We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

please take care who you book with [ flights ]

North Yorkshire...
Level Contributor
3,455 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
please take care who you book with [ flights ]

for any1 booking flights for next year please check out this thread from a well respected forum about this airline .

forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php…

moocher

Newport, United...
Level Contributor
1,195 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: please take care who you book with [ flights ]

nice one moocher.you might well have saved some travellers a lot of misery.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: please take care who you book with [ flights ]

Thank you for posting this in the public interest.Globespan have a significant operation in Puerto Pollensa including Hotel Sis Pins and many Scottish visitors to PP buy their packages which include Flyglobespan flights from Globespan.Not relevant to Spain but their much heralded daily service from Liverpool John Lennon Airport to New York was an unmitigated disaster of delays,cancellations,reduced frequency and eventual closure.Not good for wary pax from Scotland as there are not many options to Majorca.So not good for the island either.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: please take care who you book with [ flights ]

It will be a real bummer if Globespan were to go under. They have been the reason I have been visiting Mallorca these last 3 years. Although their flights haven't been particularly cheap they are extremely convenient. especially for those of us in Aberdeen. They have a plane based in Aberdeen which is sits on the tarmac overnight when the airport is closed and leaves first thing which means that there ave very rarely delays to these flights.

If they do go under I am wondering if there is anyone who would want to fill the void.

I suppose only Ryanair seem to be in a position to expand just now.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: please take care who you book with [ flights ]

Hayzer,you might unwittingly have reported one of Flyglobespan's organisational weaknesses.These days airlines can't afford to have aircraft standing on the tarmac other than for turnarounds.Their shorthaul planes need to be in the air 16-18 hours in 24 to be financially effective.That is a fact.What is next is my own personal opinion.It does sound I admit as though we are already writing them off and I hope this isn't so.But they are flying from geographically clustered airports without diversifying and to my knowledge they are unusual except for Palmair who have I believe one aircraft operating out of Bournemouth.It may be 2.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: please take care who you book with [ flights ]

Hi Wirral

We do have to pay considerably more for that convenience (non flying time)

I priced 2 return flights to Palma in mid June next year and they were over £470

northumberland
Level Contributor
279 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: please take care who you book with [ flights ]

Hi, I have booked flights with Globespan for next year,will just have to keep my fingers crossed!!! I have paid on a credit card. But if they do go under it means booking with someone else as the apartment is also booked.

Sue

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
1,097 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: please take care who you book with [ flights ]

We just booked our flights with Ryanair : 16€ return each :-))

All costs included....

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: please take care who you book with [ flights ]

Yes vb2 that may be the case for you on your most convenient route.However if Hayzer needs an alternative to Flyglobespan for next June to PMI then Ryanair out of Edinburgh is one of the few.And return flights are already showing cost of over £200 each for 6 months ahead including unavoidable charges.Could be much higher with optional extras eg could Mrs H cope with just 15kilos hold luggage allowance? I know Mrs WS couldn't for a fortnight away.

Who said Ryanair is a low cost carrier? No frills yes but low cost-not always.I think it is fair to say the Scottish peak holiday period in Majorca starts 2/3 weeks before the English because their schools break up earlier.I do feel sorry for visitors to Majorca flying from Scotland.How lucky are we who have such a good choice of carriers (at the time of writing anyway!) from Manchester,Liverpool and Leeds Bradford.

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,581 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: please take care who you book with [ flights ]

The lack of choice is similar for those of us in the far south west. Exeter airport is a good hour and a half for me, no flights to Majorca in winter months, and only Flybe during the summer. Luckily I have only had good experiences of Flybe. Next closest airport is Bristol. Add on another 90 minutes past Exeter making it a long journey before you start! Even from Bristol there is only Easyjet to Majorca. Now, what I really need is a good service, not even necessarily a low cost carrier, to start operating from Newquay!! If only...........

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,971 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: please take care who you book with [ flights ]

"could Mrs H cope with just 15 kilos hold luggage allowance?"

I reckon you know the answer to that one Wirral :-)

Get answers to your questions about Palma de Mallorca