We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Norwich, England
Level Contributor
56 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

We were thinking of staying in Cala Galdana but are now looking at Ciutadella (Port Ciutadella hotel) - which of the 2 would you recommend?

we want a relaxing hotel where we can walk from the hotel in the evenings to local restaurants to sample spanish cuisine and have quite a few to choose from.

We also enjoy visiting places of interest.

Your suggestions would be very much appreciated - we are hoping to go in September.

Thank you

Ruth (travels039)

Merseyside
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Hi,Ooooh,This really depends on what you are wanting.They are really different.I love cala Galdana for its lovely horseshoe bay of golden sand and shallow blue water.Perfect for a stroll in the evening with a good choice of eateries and little shops.Ciutadella is where I would head off to shop.A lovely church in the square and plenty of harbourside eateries however for me it would be like having a holiday in a city to stay there rather than a beach holiday.Personally I would choose Galdana and go for a day to Ciutadella.Hope this helps.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Hello

You have chosen well - Menorca is lovely and if you are prepared to explore you will find stunning beaches dotted all over the island. I am attaching a link to the website of the company that runs the Port Cuitadella Hotel that you mention http://www.sethotels.com/?lang=en. I do not know the hotel personnally, but the SET Hotel chain also run the Hotel Santo Tomas ( in Santo Tomas) which is very nice and also the Port Mahon ( in Mahon) which comes highly recommended for customer service by an aquaintance on mine who goes there for 3 weeks every summer.

What size and age group is your party? If you are all adults the recommendations that you will get for places to stay will be different from those if you need a more child friendly trip.

Norwich, England
Level Contributor
56 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Hi

Thanks for replying.

We are a couple in our 40's without children.

We like to see the 'real' place rather than purpose built tourist attractions.

We don't like to sunbathe on the beach but enjoy seeing the sea and relaxing by a pool.

We like to explore the area.

Warrington, UK
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

We stayed at the Hotel Port Ciutadella in Sept 06 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary and absolutely loved it. The rooms and the service were excellent. We walked to the harbour each night for dinner (about 10/15 minutes stroll) and loved being in the centre of things. We also love Cala Galdana, and wondered about staying there, but felt we would need to drive out to different places to eat. So now we stay in Cuitadella and drive around during the day visiting lovely beaches, and lets face it there are lots of them, and then of an evening we dont need the car and can walk to any kind of restaurant we want. Last September we stayed in the Hotel Patrica, which has an excellent location and is cheaper than the Hotel Port, but we do prefer self catering really. We are booked to visit Menorca again next September but not booked our accommodation yet. I am sure wherever you stay on Menorca you will love it.

Northern Ireland...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,313 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Having stayed at Cala Galdana, i could not recommend it enough, only been to Ciutadella for day trips so can't advise on staying there, but given the choice i would plump for Galdana.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Hi Ruth

I've read both your threads so take this as a reply to each of them. I agree that Galdana and Cuitadella would be completly different hoplidays. Galdana is resort based while Cuitadella would be nearer to a city break destination IMO. So....... at the risk of reapeating myself too much and having the village ovderrun with TA readers I'm going to put my neck out and recomend Fornells.

It's a traditional fishing village on the north coast, has a working harbour, arguably the best cuisine on the island with a great choice of restaurants, compact (everything walkable within 10 mins), and a great base to explore the whole island being in the center of the North. There's no beach as such but a large decking area that the locals use for swimming but I see that you're not great beach people. Above all it has a feeling of being "real" without the trapings of the larger towns such as traffic and noise like Cuitadella or Mahon. I think from reading what you're looking for it maybe just the ticket.

You said on your other thread that you wanted a good quality hotel - Fornells being quite small doesn't have any large hotels but here is a link to the best small one in the village:

http://www.hostalfornells.com/webFlash_en.htm

If you need any more info let me know - I'd be interested to know what you finally decide.

JtheD

Norwich, England
Level Contributor
56 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Thanks JTD and to everyone else who has replied so far.

Decisions , decisions!

I'd almost decided on Ciutadella as the hotel seems to be in a quiet place but the town (sorry should that be city) sounds very interesting.

I'm not sure now - I'd looked at Fornells before but thought it might be very windy - especially in mid-September -? and didn't think there seemed to be many restaurants around - obviously I was wrong! Also I hadn't been able to find a hotel in Fornells itself - all seemed to be directing me to Playa Fornells which was a definite no no for us.

Have you stayed at the hotel you've sent me the link to?

Thanks again

Ruth

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,855 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Hi Ruth

For the sake of anyone who clicked on Jon-the-dogs link to the Fornells hotel and was confused about the pricing structure - like the north americans, spanish tend to be write dates using month:day:year so for example 8/6/2009 is 6 August 2009 not 8th June.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Hi again Ruth

It can get a bit windy - that's why there are 2 sailing schools on the bay (the calm sea state of the bay is the other big bonus), but unless you are unlucky and get hit by a storm you hardly notice it. I've been out sometimes when it's blowing force 4 in the bay and windsurfers are tearing along, while it's still comfortable to wear just shorts and t-shirt in the village.

As for restaurants there are loads too choose from. Fornells is famous for it's fish restaurants and the local dish Caldara de Langosta (Lobster stew - very expensive). Most of these places have a very wide ranging menuif fish is not your thing. There are also a few smaller eateries and a couple of tapas bars, but regulars to the village like us tend to stick with 3 or 4 that we know well (and they know us too)!

We have an apartment in Fornells so I've never stayed in any of the hotels there but a friend of mine did stay in Hostel Fornells and said is was great - fantastic pool, excellent service, clean and comfortable, although it obviously won't have some of the facilities that you might expect from a large hotel in Mahon or Cuitadella. We quite often pop in for a drink at the bar and it's a little oasis of a place - a proper tardis it looks so unoposing from the front but go inside and it opens up around the large pool with more rooms behind. All marble floors and very swish! I put up a link some time ago giving all the accomodation in the village proper rather than Pl de F down the road. Here it is:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g666974-i11652-k…

When we have friends to visit and our apartment is full we have put them up in apartments C'an Digus - for no other reason than that it is oposite our place. Reviews here vary considerably.

JtheD

Norwich, England
Level Contributor
56 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Thanks again JtheD.

We are going to go with your suggestion - providing the hotel has availability - I've just sent them an email so fingers crossed.

Regards

Ruth