We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Goldcar Insurance Fraud

Reigate, United...
10 posts
Save Topic
Goldcar Insurance Fraud

We booked a car rental for Mallorca through an online agent rentalcars.com. We booked a fully insured Reno Clio through them with the local agent Goldcar at Palma airport. However, on arrival the agent claimed that we didn't have full insurance and it was impossible to book full insurance online with rentalcars.com. My wife is a translator and speaks and writes fluently in Spanish, the agent only gave us the option to book with full insurance. No other option was provided. at the end, after an hour and a half standing in line and at the desk I was asked to pay. I asked whther she wanted the original credit card or a debit card she said it didn't matter which I paid with. It seems that we should have been asked to leave a deposit with the criedit card to validate the original insurance, something I could have done but we were never given the option. We tried to speak to the booking company a number of times in Mallorca but they never answered and I've now called 7 times from the UK either with no response or the agent hangs the phone up on me. The conidtion of the car was also a problem. One of the rear lights was broken and I had to speak twice with the Police in Cala O'Dor about it and fortunately they were very understanding. We checked the full terms and conditions of our original booking with rentalcars.com and soke with them and they did confirm we were fully insured. Goldcar Rentals are it seems misleading customers, I only wish we'd seen the posts about them before. It's time someone did something about them.

Mentioned in this post
Palma Suites
Palma Suites
352 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Goldcar Insurance Fraud

This is a common problem with car hire companies and Goldcars a very good at convincing the customers that they need this extra insurance.

Fully comprehensive in Spain does not have the same meaning as in the UK. You are not protected for glass damage, tyres and many other items and it is this that their expensive (normally €10 per day) insurance is covering you for.

You can take out annual insurance through people like insurance4you for around £50 which will cover you for these extras.

The problem is, if you don't accept their insurance then they will take a large deposit from your credit card to cover themselves.

Not all car hire companies do this which is why regular hirers like myself always book directly with these more reputable people. I use Sixt who I recommend. Not the cheapest but certainly one of the better companies.

Car Hire is very price driven and a lot of people are drawn in by low headline prices only to find they are clobbered with high fuel and insurance charges. Witness all the sob stories on this forum.

The wait at the Goldcar counter can be up to two hours, Sixt operate an online checkin, just pick up the keys and go.

Edited: 13 September 2012, 11:06
Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Reigate, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Goldcar Insurance Fraud

Rentalcars.com the agent has been very helpful and are looking into wehther the can get the inurance back. The main issue here is we were lied to which goes beyond 'being convinced'. The option of leaving a deposit in our case was never offered and the argumentitive nature of the Goldcar agent left us with little option but to either walk away without a car and find another way to travel with two children and lugage. Customer service after and during the renatl was also either no exisitent or they hung up the phone. If we broke down we wouldn't have been able to get hold of anyone at Goldcar.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,280 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Goldcar Insurance Fraud

Sadly, I think your chances of a refund are zero. You no doubt signed the hire car agreement agreeing to their terms and conditions.

I think it's one of those situations where you need to move on, it's you word against theirs.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Goldcar Insurance Fraud

This topic is of particular interest to me as I have a car booked with Goldcar for Saturday

Let me say upfront that I have booked cars in most parts of the world and have come across almost every conceivable ‘issue’ to do with car rental …so I am possibly a little more aware than some

I would also add that hire rates and optional/compulsory extras is a VERY complex matter and it is very difficult to compare like with like

I booked through my favourite (best service and great prices) broker – Auto Europe

The car reserved is a Ford Focus (or similar!!) Automatic for 7 days – probably end up with Citroën C4 Auto

The price I have paid is £144.62 – inc Zero Excess CDW and 1 additional driver …no fuel as is usual nowadays

Whilst the price has gone up and down over the 2 weeks since I booked (I cancelled once and rebooked to get a better price) the price on the Goldcar site has always been a pound or two more. Today it is (for the Citroën) is 192 Euros or £ 153.13 by my cost of Euros

The T&Cs you get from Auto Europe are very clearly written and they do not try to hide anything. They specifically recommend that you look at the T&Cs of the local hire company that they have nominated.

In both the Auto Europe T&Cs and the T&Cs of Goldcar that I looked at, it makes it VERY clear (as crazypom also says) that certain things are NOT included in the CDW …tyres and glass etc

This is in my experience is not unusual and is now virtually standard practice in the car hire industry ..it may not be good practice but it is very common

It is clearly written in the Goldcar T&Cs that extra insurance is available to cover these items and if you do not take the ‘extra’ insurance then you must leave a deposit of 300Euros. It does not say how much this ‘extra’ insurance will cost you nor can I find it on their website …which is not a good thing

The Auto Europe booking form also does not give the option nor does it show you the Goldcar priority Check-in …. but I have managed to book this direct with Goldcar at a cost of 15 Euros rather than the incorrect 30 Euros shown on the website

