We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Norwich, England
Level Contributor
57 posts
56 reviews
Save Topic
Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

We were thinking of staying in Cala Galdana but are now looking at Ciutadella (Port Ciutadella hotel) - which of the 2 would you recommend?

we want a relaxing hotel where we can walk from the hotel in the evenings to local restaurants to sample spanish cuisine and have quite a few to choose from.

We also enjoy visiting places of interest.

Your suggestions would be very much appreciated - we are hoping to go in September.

Thank you

Ruth (travels039)

Mentioned in this post
Cala Galdana
Cala Galdana
1,050 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
Ciutadella
Ciutadella
Menorca, Spain
Port Ciutadella
Port Ciutadella
875 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
BOAT TRIP
5 Reviews
from US$69.00*
Sail Boat Sunset Trip in Menorca
2 Reviews
from US$71.40*
JEEP SAFARI
7 Reviews
from US$77.40*
Merseyside
Level Contributor
229 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Hi Ruth,Good luck with your booking.As with all the other posts I am sure that you will love Minorca wherever you go.Have a great time.x

Norwich, England
Level Contributor
57 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Thanks very much

Ruth

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
618 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Been following your enquiry and the replies. I totally agree with your decision to go for Fornells - you will never regret it.

Hope you are fortunate with your booking enquiry - if you have problems then JontheDog or I will do our best to assist.

What dates in September are you going?

And by the way, don't worry about its being windy. The prevailing wind is North or North-East, and Fornells being on the North coast can be, unsurprisingly, windy. But this is only relative. The very strong wind (equivalent to the Mistral in France) is called the Tramontana (means "North" in Spanish !!) and it tends to blow for a couple of days a month. Pattern is, first morning very strong - but good for a stroll up to the headland to see the waves breaking. Quieter in the afternoon. Next day, fresh but far less strong. Don't get confused - the fact that the wind may be from the North on a particular day doesn't mean it's "A TRAMONTA". Just that it's a north wind...............And if you are there during the hot weather, a fresh wind can be just what you are looking for, keeping things comfortable.

Mentioned in this post
Fornells
Fornells
Menorca, Spain
France
France
Europe
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
618 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Been following your enquiry and the replies. I totally agree with your decision to go for Fornells - you will never regret it.

Hope you are fortunate with your booking enquiry - if you have problems then JontheDog or I will do our best to assist.

What dates in September are you going?

And by the way, don't worry about its being windy. The prevailing wind is North or North-East, and Fornells being on the North coast can be, unsurprisingly, windy. But this is only relative. The very strong wind (equivalent to the Mistral in France) is called the Tramontana (means "North" in Spanish !!) and it tends to blow for a couple of days a month. Pattern is, first morning very strong - but good for a stroll up to the headland to see the waves breaking. Quieter in the afternoon. Next day, fresh but far less strong. Don't get confused - the fact that the wind may be from the North on a particular day doesn't mean it's "A TRAMONTA". Just that it's a north wind...............And if you are there during the hot weather, a fresh wind can be just what you are looking for, keeping things comfortable.

Mentioned in this post
Fornells
Fornells
Menorca, Spain
France
France
Europe
Norwich, England
Level Contributor
57 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Hi dogdad

Thanks very much for your offer of assistance and the info.

We were hoping to go on 11th September but we may have to move this now to the 2nd October - I hope it won't be too rainy? I appreciate that the temperature will be a little lower but that's fine with us.

I am waiting to hear back from the hotel but will need to recontact them regarding the dates now.

Regards

Ruth

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
618 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Your latest indicates that you are going to Menorca in October. This is, of course, knocking at the end-of-season door, but I think you will like it. Almost everywhere will still be open, restaurants have restored their menu del dia to the evening (tends to be lunch only during the high season) and the weather can be super. Not as hot as earlier, maybe a shower or two, but very nice and if you enjoy walking it's an almost perfect time of year.

Accommodation-wise you should find a lot of places available.

Enjoy.

Mentioned in this post
Menorca
Menorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,489 posts
1 review
Save Reply
17. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Ruth - Check your PM's - We're working on it!

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,221 posts
192 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

I used to be a holiday rep on Menorca, during Summer 2000 and 2001. I can vouch that Fornells is a very nice place, even for me, at the time aged 21/22, I loved to go visit it. I was fortunate enough one of the seasons to work part of it in Son Parc and was able to drive along to fornells for lunch during my siesta's. I love driving along side the huge bay and also the view from harbour back to the centre of the island and Mt Toro. Always visit it again when I go back to Menorca. It can be very, very, very quiet of an evening but agree its a great base from which to explore the island as its fairly central. Most visitors end up at one end or the other and have long journeys to visit the other sides. I really hope you enjoy your stay on an Island I have a great fondness for.

Mentioned in this post
Menorca
Menorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Fornells
Fornells
Menorca, Spain
Son Parc
Son Parc
Menorca, Spain
Norwich, England
Level Contributor
57 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Sounds wonderful - thank you

Norwich, England
Level Contributor
57 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
20. Re: Ciutadella or Cala Galdana?

Hi Jon The Dog - just got back from a fantastic week in Fornells - thank you very much for the suggestion - we are so pleased we stayed there and very much hope to return at some point in the not too distant future.

Regards

Ruth

Mentioned in this post
Fornells
Fornells
Menorca, Spain
Get answers to your questions about Menorca