We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire again! Why the price difference?

Selkirk, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire again! Why the price difference?

Hey folks.

Yes, another car hire question about Palma!

I am going to Mallorca from Scotland with my wife and two friends. We are staying for 10 days in July. We are looking to hire something Ford Focus sized for the duration of our stay (because our return flight departs later than our arrival flight, our hire works out to 11 days)

So having read the forums on here, I am extremely wary of who to hire a car from. I would rather pick the car up at the airport, so I have been looking at some of the companies listed on the Palma de Mallorca airport website.

A lot of you recommend Sixt, but quite frankly they want stupid money. (£570). Same goes for Avis (£536) and Hertz (£544).

Then I looked at Enterprise. Their price for the duration was £294. Great thinks me, until I go back to the enterprise website and it's suddenly gone up to £598. Then I spotted the difference: The £294 price was given by www.enterprise.es whereas if you go to www.enterprise.co.uk it's £598. Can anyone explain why? And does anyone know if I will be able to book through the spanish enterprise website?

Now, I know the cheaper firms have a reputation for rip-off insurance waivers, and charging extra for fuel. To be honest, the fuel cost doesn't bother me. Frankly, I would prefer to pay that bit extra for the fuel, to then not have the worry of refuelling near the airport. The insurance waivers do bother me though - especially with stories of those who didn't take them being charged for pre-existing damage. So if you guys can recommend any other (reasonably priced!) car hire firms we can try, I'd be grateful.

Mentioned in this post
Palma
Palma
1 Review
Majorca, Spain
Scotland
Scotland
United Kingdom
Lancashire
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire again! Why the price difference?

Give Terry's a try very reliable mid price, airport pick up, no insurance rip off and extra drivers included, they will charge for a tank of fuel for a ten day hire but you will use it anyway. The other option is record they will probably be the cheapest even after the extras are added on but in mid summer you will have a long wait at collection. I have waited longer than my flight time so no longer use them.

Selkirk, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire again! Why the price difference?

I have dismissed Record based on the fact that, as far as I can tell from their website, I can't add an additional driver. And also the reports of long queues. I have dismissed Gold Car for the same reasons (as well as bad reviews)

I should really have posted this in my original post. I need to add my friend as an additional driver as we have agreed to share the driving.

I should also add, we are in Majorca for ten days in early July (yes, peak season), our flight lands at 11:30am, and our return flight departs at 19:30 (so they are reasonable flight times).

Terrys is a company I had not found while searching, I will give them a look.

At the moment, the best I can find for our needs is centauro. Unfortunately they aren't strictly on airport (I have read on these forums that their office is right on the edge of the airport grounds). For our needs, we can have a Ford Focus petrol from them for €400, or €409 for a diesel version. Then they add €4 a day for an extra driver...

Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
London
Level Contributor
672 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire again! Why the price difference?

Record queuing has got much better - they have greatly improved over the past year, and you can add an extra driver, same price as Centauro. Centauro have a mini bus which takes you to and from their office on the edge of the airport, but you may also find a queue when you get there.

All of the companies have their pluses and minuses, but if you go on price, you may have to accept queuing for a while to get the car. If you have luggage, best to have one of you in the car queue, one waiting for the luggage, that way the overall time is a little bit less, but you cannot do this if you go off airport.

Selkirk, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire again! Why the price difference?

Thanks for that Diecysiete.

Queuing for half an hour or so doesn't worry me, but I don't want to be stood there for 2-3 hours.

And I definitely couldn't find anything about adding an additional driver on the Record website - is this something you can do at the desk on collection?

One thought we had if we need to go off-airport to collect the car is for some of our party to stay at the airport with bags, while one (or two) of us goes to collect the car, then we drive back to the airport to pick everyone up (I am assuming there will be a short stay car park at PMI?)

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,629 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire again! Why the price difference?

I've used Record a couple of times, some years ago though. I definitely did add an additional driver (at the desk if I remember correctly). The big downside for me then with Record was the very poor / damaged state of the car on both collections - I had chosen to pay their extra charges to reduce excess to zero, so there was no debate on whether or not I had caused any damage during the hire period (certainly would have been a big concern if I hadn't got full cover direct with Record)

My current favourite is Sixt (very good for past two years), but it's beginning to look as though they are pitching prices at the Hertz/Avis level - in which case they are going to start losing the good business they've built up in recent years.

If you do send one or two people off-airport for hire car pickup, both drivers must be present at that pickup.

Yes, there is a short stay car park at PMI. But slightly easier for collecting the rest of your party (so long as you use mobile phones) is for the 'luggage people' to go upstairs to departures at the right time and stand outside near the far end of where cars drop departing people off. Car hire people drive to PMI, follow signs for departures, and collect the luggage people from where they are already waiting.

Edited: 24 February 2013, 18:44
London
Level Contributor
672 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire again! Why the price difference?

Yes, you can add the extra driver on at the desk

I use Record 12 times per year, and have not had problems with badly damaged cars.

The car park at Palma airport is free for the first 30mins, but the above suggestion is a good one.

Mentioned in this post
Palma
Palma
1 Review
Majorca, Spain
London
Level Contributor
35 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire again! Why the price difference?

I don't know if the prices your receiving are high because you are going directly through the car rental firms or not, but a quick search with holiday autos for a random 11 days in July brought these results just over the £300 mark.

holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/…

You could also try carhire3000 and easycar.

whenever i hire a car either here or abroad i always take many photos on collection and drop off of the condition which has helped me on several occasions avoiding attempted false damage charges.

Good luck

8. Re: Car hire again! Why the price difference?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 05:17