We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soller Train worth it if we could drive instead?

Which Palma de Mallorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
37 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Soller Train worth it if we could drive instead?

We will be in Mallorca next week for our first visit to the island. We are staying outside of Palma and have a car rental for the week to get around. We have heard the experience of the Soller train is charming, but at 28 EUR/pp it's an expense that we would only want to incur (above the cost of the hired car) if the train experience itself is worth it.

Otherwise we are just thinking about driving up to Serra de Tramuntana and hiking a bit, then just heading towards Soller, assuming we can navigate what sound to be some narrow roads and find a carpark to walk around.

What do you guys think? Worth taking the train anyway?

Bodmin, United...
Destination Expert
for Cornwall
Level Contributor
12,549 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Soller Train worth it if we could drive instead?

The train trip is definitely worth doing, but maybe only one way, and then get the bus back. This works out a lot cheaper.

Nobody can say if it's "worth it" to you. It all depends on whether you will enjoy a train ride through spectacular scenery, being able to look at the scenery and not worry about the winding, narrow roads. I would say though, look at the overall cost of your holiday, and compared to what you have already paid, is this a huge amount?

I have been to Majorca too many times to count, and I still enjoy the train ride.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Soller Train worth it if we could drive instead?

Hi,

You do not really have a choice,

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g319794-i9777-k7…

Very strange though to travel all that way and not want to spend a very small amount to see some amazing sites,

I drove the coast road from north to South just a few weeks ago and even though I have done this numerous times I still noticed things that I had never seen before.

Well worth the time and effort to visit this area.

28SAC

Tynemouth
Level Contributor
3,770 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Soller Train worth it if we could drive instead?

hi bluepig1 - the roads in the Tramuntanas are steep and windy but, in December, there will be very little traffic on them so you will be fine.

Don't miss the coastal drive through Valldemossa and Deia to Soller. If you have time, the drive from Soller to the old town of Pollenca, via the monastery at Lluc, is spectacular.

The walk from Soller to Fornalutx, via Biniaraix and back through Binibassi will take you through some of the most beautiful scenery on the island.

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Soller Train worth it if we could drive instead?

Hi, if you take a look at the thread below by chrislovessoller, Tram and Train out of service you will see the choice has now been taken away from you as they are out of service while you will be visiting. This often happens during the winter months for maintenance. You could still drive there though as it is a lovely place to visit or get the bus.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Soller Train worth it if we could drive instead?

Is the train operating?

I refer to the recent post by chrislovessoller 'Tram and Train out of action'.

Edited: 12 December 2013, 12:50
Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Soller Train worth it if we could drive instead?

On the Tren de Soller site there is this message,

The train will be closed for renovation

from December 9, 2013 to January 31, 2014

(both inclusive)

The tram will be closed for renovation

from December 9, 2013 to December 24, 2013 (both inclusive).

There will be a bus between Sóller and Port de Sóller.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Destination Expert
for Cala d'Or
Level Contributor
3,557 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Soller Train worth it if we could drive instead?

Hi Guys and gals,

Is the link that i put on not working because i already referred to that post in post no 2?

28SAC

Exmouth, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Soller Train worth it if we could drive instead?

Yeh it is working and if I had read it properly I would have seen what you put. Sorry about that.

Cala d'Or, Spain
Level Contributor
4,244 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Soller Train worth it if we could drive instead?

Oooops, quite right SAC, didn't take the link.

wirral
Level Contributor
18,927 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Soller Train worth it if we could drive instead?

I am with 28SAC on this. One travels 3,000 miles+ to an island which has started to attract American tourists and then does budget calculations over the viability (when it is operating) of taking what is one of Majorca's major tourist and original attractions.I just don't get it. Annabelle is right, one way on the train and return on the bus.