We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flight path

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
England
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
flight path

Hi

We have just booked a flight to Mahon for the first 2 weeks in April. We have decided on Cala en Porter because of it is near the airport, does anyone know if the planes fly over Cala. We are checking because we did the same in Sharm El Sheikh where we booked an apartment near the airport and the planes flew directly over our apartments which was hair raising to say least at times and some of the Russian planes were extremely big.

Cheers Manch2008

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
990 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: flight path

Hi,

The planes do fly over but CnP isn't on the approach flightpath. You will probably notice them when they are coming in to land. They are still at a good height heading out to sea to make their turn & final approach.

Carol

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: flight path

Manch - You'll have no probs with aircraft noise wherever you stay. Menorca airport is very quiet by other standards and is only open in the day-time. The flights that do come in fly over either the Binibeca area to the South or the Es Grau area to the North, depending on the prevailing wind and approach.

The prefered aircraft approach is from the South, following the South coast from the West and turning sharply left before landing. This manouvre (sp?) happens well out at sea so little noise is heard.

It's nothing like Sharm - much less traffic - the only place to see low aircraft on the island is near Binibeca and some go there just for that! Flights stop at around 22.00 even in high season and the airport effectivly shuts down for the night. First flight out in the morning is prob one of the commuter planes to either Palma or Barcelona at approx 07.00. - You'll all sleep easy!

JtheD

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flight path

If you like to watch aircraft activity, just take the back road from es Canutells to Sant Luis, this road passes the southerly runway threshold. However in April the traffic will not be so busy as it would once the summer commences in May. The airport does enforce a curfew, and this is strict. I remember while repping there in 2000. We had a Sabre Airways flight from Manchester land, but went tech, they managed to fix it but by then they could not depart and the whole flight had to be put up in hotels for the night. As this was August accomm was sparse and the inbound passengers had obviously taken the rooms vacated by the outbound passengers. We ended up in coaches and micro-buses all over the island at unearthly hours, putting guests anywhere. The Lord Nelson in Santo Thomas was where I was sent with disgruntled passengers. We didnt even feature that resort and I lived in Mahon - hellish!

Good Days though.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: flight path

Ermm........ Manch, I must have "crossed posts" with Caroliner (HI BTW!) she hit submit before I had finished typing. Her advice is good also but I see now from your OP that you are planing on going in the first couple of weeks of April!

I can defo say for sure that you won't have a prob with aircraft noise as the island is effectivley shut at this time of year. Bars and restaurants will mostly be closed and you will find very little else open. I'm very supprised that you've managed to find somewhere to stay in what must be regarded as the "closed season" - the island opens up proper in mid May. Caroliner is an expert on Cal'n Porter - see what she has to say.

JtheD

England
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: flight path

Hi

Thanks for your reply there are a number of apartments open in April and have sent off a few emails.

We have recently retired and so will not be looking for the nightlife just to get away and perhaps enjoy a few days of sunshine like today in Manchester and experience the Island. We prefer not to go in the high season because of the heat and crowds.

Its good to hear that the planes will not be flying directly over us and thanks for all the input we have received.

regards

Manch.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: flight path

Sorry Manch - do forgive me in presuming you wanted a more "resort based" holiday. It looks like you've done your research and are quite happy to stay away from the high season crowds and enjoy a little bit of good weather.

I hope you enjoy it and when you say you want to "expirience the island" I take it that you mean you'll be hiring a car for at least a few days. That's highly recommended as like I said before the resort based attractions and restaurants will, with a few exceptions, still be closed for winter.

If you've not booked yet then for your info other places you might be interested in (with a little more open in April) include Es Castell, Punta Prima or the inland towns (Mercadal comes to mind)

If you're dead set on Cal'n Porter tho I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Have a good, and very relaxing, break

JtheD

Newtownards, United...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
7,902 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: flight path

You will be glad it's not this flight path then !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2LBVuc1pVk

England
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: flight path

Thanks for the link of the landings. We stayed in Naqq bay in Egypt and the planes came over extremely low as the apartments were at the end of the take off runway in Sharm. I mentioned before the Russian planes were very low and the engines very loud to the extent that sat in the apartment we ducked a few times! We also spent sometime on the roof terrace watching the planes take off all good fun! Apart from that loved Egypt.

Regards

Manch2008

England
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: flight path

Hi

Thanks for your info, we will look at the other areas you have mentioned. Yes, we will hire a car at some point but we will also use the local transport because if gives the driver a chance to see the Island. Usually there is a winter bus service at that time of the year, is that also correct for Menorca. Also, do you know if there are any nature trails, or nature reserves, we haven't had chance to check on the internet as yet.

regards

Manch2008

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,526 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: flight path

Hi

Most of the north of the island is a nature reserve (with nude bathers on the more remote beaches although probably not in April)! There are interesting places all over the island and the "Cami de cavalls" walk along certain parts of the coastline which is hoped eventually to go the whole way around, but you will need a car to access them especially out of season. Try googling menorca nature or similar to do some more research but www.illesbalears.es/ing/minorca/nature.jsp… should start you off on your way.