We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help... Where to Stay with 18month old in Sept

Essex
2 posts
Save Topic
Help... Where to Stay with 18month old in Sept

Hi

We are seriously considering going to Menorca with our son in September, he will be 18 months old then.

I have been looking at various holidays for a couple of weeks now, having looked at Majorca, The Algarve and Mainland Spain we think menorca might have what we are looking for.

We would like a relaxing holiday but with a few things that our son will enjoy.

We are thinking of Half Board... is this worth doing or do we need to look at AI because the Euro is so strong against the pound :(

We think we have narrowed it down to the following:-

Viva Menorca, Cala'n Bosch

Paradise Club, Cala'n Bosch

Royal Son Bou, Son Bou

We would like a hotel that really looks after little ones, and has things like cots available and highchairs in the resturants etc... we would like a nice pool area he can play safely in, and possibly a little play area or 1 nearby. We would like a child friendly beach, and somewhere nice we can go for a nice walk in the evenings, and possibly have dinner if we fancy it.

I would really appreciate any advice/comments you could give to help me get our family holiday booked :)

Also what will the weather be like at the beginning of Sept?

Hope to hear from you.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Help... Where to Stay with 18month old in Sept

Hi Vicki - well for a start it's good that you've narrowed down your options not just to the island but to specific hotels - I've not stayed in any of them but I think you might prefer Cal'n Bosch to Son Bou.

It's based around a small marina with bars and restaurants close by, and reports back from friends who have stayed there say it's very child friendly. There are also 2 good beaches very close. Son Bou is a great resort but geared up slightly more for older kids IMO. From your choice of 2 hotels in Cal'n Bosch I'd say that the Paradise club has the better (central) location but check out the TA reviews of both and keep an eye out here for more posts as to which is better for the facilities you need.

Just to throw a small spanner in your works so to speak have you looked at Cala Galdana? It also has 2 large hotels which you might find suitable. Santo Thomas is another resort on the south coast that is alot quieter than any of the others.

As for H/B or A/I and the pound/euro rate I think that's a gamble that you have to make based on the economy in September - so your call there.

Weather will be just about perfect at that time of year. August can sometimes get a bit too hot for little'uns but temps start to subside in September although being a small island weather is always a little unpredictable. However expect temps around 20 - 25 deg.

JtheD

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Minorca
Level Contributor
635 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help... Where to Stay with 18month old in Sept

Hi,

Completely agree with JtheD, I would not go to Son Bou, beach not as safe for little ones as Calan Bosch. Personally I love Cala Galdana, beautiful beach and lovely hotels.

September nice time of year to visit, but as always I would recommend a car, so many things to see on the island and you are not stuck in your hotel if weather has an "off" day. Very easy to drive over here only one road from one side of the island to the other, so car always worth it.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
457 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help... Where to Stay with 18month old in Sept

Hi, I agree with Raff about hiring a car, well worth it so you can take in more of the island.

We've been to Cala'n Bosch twice with our young children and really love it. Stayed at the Paradise Club last year which is in a brilliant location with the marina just on your doorstep. Despite being so close to everything we found it very quiet after 11 ish so you can still have a good night's sleep. Viva Menorca also looks very nice but is around a 10 min walk to the marina. Paradise Club has lots going on during the day and a mini disco in the evening which your son will probably just be old enough to enjoy. There's a small baby pool and a couple of larger pools, one of which is walk in and slopes down gradually. The play area at the apartments wasn't great but there are a couple of play parks in the resort. There's also a bandstand just across the road in the marina with live music that young children tend to like too (my son was 20 months when we first went and loved it!)

With regards prices, we didn't find it too expensive, just depends really on how much and what you eat and drink. We went self catering and made breakfast and packed lunch with food bought from the hypermarkets out of resort (much cheaper) and ate out every evening. Locally produced wines and beers are pretty cheap but if you want imported drinks then you will probably find it expensive. Paradise Club does an option to upgrade to Half Board when you get there which last year cost 18 eu per adult and your son would eat free, which might be worth considering if you find it expensive when you get there. We didn't bother though as we enjoyed the resort restaurants.

Jon the Dog mentioned Cala Galdana as an option which is where we are going this year after visiting for the day last year and thinking how beautiful it is. Wherever you decide, I'm sure you'll love, like many others, we find it just perfect!!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help... Where to Stay with 18month old in Sept

You have had various replies about the hotel you have shortlisted so I would like to add to what Jon and the others have said about picking somewhere that is good for you as adults as well as parents. Provided the accomodation is suitable for tinies, at the age that your son is he will be happy to just splash around in the pool or sea with you both and will also be fine snoozing in his buggy as you wander around in the early evening picking out somewhere to eat etc. so I would try and pick somewhere that will give you both plenty of evening options and be slightly more sophisticated than a resort geared up more heavily to families with children that want kids clubs/ child menus and the like. If you hire a car (recommended) you can explore the island and decide which other places might suit you once your son is a bit older.

The weather in early September will be cooler than July or early/mid August and you will also miss the busiest time as the older children will be back at school.Just a tip, but assuming that the Pound to Euro rate is still not good I would take plenty of baby essentials with you if there is room in your luggage allowance - you can buy them easily enough on the island but they will probably be be more expensive than at home

Essex
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Help... Where to Stay with 18month old in Sept

Hi there

Thank you all for your replies..... It has given me alot of food for thought...

I totally understand what you are saying about finding a hotel that isnt just about kids, as he wont be quite old enough to join in that anyway.... So do any of you have any recommendations for the right type of accommodation we should be looking at then? Any part of the island is ok... aslong as it has a great beach and pool, as my little boy LOVES swimming and the water :)

I am open to all suggestions at the moment

Thanks again

Vicki

Devon, UK
Level Contributor
865 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help... Where to Stay with 18month old in Sept

I know this isn't on your shortlist, but we stayed at Santo Tomas in the Lleibeg and Mestral apartments (s/c) with a group including two young children. This was last June, and there was a big new splash pool for the little ones. It's only about knee-deep but has various water slides, fountains etc and the kids absolutely loved it. They even preferred it to the beach, which is also splendid for families - white sands, gently shelving, and only a couple of minutes' walk away.

Santo Tomas is quite small but does have a few restuarants - they're OK but nothing to get excited about. The couple of shops there are quite pricey, so actually if you do cook for yourselves it's worth making a trip to a big supermarket elsewhere (if you have a car). There are nice walks along the coast in both directions.

It may not tick enough boxes for you, but the water-play area simply made the holiday for our two grandchildren.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help... Where to Stay with 18month old in Sept

Hello there, am just going to add my two-pennies. I know Jon The Dog has told you maybe to ditch the Son Bou Idea, which I think is a good call. Beautiful long beach, but thats about it. Jon has a very soft spot for Cala Galdana, and why not? Gorgeous half moon bay, stunning views and a relaxed feel about it. However for me personally I find its a lot quieter than Cala'n Bosch (maybe a good thing), but thats not to say Cala'n Bosch is in your face, pump'in tunes till 4am. Its not, but I think there is more variety and more space in which to wander. I was a rep on the island, though I was never based in any of those resorts. So what I am saying is impartial else I would say go to S'algar or Cala en Porter, but as they wont suit your needs I wont. So Cala'n Bosch has my vote, you will have the little one in a buggy and you dont want to have the hills of Galdana to navigate in any kind of heat. Also Cala'n Bosch is only a short public bus ride from the old capital of Ciutadella if you fancy breaking out for the day.

8. Re: Help... Where to Stay with 18month old in Sept

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2009, 14:38