We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what area to stay in? advice please

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
manchester
1 post
Save Topic
what area to stay in? advice please

Hi,

We are planning a trip to Menorca - two children 6 and 2 are with us.

We 'think' we have narrowed it down to Binebeca and Punta Prima. We would like a quiter holiday - not bothered about bars/nightlife etc but wouldlike nice restaurants. the apartments we have found- one is in binebecr vell 10 mins walk from the beach the other is 2 mins walk from punta prima beach.

Which of the 2 resorts do you recommend? Or if none - any others?

which is the nicest beach?

and we can go 1st wek in June(worried about weather) or Mid July?

thanks for any suggestions

Kelly

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: what area to stay in? advice please

Hi - I think you've picked the right area of the island (South East) for the type of holiday you are looking for.

I've not "stayed" in either place but know them both fairly well. Punta Prima has the better beach IMO but that means it can get very busy - especially as alot of locals from mahon have a second home there and come for the weekend. The beaches of Binibeca are narrower but there's two or three to choose from and they go further back inland with pines behind for shade.

Binibeca's "fishing village" style apartments won high praise when they were first built - it's a little warren of cottages connected with narrow alleyways but you must have found somewhere else going slightly more towards Punta Prima as these are only 1 min from the beach.

Restaurants - limited choice in Binibeca - more choice in Punta Prima.

Weather is always a gamble on a small island! You would be guaranteed more sunny days in mid July but some years it can get TOO hot for very small children. Early June SHOULD be great but you could get the odd day of rain.

Best to see who replies here that has actually stayed and eaten out in these 2 places before you make a descision, but other places to maybe have a look at include Son Parc or Santo Thomas for July and Cala Galdana or Cal'n Bosch if you decide on the quieter June option.

JtheD

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,207 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what area to stay in? advice please

I can recommend Santo Tomas for a family with children of yours' age - the beach is never really crowded nor is there any distance to get to it if you use either the Mestral & Llebeig ( FIrst Choice), Appartmentos Playa Santo Tomas ( direct bookings through SET hotel chain), Hamilton Court or Vistamar appts(direct bookings through "Mossa" or in Thomson brochure) altho the Vistamar appts may be a bit cramped for you with two little ones as they are studios. Have a look at my posts for inf on accom. & the resort generally and let me know by private email if you want more specific inf. If after research you think Santo T is a little too quiet Cala Galdana is lovely and if you go in early June you will miss the UK halfterm school holidays dates

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Minorca
Level Contributor
628 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what area to stay in? advice please

Hi,

Personally I would go for Punta Prima as the beach is not far to walk to, however Binibeca's beach is probably nicer.

In punta Prima the bars and restaurants are all close together, in Binibeca they are spread out between Binibeca Nou and Binibeca Vell.

There is a land train that runs from punta prima to Binibeca, very handy.

Also in Punta Prima there is an excellent childrens pool at the Barcelo Hotel, which, as long as you buy a drink the kids can use. There is also a very nice kids park.

My daughter is 3 and although Binibeca is very pretty I would choose punta prima for variety.

Raff

4. Re: what area to stay in? advice please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 14:30