We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time menorca - feb/mar-09

anywhere
3 posts
Save Topic
first time menorca - feb/mar-09

Hello everybody.

Currently planning to go to menorca late feb/mar-09 (family: 2 adults and one baby) but can see a limited numbers of hotels is aviliable/open at that time.

Do anyone on this forum have any good advices/ suggestions where to stay (and is Menorca a place to stay in feb :-))

Thanks you for any replys recived , it is much appriciated.

Mikael

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time menorca - feb/mar-09

Most resorts on Menorca are effectively "closed" at at time of year as the island is very much a summer seaon destination and even early May ( the beginiing of the summewr season) is very quiet. Re weather, I have never been at that time of year but have always been lead to understand that the weather is cold and pretty damp in the wintertime.

Also, because the island is only really geared up for tourists in the summer, unless you are staying in Mahon and are spanish speaking I doubt very much that you would enjoy it very much. Mallorca is more of an all year destination for foreigners as it is a bigger island, but again the weather will not be very good so if you are set on going in Feb/March perhaps somewhere further south would be a better bet

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,800 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time menorca - feb/mar-09

my advice would be ...go later in the year, most places are closed and the weather will not be very good.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
14,750 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time menorca - feb/mar-09

Re my reply above - in case there is any confusion, I meant further south on the planet not on the island

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
1,156 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time menorca - feb/mar-09

Totally agree with the other posts-- all the resorts are closed down & it will be difficult to get direct flights from the UK as even the airlines cut back their schedule in the winter. Monarch operate out of Luton & if they have a Manchester flight it may touch down at Luton.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: first time menorca - feb/mar-09

I'll be going out this feb and can confirm the lack of direct flights at that time of year. There's only one that I can see: the Monarch scheduled from Luton on Fridays. Otherwise it's a flight to Palma or Barcelona transfer onto the Iberia shuttle, as I will be doing going out on a Tuesday.

For what it's worth we have spent the last 2 Feb half terms in Mallorca and have been very lucky with the weather. Mostly sunny and temps 15 - 20 degrees. Although quiet, there are still a number of bars and restaurants open on the south of the island around Palma Nova, Portals Nous and on into Magaluf, and it's certainly cheaper for flights and accom than the Canaries or Madeira.

JtheD

anywhere
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: first time menorca - feb/mar-09

Hi, Thanks for all your replys - it is much appriciated. will delay until may or later.

Thanks again,

Mikael

7. Re: first time menorca - feb/mar-09

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 12:30