We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Xcapewithus

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
199 reviews
Save Topic
Xcapewithus

This accommodation provider ceased trading on 30th April. They took my money and booking on 13th!!! Not happy.

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
990 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Xcapewithus

Hi there,

Sorry to hear that you've lost your accommodation.

There are so many ways to book holidays nowadays, customers are more confident about booking independently, but I still like to go with a recognisable name. It may be a bit more expensive but at least you have all the protection of ABTA & ATOL.

I hope you get your holiday.

Carol

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,474 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Xcapewithus

What'cha going to do about it Poppy? Don't let it rest!

JtheD

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
520 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Xcapewithus

Very sorry indeed to learn this. Hope it hasn't messed you up entirely. As JtD suggested "Set the dogs on them !!"

When were you due to go?

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Xcapewithus

Hi everyone

Have emailed Xcapewithus, as they requested, and also the people at the accommodation, but, as of yesterday, hadn't had a reply. Will be checking in a mo.

We're booked for 23rd September for a week, so if we've lost the money, which seems likely, I'll book with someone else. I'd used Xcapewithus previously, and were very happy with the service provided; so this time, very stupidly, I paid from our bank account to avoid credit card charges. Yes, I know, I know. We have travel insurance free from NatWest, but I doubt that they cover for this. Luckily, it was only £162, and I can rebook for about £166, at the moment, so it's not a fortune lost. At the same time, we can't afford to throw money away.

Will keep you posted.

sk2
liverpool uk
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Xcapewithus

yeah sorry to hear that,

i just rang my hotel, i travel the 5th May and my booking was cancled by xcape with us on the 30th when they ceased trading.

So i have to pay again and get a refund from my credit card company,no notification from them we just saw the news on line purely by accident.

Dont let it ruin your trip!

Regards

Sean

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Xcapewithus

Glad you had the good sense to book by credit card Sean. For the first time ever I didn't - what a fool. I've had confirmation that Xcapewithus will not honour the booking, and it looks as if they weren't ATOL registered, the insurance doesn't cover it, so I have no comeback whatsoever. Thankfully, it wasn't a huge amount. But as you say Sean, I won't let it spoil the trip; the flights are booked, and I'll rebook the apartments with another provider, or book direct, and PAY BY CREDIT CARD!!

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Xcapewithus

Oh it just gets better and better! I phoned the apartments direct and they're adamant that they close on 20th September. So as we booked for 23rd for a week, Xcapewithus should never have accepted our booking in the first place. Have just spoken to Travel Republic as they are still accepting bookings for this date. They're going to check and get back to me today/tomorrow. Deep joy!

York
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Xcapewithus

I really do feel for you. Like you said it isn't a huge amount but that isn't the point.

Check with your Home Insurance provider to see if you have legal expenses cover. If you do then explain your case to them. They will be able to let you know if you have any options to recover any money whatsoever. I doubt it but it doesn't hurt does it especially if it doesn't cost you anything? Your case is slighly different if they should not have accepted your booking.

Good Luck.

Brighton, England
Level Contributor
1,275 posts
199 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Xcapewithus

Thanks Duggers, I'll give it a go.

York
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Xcapewithus

No worries.

It will all depend on whether they took your booking for something that didn't exist i.e. the apartments are closed. Highly illegal I would have thought.

Even if you do not have legal expenses cover I would fire off an email to the Administrator stating what has happened and attach a copy of the email from the apartments saying they are closed on that date. You could get some advice from a consumer forum. Send me a PM if you need to and I can let you have a name of one that people I know have used.

Let us know how you get on.