We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos?

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Midlands
Level Contributor
57 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Mosquitos?

Hi, I'm off to Menorca in 3 weeks, never been before and wondering if there is a mosquito problem at all. For some years we've been going to Greece and Turkey and have to go out smothered in lotion every evening and have a machine in the room, but often still get bitten!

On another subject, just been looking at the weather out there at the moment and I see there are a lot of showers, should I pack a raincoat and umbrella?

Thanks.

Polly

leeds
Level Contributor
42 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos?

Hi just returned and got bitten a few times early evening. Keep the windows closed or pull the curtain over so they dont get in. I use avon skin so soft it seems to deter them (woodland fresh dry oil spray dont use it through the day as its oil and you will burn.

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Minorca
Level Contributor
614 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos?

There are mosquitos here, always put repellent on early evening. There is a make of baby cologne/water available in the shops here called Nenuco, put it on your pulse points and it works a treat. It´s what we put on young children so we don´t have to smoother them in chemicals!

Always use a plug in at night, just be sure to put it on 30mins before you go to bed

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
861 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos?

We're just back from a week in Santo Tomas, and only saw two mosquitoes, one on the first evening when we were silly enough to leave the balcony door open and the light on at dusk, and another one that emerged from a kitchen cupboard as we were clearing out. I am happy to report that neither of those individuals will be doing any more biting. Our bathroom had a plug-in thingy but we never used it.

We weren't out and about much in the evenings, though, so you might need to cover up a bit and used lotions if you are.

And the weather's been great this last week. We did have a thunderstorm one night, and a bit of rain the next morning, and we also had heavy rain one morning, but in both cases it was bright and dry again by mid-morning. We took sweaters and hardly needed them. Hope it stays good for your holiday.

Midlands
Level Contributor
57 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos?

Thanks very much for your replies, we are off on Friday and really looking forward to it. My suitcase is packed already!

Polly

5. Re: Mosquitos?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 September 2009, 11:19