.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
216 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reads Hotel in Santa Maria - in European Top 10 Wine Hotels

Dani, there were many Mallorquin guests dining in the restaurant at various times during our stay. It is a good way to view the hotel and experience Felix's cooking.

As I stated in my review we were delighted with every dish that Felix cooked for us, both on and off menu, as he was quite excited to think about different flavours for vegetarian options for me, the non meat eater and Marcus impressed upon us that if we fancied something that was not on either menu, or on the daily menu ( usually three extra choices ) they would be very pleased to cook it for me. Last night I attemped to recreate a dish from the menu and whilst it was good, it was certainly not Michelin fine dining.... aah well I don't have a team of sous chefs helping me in my kitchen, not do I have the magic touch of Felix. So I guess we'll just have to save our pennies and go back, sooner rather than later.

Kind regards

Judith

Suffolk
Level Contributor
1 post
14 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reads Hotel in Santa Maria - in European Top 10 Wine Hotels

Unfortunately Reads Hotel have lost their Michelin Star in the new 2010 Spanish Guide. A bad year for Mallorca as Tristans in puerto portals also lost a star and that only leaves four Michelin Starred restaurants on the Island.

10. Re: Reads Hotel in Santa Maria - in European Top 10 Wine Hotels

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2010, 06:17
Get answers to your questions about Palma de Mallorca