We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Record car hire .........WARNING!!!!

Which Palma de Mallorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Swansea, United...
Level Contributor
23 posts
44 reviews
Save Topic
Record car hire .........WARNING!!!!

Had the serious misfortune to book car hire through DOYOUSPAIN.COM and ended up with a booking at RECORD CAR HIRE.

On paper it seemed a good price 146 euros for 7 days hire of a Nissan Qashqai +28 euros for a child seat.On arrival a small queue,which was expected,eventually getting to the counter and handing in my voucher everything seemed fine.

Then I was told I needed the top up insurance but having bought it already in UK I pointed this out and then the nice polite young lady became unhelpful, disinterested and to be honest completely lost interest.My voucher said 400 euros deposit by c card.....no it was 1000 euros. You must pay to be an extra driver 101 euros....I dont drive and dont have a licence. But I have a voucher saying 146 euros.....sorry you didnt book it directly with us speak to doyouspain.com.

I will cut the story short and after some 25 mins haggling and the baby crying I asked her how much i needed to pay to get the car and was told 346 euros.

At this point I told her to keep her car [well something like that!] and we eventually booked a smaller car with Europcar [some bad comments about them on here but they were fine with us]

I have emailed doyouspain.com 3 times but as yet have no reply.

Apologies if you were stuck behind us in the queue!!

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
76 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Record car hire .........WARNING!!!!

I used record thru doyouspain last year in majorca, thou they did try the "EXTRA insurance" plug, once i refused, they were fine!

Need a car for barcelona in sept, maybe il shop around now!

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
179 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Record car hire .........WARNING!!!!

Your grievance seems to be with doyouspain.com and not Record Go. I have used Record Go twice, the latest being just 2 weeks ago, and found them to be professional and courteous. I have every intention of using them when I go back to Palma again in September. Conversely, I have never used doyouspain and cannot comment on them, but I note your warning.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Record car hire .........WARNING!!!!

"agents" only add another level of complexity - and another place to point fingers and dismiss accountability.

Always better to book direct, since someone directly accountable who can't point a finger elsewhere.

By the way, we've had similar experiences in the UK and in France, too. The "can't hire the car until you buy our expensive add-on insurance because the insurance you were required to buy when you booked is worthless" trick is still alive and well.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
2,747 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Record car hire .........WARNING!!!!

I have to agree with mallorcat booking direct is often the best option when it comes to car hire.

Like all service providers a large majority of the customers are perfectly happy with the service, it's how these companies handle problems when they arise that makes the difference.

cork ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Record car hire .........WARNING!!!!

Ye are making me nervous now, have booked through economycarrentals probably 8 times in the last 4 years and never had a problem, however I am beginning to think twice owing to the current situation with the competitive rates that I will get caught out, not by ECR but whoever I am being partnered with.

I have a car from Centauro booked through ECR in Alicante September and I am now keeping my fingers crossed.

I agree with your comments on 'can't point the finger of blame elsewhere'.

Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
743 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Record car hire .........WARNING!!!!

When we booked a car through Holiday Autos earlier this year we paid for the full insurance before leaving but when we got to the Goldcar desk we were told that in the event of an accident we would have to pay the TOTAL cost of any damage and claim off Holiday Autos.

As this could have been up to 10,000 euros we had to fork out for Goldcars own insurance.

Holiday Autos refused to refund what we had paid them.

We found Goldcar pretty good on the whole and the car was great.

With all the warnings around about car hire it makes it even more difficult choosing!!!

I think a lot of the time it is a matter of luck..

Edited: 12 July 2012, 17:53
Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,467 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Record car hire .........WARNING!!!!

This topic has been threaded here ad-nauseum, but I still maintain that the "cheapest" can often end up being the most expensive. There's usually a reason why they are the "cheapest".

Many will say just stick with the majors, and you'll have much fewer problems. I happen to agree, and it makes sense, because the majors have a reputation to protect. my personal experiences seem to support that theory as well.

Ironically, the main complaint about the majors seems to be that they aren't the "cheapest". Sometimes they are very expensive (I agree), but then again, I've also been quoted a lot more by "El Cheapo" car rental than by Avis, Hertz, and Sixt at times, too.

You have to keep checking and find the best value, but consistently picking the "cheapest" you can find (especially through an "agent") is IMHO just asking to for unpleasant surprises.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Record car hire .........WARNING!!!!

Your final paragraph mallorcat-too right.

cork ireland
Level Contributor
655 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Record car hire .........WARNING!!!!

The quandery now is who are ' El Cheapos' and who are 'Majors'.

No intention of categorising or even asking, but the inference seems to be international companies are Major.

Samobor
Level Contributor
3 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Record car hire .........WARNING!!!!

I have book with doyouspan and find that you are wrong, look at terms and conditions :

A major credit card such as Visa or Mastercard is needed to pay the rental. On arrival you will be asked to prepay the full tank of fuel so please return the vehicle as empty as possible as we are not able to refund money for unused fuel. Please, note that for rentals up to 3 days if you return the vehicle with the same amount the money will be refunded. Minimum age 21 with one year driving experience. Young driver supplement (21-25) 3eur per day max.42eur. Additional drivers have a supplement of 3 euros per day, maximum 30 euros per rental and driver. Customers older than 70 years old must take the extra insurance. Out of hours deliveries are under request at an additional charge of 30 euros for deliveries that take place between 00:00 and 07:00. People carriers (7/9 seaters) are subject to an insurance excess of 600EUR. The Nissan Qashqai group is subject to an insurance excess of 400EUR.