We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palma de Mallorca Sept - excursions/beaches/nature reserves?

Which Palma de Mallorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London
Level Contributor
33 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
Palma de Mallorca Sept - excursions/beaches/nature reserves?

My daughter, late 20's, and I are thinking of going to Mallorca in September for 10 days, possibly Palma. A few beach days, but not horribly crowded beaches, historic castles/houses/ gardens to visit.

Don't want to be stuck in a small place, with limited things to see/do and don't want to hire a car.

Palma sound rather nice, lots to see, so would it be the best place to stay or is it very big and noisy? (Not interested in night life but want good restaurants)

The Soller train sounds like our thing, but are there also coach excursions or bus services to places like the Jardines de Alfabia or nature reserves?

Is La Granja worth a visit? do-able from Palma?

Which are the most attractive beaches/quietest (or is quiet not an option!?) in/near Palma and are they easy to get to?

Any advice appreciated as we have to decide soon!

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Palma de Mallorca Sept - excursions/beaches/nature reserves?

Barabell,

Palma is fun and as you correctly surmise there are many options for restaurants and culture. However, it is unlikely to offer enough variety for a 10 day itinery without venturing further afield as you suggest. Soller shoud definitely be on you list - going out by the train/tram and coming back by bus (cheper and quicker).

As far as nature reserves go I cannot speak for La Granja, having never been. I can recommend both Cala Mandrago and Es Trenc, both nice beaches within nature reserves, and relatively quiet during the week. But you do need a car to get to them.

There are plenty of reasonable beaches between Palma and Arenal that are accessible by bike (which can be hired in Palma) but these are likley to be busier.

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
56,716 posts
3,568 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Palma de Mallorca Sept - excursions/beaches/nature reserves?

www.seemallorca.com/mallorca/valldemossa.html

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Palma de Mallorca Sept - excursions/beaches/nature reserves?

For the Alfabia gardens you will need to take the L211 bus from Palma. This is a request stop so you need to ask the bus driver to stop there. It is situated just before the Soller tunnel on the Palma side by the roundabout.

Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
861 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Palma de Mallorca Sept - excursions/beaches/nature reserves?

The beaches in Majorca are very popular , with good reason , but are not rowdy . Some can be a little bit crowded but not overcrowded , and I always find them to be quietish places , with most people keeping themselves to themselves .

Palma Nova has a lovely stretch of sand , also Santa Ponsa has .

The best beaches are in the north of the island ie Alcudia/ Playa de Muro and Puerto Pollensa . The east coast with Sa Coma , Cala Millor also have lovely beaches with plenty of space .

Cala D'or coves get a bit crowded at times , but still a beautiful place , with a gorgeous marina .

Think you're falling into the trap of thinking Majorca is just a place for loud drunken yobs . Its not !

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Palma de Mallorca Sept - excursions/beaches/nature reserves?

Thank you everybody for your helpful replies, especially the reassurances re drunken yobs!

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Palma de Mallorca Sept - excursions/beaches/nature reserves?

Barabell,

I am sure you have good reason not to want to hire a car, but I would not dismiss it lightly if you want to see some of the more scenic parts of the island. It really is a very simple process despite some of the more alarmist reports in this forum.

The majority of the rental companies are located at the airport and getting between Palma and the airport could not be simpler. Just hop on the No 1 bus and pay E2.50. Provided you then stick with one of the reputable companies and insist on a full/full fuel policy you should not run into difficulties. The day hire charges for most small cars is also very reasonable.

I will conceed that the one issue in Palma is parking. There are many underground car parks including in the old city but the prices can be exorbitant - around E20 overnight. There is plenty of free on-street parking to be had, but not in the old town where it is reserved for residents. However, I have rarely had to walk more than 10 minutes from where I choose to park the car to the centre.

London
Level Contributor
33 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Palma de Mallorca Sept - excursions/beaches/nature reserves?

Thank you. I've only ever driven short distances in France in our car, never a left-hand drive, so it might be a steep learning curve, but I might think about day hire to get to places like the Mondrago park

Newcastle, United...
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Palma de Mallorca Sept - excursions/beaches/nature reserves?

There is also the option of returning from Sollier by boat.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Palma de Mallorca Sept - excursions/beaches/nature reserves?

GD_Yank - unfortunately no boat trips from Port de Soller to Palma - as far as I'm aware. Barcos Azules will do privately chartered excursions but I think the nearest to Palma is Sant Elm.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
1,407 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Palma de Mallorca Sept - excursions/beaches/nature reserves?

barabell - why not split your time between two destinations? Palma is lovely and has a fantastic public transport system to all over the island but I would find 10 days in September too much. Port de Pollensa is very nice with nice beaches and nearby you have the old town of Pollensa (dating back to Roman times) and a short bus ride away the old walled town of Alcudia which is very attractive and the short distance to it's port. Again, a good bus service around here and a great deal more relaxing than Palma.