We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Truth about Mallorca in January

Which Palma de Mallorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Topic
Truth about Mallorca in January

Hi TA Forum!

I'd like to go to Mallorca in January. I know--an odd time. But I have vacation time then and I'd like to spend a week on the island just exploring. I've been to lots of parts of Spain but never to any of the islands. Mallorca appeals to me because there is a big city and, from what I understand, lots of pretty little villages. And compared to other parts of Europe, relatively good weather.

For the trip, I'm not expecting to be able to hang out on the beach, but would it be a good enough time weather-wise and otherwise to expect to be able to hang out in Palma, take day trips or overnights to some of the villages (like Deia, Andtrax, Soller, Valldemossa, etc.), and hike, rent bikes, and explore? Or should I expect to get rained on the whole time and to freeze?

We would most likely stay at the Castillo Son Vida. I'm not looking for a super exciting trip--just a trip where I can relax and soak in the sights and scenery, some good eating and drinking, a little shopping, and some reasonable outdoor time. This is a decompressing trip in a beautiful setting--not a trip designed to be one thrill ride after another. But I don't want to be bored, either.

I hear a lot of mixed messages on forums--and some have already closed down regarding Mallorca in January. Some say the little towns will be all closed up in January, too--which is something I'd like to avoid. Any thoughts? Would love some honest opinions. Many thanks,

Benjamin

Malaga, Spain
Destination Expert
for Malaga, Andalucia, Madrid, Zaragoza, Valencia, Seville
Level Contributor
57,578 posts
3,576 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

Benjamin:

Here are weather averages:

holiday-weather.com/majorca/averages/january/

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
18 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

Thanks much. Do you have any idea if it's heavy rains or just occasional rains?

Hartlepool, United...
Level Contributor
1,548 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

I love Mallorca in the winter months & often visit andratx,Pollensa,valldermossa & Palma City,we have had some fantastic weather although it can get chilly when the sun goes down.

I have stayed at the son Vida Castillo hotel & can really recommend it.

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

hi benjalex - we haven't been to Mallorca in January, but we spent two and a half weeks there in February this year and loved it! Previously we had been in April, May, September and October but never in the winter. We spent three nights in Palma, seven in Soller and seven in Pollenca. We went mainly to see the almond blossom, which flowers in January and February, and also to hike.

We loved the atmosphere in all our three bases; much nicer than during the holiday season when there are lots of tourists around. Palma and Soller were especially nice; Pollenca was a little bit quiet at this time of year.

You would have to be careful about where you stayed. Any of the purpose built holiday resorts on the coast will be shut down for the winter. If you stay in a working town, like Soller or Palma itself, you will be fine.

During the day it was really pleasant; we sometimes managed with just a teeshirt but usually with a light jumper, but rarely a jacket. In the evenings it was freezing cold - two jumpers, warm trousers and coat and gloves. One day there was snow overnight. But, on the same day, I had been to the top of a mountain and ate my picnic lunch with only a teeshirt on.

Soller was particularly attractive at this time of year. The orange and lemon trees were laden with fruit, the almond blossom was in flower, and there were beautiful wild flowers in the fields. I think this, and Palma, are ideal places to stay in the winter.

newcastle/england
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

I think the last post sums up things perfectly. ..my own view in winter is that you should stay in no where else except Palma.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
841 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

Although I am biased because I spend more time in Soller than any other place i realise there are other places in Mallorca ie Bunyola, Alaro, Inca, Sineu and Manacor and several others that are open and working throughout the year

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

.... but none as nice as Soller!

Lytham St Anne's...
Destination Expert
for Malta
Level Contributor
8,559 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

Petra is as nice as Soller ------ so there !!!!

Graham

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,881 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

Well, funny you should mention Petra, but we are planning a visit there on Wednesday this week! I have read that some think it is the prettiest village on Mallorca. Is it as nice, or similar, to Fornalutx? We were trying to work out a walk from Petra to Sineu, or vice versa, but it appears that you have to walk along quite a main road. We like the agricultural market in Sineu on Wednesday mornings.

Soller, Spain
Level Contributor
841 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Truth about Mallorca in January

Don't remind me of Sineu Market, I've been banned from visiting it on my own lol.