We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do Not Hire a car from Gold Car !!!!

Hertzlia
Level Contributor
236 posts
129 reviews
Save Topic
Do Not Hire a car from Gold Car !!!!

Keep away from Goldcar (and TravelJigsaw/Rentalcars.com) – Don't use Goldcar unless you have spare money to waste!

I wish I've read this forum before !!!!

We booked a hire car with TravelJigsaw/Rentalcars through our travel agent. Gold Car was the providing company. Never heard of them, so we checked their site and found out that it is a Spanish company, which recently opened offices in Italy, in our case – Malpensa airport, Milan. We assumed, wrongly, that the competitive rate of 263 Euro for an 8 day rental (Ford Focus Estate) was because it was new on the Italian market.

Upon arrival at their office, we found a huge unmoving queue, whereas around us, at Avis-Hertz-Alamo-National, etc., no queues at all. BAD SIGN. When we finally presented our pre-paid voucher (which included damage excess refund insurance), we understood why we had to stand in line for so long…. The clerk was busy selling insurance. He told us, in no uncertain terms, that the pre-paid insurance was "worthless".

He went on to say that unless we take an "extra insurance" of 125 Euros, we could not have the car and would not get a full refund. OR, they will swipe/block 1600 Euros on my Visa card for a minimum of 60 days…. I'm not in the business of lending money – I had no choice but to agree. First rip-off.

Second rip-off - I had to pay the inflated price of 148 Euros for a full tank of diesel (that equates to more than 2.45Euros per liter, whereas the rate at the pumps was around 1.60-1.70 Euros). GoldCar insists that it is returned empty (which I'm sure you'd agree, is very hard to predetermine – everyone returns it at least a quarter full). You get no refund for unused fuel on return.

Instead of 263 Euros, we paid 535 Euros!!! Stay well clear of this company. Never again.

Krynica, Poland
Level Contributor
12 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do Not Hire a car from Gold Car !!!!

Simply always use Hertz or Sixt. No suprise:-) Only preautorisation for full tank and then agreed charge on credit card. It is true that we should read tripadvisor forum - fast return on investment:-) - happy becouse we just returned from PMI having car from Hertz:-) and eating in recommended restaurants...

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do Not Hire a car from Gold Car !!!!

Sadly, this is a very common story with Goldcar customers.

They are a bunch of thieves.

denmark
Level Contributor
36 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do Not Hire a car from Gold Car !!!!

I have found that regardless what the hire company tells you, it is always cheaper to return a car full of fuel.

Steve

Deal, United Kingdom
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Do Not Hire a car from Gold Car !!!!

We booked through Do You Spain and the car hire company was GOLDCAR.in Majorca This was a very poor service with a 2 hour wait for collection on arrival and I am still waiting for fuel refund from May 2014.

Deal, United Kingdom
7 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Do Not Hire a car from Gold Car !!!!

We booked through Do You Spain and the car hire company was GOLDCAR. in MajorcaThis was a very poor service with a 2 hour wait for collection on arrival and I am still waiting for fuel refund from May 2014.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,265 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do Not Hire a car from Gold Car !!!!

Yep, I bet you wish you had spent five minutes reading up on this forum before you booked!!!

7. Re: Do Not Hire a car from Gold Car !!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2015, 05:16