I did consider RentalCars.com but they were much more expensive for an automatic and most of the options on offer wanted to charge for all additional drivers. I did note their T&Cs are very similar to the other hire companies and they do include this statement:

‘You will be required to leave a deposit of 150€ + 5% over the rental value’

They make no mention of an extra insurance premium

So, IMHO, it is a little strong to say that your experience was “fraud” … just surprising that you did not know about the alternative security deposit and were not offered it at pick up

I also considered Sixt along with others but on price and choice of car they were not as competitive as Auto Europe / Goldcar

I can’t remember the exact price at the time but today for a week in October they are quoting £314.08 for a Peugeot 308 Auto – with Zero Excess CDW and 1 additional driver….. it was close to this price

It is worth noting that they do quote a price for the ‘extra‘ Tire/ windscreen insurance and Personal Accident Insurance ….. £23.94 and £22.89 per week respectively

Pre-warned is for-armed and I am going to try and find out from Goldcar the cost of the ’extra’ insurance and get confirmation of the deposit if I do not take it

Edited: 13 September 2012, 13:47
Mentioned in this post
Europe
Europe
World
Reigate, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Goldcar Insurance Fraud

Well maybe directly from Goldcar I won't be able to get a refund unless I sue but since I booked the Goldcar Rental with rentalcars.com I'll be able to enforce the distant selling regulations.

Reigate, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Goldcar Insurance Fraud

The booking was through rental cars.com, a German company who then make the booking with Goldcar. The issue is that the insurance is already paid and Goldcar making us sign a second insurance policy is fraud. You can 'double insure' a vehicle it's illegal.

MAIDENHEAD, UK
Destination Expert
for Barbados
Level Contributor
4,798 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Goldcar Insurance Fraud

Alex ...I do not think this is double insurance

The insurance 'included' with your reservation is the CDW but it does not cover the items excluded in the T&Cs. CDW is more of legal thing and is to do with accidents and liabilities etc I have never come across a CDW that covers ALL eventualities and ALL damage

The 'extra' insurance as I understand it (still waiting for a reply from Goldcar HQ) is to insure those items NOT covered by the CDW

To quote from the Goldcar T&Cs on their website

""The damage insurance (CDW) in any case does not include damage to tires, wheels, hubcaps, vehicle interior, interior and exterior mirrors, mirrors, locks, low, clutch, engine crankcase and radiator catalyst. Nor does it include the costs per battery charge, lost keys, towing crane cab to shift after accident replacement vehicle tank or compensation for days of stoppage of the car until repaired. There is the possibility of additional insurance at the time of collecting the vehicle to cover all or part of those risks. Please note that if you do not hire any additional insurance must make a deposit of 300 € (600 € in case of offices located in the Canary Islands) that are blocked on your credit card.""

As a matter of interest how much extra per day did they charge you??

Unless I have misread or missed something on the rentalcars.com website

their T&Cs are VERY similar to those of Goldcar

You have also repeated the fraud accusation and that they 'made you' sign for the extra insurance - was this at gunpoint??

I have been faced with similar attempts to extract extra payments ...but (unless I want it ...which is a value judgment) I just refuse and wave the T&Cs at them ...I always take a copy with me

I think the simple question is ....did you pay something to rentalcars.com for 'extra' insurance ???

Reigate, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Goldcar Insurance Fraud

We did not book a third party insurance. The Goldcar agent at Palma airport told us that the rental we had done through rentalcars.com was not full or comprehensive insurance. She did not give us the option to pay the deposit. If you read the terms and conditions with rental cars.com they describe the insurance as Vollkasko (comprehensive) or seguro todo riesgo in Spanish. To purchase extra insurance is simple doubling the existing cover or double insurance which isn't legal.

The agent, by failing to disclose information, was guilty of fraud i.e. that we did have a Vollkasko or comprehensive insurance and that we could have left a deposit.

The distant selling regulations may come into effect since the rental was performed online i.e. Information required prior to the conclusion of the contract:

So, the simple answer to your question is we paid for comprehensive insurance. The only extras we had to pay had to pay for were fuel and an extra child seat.

Incidentally, being held at 'gunpoint' would have been a relief after standing in line for an hour and a half and after a flight with two children, and faced with an unhelpful, rude and argumentative agent.

Mentioned in this post
Palma Suites
Palma Suites
352 Reviews
Majorca, Spain
Tintagel,Cornwall
Level Contributor
760 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Goldcar Insurance Fraud

Had the same problem in February as reported here.

tripadvisor.co.uk/…0

Got nowhere with either company so they are both off our list.

The car we had with Goldcar was great though and at the time we thought the company was as well but now know differently!

Edited: 13 September 2012, 17:59
Reigate, United...
10 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Goldcar Insurance Fraud

Though we'd booked a Renault Clio and got a Ford Fiesta I thought the car was generally good though as I mentioned it had a broken rear light which was missed when we picked it up because the car was very close to a barrier.

However, trying to contact them about it was impossible. They never answered the phone.

Thank god we never had an accident or broke down or we would have been stuck.