We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

festival of st john/joan

northwest
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Topic
festival of st john/joan

Is the festival of St Joan(23rd&24thJune) worth going to? How long does it last for;ie what time does it start and finish etc..

Also for a convenience of location would anyone recommend staying at Cala Blanca so that we could get a bit of pool and beach time in during our holiday too...we would like to be within easy travelling distance of Cuitadella and do not want to hire a car.Though we were a bit put off with the cost of the initial airport transfer costs and time;perhaps there is a more suitable holiday location that could be considered?

any help and suggestions would be very gratefully considered.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: festival of st john/joan

Hi Bunny, of all the fiestas on the island this is the "Big One" a little background info here:

www.emenorca.org/home_en.jsp?file=7&idi=en

First off I've got to say I've never been, I have enough trouble returning to some state of normaility after the Fornells fiesta (St Antoni) where we are based. That one's relitivly small by standards and I'll base the rest of this reply on what I know about it. So to your questions:

< How long does it last > Well over a few days of course, but timing wise while "events" start during the day, the main Jaleo is usually early eve and the drinking and partying will carry on to the early hours of dawn.

< would anyone recommend staying at Cala Blanca.....we would like to be within easy travelling distance of Cuitadella > An ideal base IMO. Close enough to all the action, but far enough away to get some shut-eye when you've had enough.

< we were a bit put off with the cost of the initial airport transfer costs and time > It's about 50 EUR and 45 mins by taxi from the airport each way. Hire car would be around 200 for a week - are you sure that's not an option?

A couple of things to bear in mind:

Plan your trip into Ciutadella (and back) carefully - busses will be on a very reduced timetable and taxis won't be able to get near the centre due to road closures.

It will be extremly busy - as I said before this is "the big one" and practically the whole island's native population will descend on the place - expect around 60,000 people crammed into the heart of the town during the main festivities.

All bars and restaurants will be closed except for a street side service - it's pomada or beer in plastic cups and street style junk food (burgers, kebabs etc) only. The mood of the crowd will be Eurphoric - slightly drunken maybe but one of the friendliest vibes you will ever witness.

Enjoy it

JtheD

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Menorca
Level Contributor
644 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: festival of st john/joan

The festival is VERY busy, but amazing. Buy a magazine when you arrive called the ROQUETA, you will find details and time tables in there.

DO NOT go with children, it is much too manic. Also keep a watch on cameras and things, crime rates are low on this island but there are so many "mainlanders" that come over for that festival that pickpocketing tends to rise....

JtDog is right, plan your trip before you go...or book a planned excursion with a tour operater.

northwest
Level Contributor
8 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: festival of st john/joan

Thanks so much for the excellent information and advice.This is going to be really useful especially as I have never been to the festival or Menorca.

Will definately take note of what you have advised.Thanks again! BunnyNorthwest

4. Re: festival of st john/joan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 November 2009, 05:32