We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days in mallorca

Which Palma de Mallorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
28 posts
64 reviews
Save Topic
4 days in mallorca

I would be grateful for suggestions to maximize our time on the island. We will be staying in Palma and have booked a hired car. Is it worth doing the Soller train ride when we can do the road trip? We are not looking to spend time on beaches, we prefer archeological sites, quaint towns, places of interest and scenic routes, aiming to avoid other tourists!

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 4 days in mallorca

Definitely do the Soller train ride and then tram into Port de Soller (PDS). It is a charming journey and both places are well worth a quick visit and you will get views that you will not see from the equivalent car journey. Just avoid Soller on Saturday when it is market day and it is absolutely packed with coach parties (the same applies to Valdermosa on a Sunday). However, from PDS come back to Palma on the express bus which takes only 30 minutes and costs a fraction of the train/tram ride.

In Palma you must do the cathedral and Alumdaiaina Palace, both are excellent. If you are into archeological sites then you might find Bellver Castele interesting but I find it a little underwhelming.

If you are hiring a car just be aware that parking in Palma can be problematic and the main underground car parks are relatively expensive (€ 20+ overnight) but there are free spaces available if you persevere - just avoid the blue bays which are for resident permit holders only.

Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
28 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days in mallorca

Thank you for your tips Nigel. Will avoid parking in Palma, our hotel is on the outskirts for that reason. What about Alcudia and Pollenca? is it all do-able in a 4 day trip? I would like to see as much of the island as possible from Friday to Monday.

Palma de Mallorca...
Level Contributor
3,460 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days in mallorca

Mallorca is pretty big and diverse, so 4 days is not enough time to both >see< the entire island and >enjoy< it at the same time.

besides, many of the best things on the island involve relaxing and taking it in, so you really should pick the 3 or 4 things that you really fancy and stick with those, and come back other time(s) to experience Mallorca's unique culture and diversity.

Camberley, United...
Level Contributor
178 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 4 days in mallorca

I am with Mallorcat in that you should allow yourself time to enjoy the country and food and not pursue a long list of possible destinations. However, since you have a car, one that I would add to the list is a visit to the Formentor peninsula and then a journey home through the Tramuntana mountains - some spectacular views and interesting little hill villages. I cannot comment on Alcudia or Pollenca, I have only driven thorugh briefly and decided not to stop, but they are certainly popular..

London, United...
Level Contributor
958 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 4 days in mallorca

If more traditional Majorca appeals, and losing other tourists, consider a drive through the flat centre. Dozens of attractive small towns and villages with a gorgeous, quiet and atmospheric feel. Try Sineu, Petra, Muro or Arta for example. Possibly doing a loop and ending in Alcudia/Pollenca (not their Port equivalents) before getting motorway back to Palma. The Tramuntana mountains are definitely worthwhile but I'm not sure I would recommend Formentor.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 4 days in mallorca

The drive back to Palma from Formentor via Pollensa,Soller and Andraitx on the Tramuntana route MA-10 will take getting on for 4 hours excluding stops which you will want to make.The scenery is spectacular (no other word for it). I would certainly take in Lluc Monastery a place of pilgrimage en route as you are into places of interest.

The roads won't be too busy in October but they are a challenge for the driver.

Sliema, Malta
Level Contributor
28 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 4 days in mallorca

Thank you. All of you have had some great suggestions! I agree we need some down time to relax and enjoy but also want to explore quaint villages and mallorcan life and take some arty photos which is my hobby! I have heard orient is also worth stopping at. How does it compare to places like arta? So, so far it looks like we should plan one day in palma, one day for the train to Soller and tram, with the bus journey back, and maybe some more time in palma, another day maybe in arta, Petra, sineu and the remaining day doing the north loop with alcudia pollenca and the monastery in Lluc? I'm assuming richmelbarnet that the ports in alcudia and pollenca are nothing to write home about? It's quite a challenge to work out timings and what's doable in a day. I'm not sure I want to be too challenged on the roads in a hired car and I can't take photos while I'm driving so maybe will give the mountain roads and especially Sa calobra a miss!

London, United...
Level Contributor
958 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 4 days in mallorca

Nadya, in my humble opinion you should steer clear of Port d'Alcudia. Port de Pollenca is more attractive and less overwhelmed by tourism, however, it is still definitely a resort. I would give it a miss.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 4 days in mallorca

I support RMB. Much much nicer places in Majorca than Pto Alcudia especially on a short stay.

Scotland
Level Contributor
626 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 4 days in mallorca

You might also want to look at the Caves of Drach, which all of our family enjoyed.