We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

looking for a traditional sea side town with nice beach

London
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
looking for a traditional sea side town with nice beach

I have just booked flights to Mallorca for June staying for 6 nights, I would like advise please on where to go and stay, We are 3 sisters all in our 40's so we have passed the party hard stage!LOL, Looking for a good swimming beach and somewhere nice and relaxed to go out in the evening. I have looked on here and I think Peurta Pollensa could be it, and futrher advise greatly apprciated, any recomendations for accommdation looking for self catrering, B and B or 3 *hotel close to the beach. we arrive at 2315 do you recomend hiring a car?

thanks

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
4,508 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: looking for a traditional sea side town with nice beach

You can't go wrong with Puerto Pollenca. It is a very attractive resort with a lovely beach, promenade, lots of restaurants and no hen/stag parties. If you are looking for something 'traditional' it has the added advantage of having the lovely old town of Pollenca a few kilometres inland.

You could also look at Puerto Soller which is lovely, as is the traditional old town of Soller a short tram ride inland.

You don't really need a car unless you want to get off the beaten track, as the bus network on Mallorca is very good. From Soller you can get to Palma, Deia, Valdemossa, Pollenca (only one a day and none on Sundays).

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,031 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: looking for a traditional sea side town with nice beach

I agree with Puerto Pollensa, it is a lovely resort, which doesn't attract the more rowdy 18-30 type crowds. It is also well situated for travelling around to see other resorts, such as Alcudia and Cala San Vincente, should you wish to see a bit more of the fabulous island

London
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: looking for a traditional sea side town with nice beach

Thank you, I shall look for some nice accommdation now, It is my first time to Mallorca so really looking forward to it !!

cant wait til June !!!

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: looking for a traditional sea side town with nice beach

I think Hotel Miramar 3* in Pto Pollensa should be ideal for you all.It has so much going for it for "mature" guests.No facilities for children,no swimming pool, no entertainment.However a beach is just across the pedestrianised promenade literally yards outside the front door and the location has to be one of the most convenient with all the town has to offer near at hand including the bus terminus and taxi rank..Excellent food way above the usual 3* hotel standard (the optional evening dinner is top rate) and good civilised service all around.Family-owned and managed.

Only disadvantage I perceived was it is expensive for a 3* and there is a supplement for the favoured sea views.You get what you pay for.If you want self-catering they have some good apartments outside the hotel's back door Maricel Apartments.I have stayed at Miramar Hotel and Maricel Apartments in the past.

London
Level Contributor
71 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: looking for a traditional sea side town with nice beach

Brilliant, That does sound exactly what we are looking for, thank you so much , will look into both those options.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: looking for a traditional sea side town with nice beach

You're welcome.I see I did not answer your car hire query.No real need to hire a car as the places I have mentioned are centrally located and close to bus terminus and taxi rank for exploring further afield.Also the car hire desks at PMI close at midnight so if you are delayed you could be left high and dry.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,697 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: looking for a traditional sea side town with nice beach

I totally agree with the recommendations of Miramar & Maricel from WS. I would have given that info as no 1 suggestion. As there are three of you, also consider Maricel 2 Apts (bigger with 2 bedrooms & 2 bathrooms).

If you were there for more than 6 nights I would have suggested car hire for part of the visit (to give extra options of exploring the island), but for 6 nights only no need for car hire.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: looking for a traditional sea side town with nice beach

if you have no problem driving I would go for a car as the cost in June for six days hire will be less than a return taxi.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
9,697 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: looking for a traditional sea side town with nice beach

My intial thought was the same as mentioned by Paul059, but then I spotted you land at Palma at 2315.

At that sort of time, IMO it's best to avoid all the hassle of picking up hire cars in a place you don't know; and avoid driving another 45+ mins to Puerto Pollensa for instance in the dark on a route you don't know, locating the hotel or apt, parking car etc etc. IMO pay for the taxi (shared cost of about 75 euros one-way; bit more very late I think, between three of you) to get you door-to-door at your final destination as fast and easily as possible.

Edited: 26 November 2011, 10:12
Lancashire
Level Contributor
2,299 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: looking for a traditional sea side town with nice beach

Sixt do sat nav for about €5 a day will still be cheaper than a cab no hassle pick up and u have the car as and wen. But As above all depends on confidence.