We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar Rip-off

Amsterdam, The...
1 post
Save Topic
Goldcar Rip-off

Hi there,

Anyone who goes to Mallorca? Never rent a car from Goldcar. It's awful First: they charge you for a full tank: 90 euro's at the pick up and if you argue with them they start screaming that it's in their t's & c's Imagine the island isn't that big so you need to keep on driving. Second: a full tank of a Ford Fiesta can only be filled up with 40 euro of fuel so they bill you two tanks. Third: I got a parking ticket which I paid directly to the local parking guy of about 15 euro's. Did I just received an email from Goldcar that they bill me a fine management fee of 35 euro administration costs because it's in their t's &c's.

So if you would like to get screwed by a bunch of lazy assh.les rent your car at Goldcar, if not take an international trustfully car rental company as Sixt or Hertz.

Since the line of people in front of the office of Goldcar is as big as two planes who just arrived I can imagine all these people get screwed by their travel agency or where eagerly thinking they had a nice deal online. I was one of the last group. So beware of the Goldcard scam it cost you aaaalot of time to get your car, costing twice as more money because of their t's & c's and at the end costing you a looot of frustration .

Have a great holiday on Mallorca, enjoy the awesome beaches.

M

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goldcar Rip-off

I gave up on Goldcars some years ago and now book in advance with Sixt.

A friend of mine recently rented through Goldcars and waited two and a half hours in a line at Palma Airport.

What worries me is that companies like Goldcars are giving Spain a bad reputation and potential tourists will go to other places. But hey, nobody seems to give a dam so why should I care.

Blackpool, United...
Level Contributor
2,090 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Goldcar Rip-off

I have to agree with these comments, although a lot of companies charge the full/empty deal on their cars, which is a total rip off, we used less than half on our recent holiday to Mallorca, fortunately not with Goldcar.

I say fortunately because I don't recall EVER seeing a queue the length of the one that I saw at Palma airport for the Goldcar rental office, anyone would think they are giving their cars away looking at it!!

I'm just glad I didn't have to tag on to the back of it!!

Istanbul
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goldcar Rip-off

I had the same issues and They don't even send me the proof of fine! Never rent a car from Goldcar!!!

London
Level Contributor
616 posts
141 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goldcar Rip-off

Surely if the fine had been paid, the issuing company should not have contacted Gold car in the first place?

The full/empty policy is common place, and yes, all of the companies add margin on to the fuel. I'd rather they were just honest with the price.

newcastle/england
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Goldcar Rip-off

As an agent i am aware of a huge number of problems with Goldcar in both Palma and Alicante.

I have got virtually nowhere with any complaints and will certainly not be using them again in the future.

UK
Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Goldcar Rip-off

Booked Goldcar through an agent at the last minute. On arrival at Palma airport we were met with a massive que although the likes of sixt and Hertz were empty.

It took us two hours to get to the front due to the unbearably slow speed of the desk staff.

Charged over €100 for a tank of petrol and despite having full insurance through Allianz Goldcar insisted that I either took out their insurance at €9:50 per day or they would take €600 security deposit which they would keep should any damage occur and that I would have to claim the money from Allianz.

This company are a total rip off. Don't touch with a barge poll.

Aberdeen (Scotland)
Level Contributor
3,097 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goldcar Rip-off

Can it be a rip off if it is in the terms of your hire contract (OK the actual amount of the fuel charge isn't stated)

I see you can now pay to beat the queues by booking priority check in I was quoted 18 euros for this service when I had a look at prices recently

Sandnes, Norway
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Goldcar Rip-off

Goldcar will always have the cheapest offer on every car rental scanner - like Rentalcars.com - because they don't say anything about the extra insurance you have to pay 47€ for or depose 600€. But when they charge you for 127€ for a full tank of diesel which normally should cost you about 60 to 70€. On a small island you will not need a full tank of petrol. Alle other companies are loosing because of this kind of business principles. Illegal in Norway.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,501 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Goldcar Rip-off

Under Spanish law, charging for a full tank without telling you so is also illegal.

You need to check the fine print T&C's when you book. That doesn't make it OK, but this little trick happens worldwide nowadays, not just in Spain.

I recommend NEVER booking any car company that *requires* pre-payment of a full tank. It's just giving money away needlessly. Might as well flush a €50 note down the toilet.

Sandnes, Norway
Level Contributor
3 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Goldcar Rip-off

I will never rent a car from Goldcar in the future. It is illegal in Norway to sell a product which implies that you are forced to buy extra services to get your gods. All other companies I have tried all over the world (Hertz, Avis, Sixt, Europacar, budget...) has always made it clear that it will cost me extra if I don't deleaver the car with a full tank of petrol. Then I have an option - to pay - or fill up the tank - Goldcar don't give you any option than paying twice the price for petrol. Thats way they can rent you cars much cheaper than their competitors