We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire- yet again!!!!

Bourne, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Car Hire- yet again!!!!

After reading so many posts/ reviews on car hire I'm now more confused than when I started. We are flying to Majorca at the end of May and wanted to hire a car from the airport for 7 days and I'd really appreciate some advice on which companies people recommend. I have got prices from Hertz and Sixt which were both very expensive and really more than we can afford.

As there are 4 of us and 3 cases it can't be anything to small !

Mentioned in this post
Majorca
Majorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
1,600 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire- yet again!!!!

Maybe look at a ford focus, I use record but a lot of TA members won't use them for various reasons.

Whoever you choose don't forget the new Eco tax starts on the 1st April,you will be charged between €3.50-€7 per day extra, this will not show on your quote & will have to be paid at the hire counter.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire- yet again!!!!

Yes your last thread did go a bit astray, might be best if the regular car hire posters leave off this one and just give some sensible advice.

So I will start.

Most of the cheaper operators impose a full empty tariff at an over pump price of about 20% so about €80 for a small car, so an over charge of about €20 as you are on holiday for a week with 4 pasangers you will probably use the fuel, so no problem there.

They will also charge an extra €5ish per day for extra insurance (fully comp no excess so no worrys about any little dings) so all in you will need to add about €55 to your quoted price.

The next problem is service or the lack of it

Record are a good company with decent cars and are to my knowledge never beaten on price, the big problem being the wait time at collection, the have been horror stories I have myself waited longer in the Q than the flight time from the UK so I no longer use them (and it was February)

I have for the last 3 years used Terry's car hire a mid range priced operator, the service is excellent and easy although I think unique, as you just go to the multi story and collect a unattended car, this might be a little nervy for a one off visitor, but has never failed me. The cars are never new and I would guess that they are ex fleet cars from the big boys Sixt, Avis etc but very clean and reliable.

As you have stated Sixt and co are out of you're price range, but do offer excellent service and new cars, although with optional extras ie insurance and additional drivers unless paid up front at the time of booking.

I have hired from them all and I choose to go for the mid price and service.

So in your case if its only down to budget go with Record but be prepared to Q for a while, but get a check price from Terry's and consider the value of your time.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
2,420 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire- yet again!!!!

The Eco tax will apply whoever you use it's set by the government (or is supposed to be)

westmids/calaegos
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
1,383 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire- yet again!!!!

We use centauro all the time and find them very competitively priced.

Manchester, United...
Destination Expert
for Pollenca, Port de Pollenca
Level Contributor
10,629 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire- yet again!!!!

So far (and I hope I'm not tempting fate in saying this) I've never had a bad experience with any car hire company in Mallorca, though some have been better than others and I've been careful who I book with.

Choosing a suitable company is now a minefield (worse than pricing & booking flights) with all the terms & conditions, price options and methods of pricing fuel, insurance, excesses etc. Unfortunately it's down to detailed research and then choosing what seems to be the optimum for your budget, needs & preferences - no easy answers.

My experiences direct me towards (in order of preference, and totally ignoring price) Sixt, Hertz, Avis, Hiper, Record. (And last year's reports on TA indicate OK car hire is a must avoid).

You mention renting at end of May. Half term holidays, maybe ? Potential for long queues at the 'cheapest' hire desks.

Edited: 06 March 2013, 23:28
Bourne, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire- yet again!!!!

Thanks so much for the advice. I have asked today for a quote from Terry's and will wait to see how much that comes out at and will certainly consider Record.

Yes unfortunately we are traveling over half term which is probably why I've been so shocked by the prices! When I saw a good deal for accommodation I didn't factor in how much it might be to hire a car!

Hopefully the queues won't be too bad!

7. Re: Car Hire- yet again!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 07 March 2013, 21:52
North...
Level Contributor
488 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire- yet again!!!!

I have got a good deal with Do You Spain in June.I set the filters to Avis..Sixt and Hertz and got a good offer on Avis. Cheaper than going direct.

Edited: 07 March 2013, 21:51
wirral
Level Contributor
18,926 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire- yet again!!!!

Jewel. Not worrying but tell us how the deal worked out after the event not before.Please.

DoYouSpain don't have many satisfied customers post-hire reporting on this forum.But then satisfied customers don't post, only those who have been let down. The main complaint seems to be the pre-paid booking on turn up to collect car doesn't match the supplier's norm. Result-extra charges. It would be good to hear positive reviews of DoYouSpain.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
956 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire- yet again!!!!

Ive used Vanrell a few times .. good cars and very good rates.

The cars are collected from the 4th floor of the multi-storey opposite arrivals .. never known any queues and paperwork takes minutes. Web address is

www.rentacarvanrell.com

Car returned to same location you collect it from and leave the keys in the boot. Simples !!