We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Menorca first time on Friday!

Lancashire
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Menorca first time on Friday!

My husband and I are off to Santo Tomas on Friday with our 4 children, ages 5, 9 and twins 11, their first time abroad! We are staying at the Mestral & Lleibig Apartments, I have had details from MenorcaRegular about it and it sounds perfect for us. I've read the posts about the beaches and just wondered how is the beach directly in front of the Mestral? Does it have a fair amount of sand or would we have to walk a bit further?

Also, how is the water, I intend to buy bottles of water to drink, but can you brush your teeth with it and is it okay to have their ice cubes? I don't fancy any dodgy tummies!

Apart from breakfast, I don't plan to do any cooking at all! I like to eat out on holiday. I would love to hear peoples' opinions about restaurants/places to eat.

Many thanks!

York
Level Contributor
426 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Menorca first time on Friday!

Follow the info from MenorcaRegular and you won't go wrong.

We stayed at the Mestral & Llebeig in May and had a great time. The main beach in ST is across the road from the apartments. Just go down the side of the Lord Nelson and you are there!!! This part of the Beach has the most sand on it. As has been posted on here before it is fine I promise you.

We used the water to brush our teeth but bottled for the kids. Didn't want to take any chances with them.

We enjoyed eating at Es Pins in the evenings. Great view with the added bonus of having a kids playground next to it. Also ate at Malibu which was ok. Great location though.Some of our party had the Menu del Dia at the Don Tomas and said they enjoyed it. It did appear good value as well.

There will be info in your room about the apartments e.g. how to dial from room to room. On the back of that is a map of Santo T showing where things are.

We enjoyed it so much we are looking to go back for a sneaky week later this year. Definitely going back in 2010 though.

Lancashire
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Menorca first time on Friday!

Thanks for your reply, it's great to hear directly from people that have been where we are going!

It all sounds great, I feel that once we have had our first holiday abroad we might become hooked, I love Centre Parcs Sherwood Forest, but we rarely get good weather when we go!

The children are beside themselves with excitement! (me too!)

I promise I will be back on in two weeks to report on my holiday, I have really enjoyed reading all the posts before I go, I feel better being more prepared.

Thanks again.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Menorca first time on Friday!

yep, this is Regulars base so she's the best for advice here. Must say I was very impressed when she showed us round the Mes/Lleb appartments a few weeks ago - every concievable extra included there. Great base for a family holiday.

As already said, no probs with the beach where you are - still plenty of sand and loads of space. If you wanna go off exploring tho take the path behind the victoria playa hotel for 20 mins to the far end of Son Bou beach - fantastic stretch of sand over a mile and a half long - but don't go too far or you'll be in clothes free teritory which the kids might not appreciate LOL!

Have a great time, look forward to your report on your return.

JtheD

York
Level Contributor
426 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Menorca first time on Friday!

You will have a great time.

Make sure you go to your welcome meeting to intriduce yourself to your Rep. You never know if you will ned their help.

Say Hi to Edel the First Choice Rep. She is the Irish girl. She was fantastic with helping us out with a bit of a problem. Just tell her it was my son who made her the Ben 10 watch. She'll understand.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,493 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Menorca first time on Friday!

Hiya

Just a quick word to say have a good time. Re water, we use the tap water for teeth ( but you may want to use bottled if your children are inclined to swallow it. emma at the pony club told me a few years back that some of the locals drink the stuff too but not sure about that one ( I think the main prob is taste rather than quality but I wouldn't riskv it. I have stopped using bottled for cooking ( it gets boiled after all) but for everything else I use the bottled stuff - buy it in big bottles.

Nearest direct access to the beach to go down the pathways alongside the mini golf/tennis court or on the opposite side of Las Dunas onto the broad path (part of the cami de cavals) using the wooden walkway that it directly outside the Hamilton Court appts - couple of mins max!

Have a great time. If coming home your kids want to use the Airport Burger King make sure you get into the queue quick - the service is rally slow!

Lancashire
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Menorca first time on Friday!

Thanks everyone!

I've written down in my little notebook all your recommendations about places to go/eat.

Just two more questions I just thought of.

MenorcaRegular, I'm sure you will know this, I know you said the Mestral provide towels for the apartment, but you're not allowed to use them by the pool, well can you hire towels or do I have to bring my own. I've packed beach towels to sit on but wondered whether I needed extra to dry ourselves off?

Also, my husband has to bring his laptop with him so he can pay his lads wages while we are away, he's hoping to be able to get internet connection via his mobile phone, but if this doesn't work, does anyone know where we can use our laptop on someone elses internet connection?

thank you :)

YORKSHIRE
Level Contributor
307 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Menorca first time on Friday!

no problem can pick up internet on blackberry or most pubs can connect you

have a good time

only 4 weeks for me

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,493 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Menorca first time on Friday!

Right, here we go

No, Mestral do not hire out beach towels - I suggest that you take some with you as although you CAN buy them out there ( you can get all the beach geard from grass mats through to blow up boats) they will use up some of your cash and if you have some already why waste the money. Another word of warning - beach beds and parasols will be very expensive - if you plan to use the beach buy some grass beach mats and a cheap brolly ( around 8 -12 euros and then dump them when you leave.

Re the internet, there are a couple of places that I know of in Santo T (none of which I have used so I cannot recommend any); The Bsr Halley, The Sol Menorca ( which is sited in a nice litle area in the public area) and Hamilton Court (this is in rather a basic area downstairs in the telephone room). Check out the prices though as it looked to me as though the Sol prices were better value than HC. Also, ask in Mestral reception as I cannot believe that the Santo Tomas ( which has the same ownership as Mestral so you should have no probs using it)wouldn't have an internet area too. Also, ask the reps - The Victoria Playa may have one too.

Have a good time and be sure to report back on how you found it.

uk
Level Contributor
44 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Menorca first time on Friday!

hi there hope you have a fab time we are going to same appartments arrive 24th, our 1st time too, we may bump in to you, heres hoping the weather is fabulous

ENJOY

Lancashire
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Menorca first time on Friday!

Hi all!

Thanks again for the info. I've added it into my notebook! I've managed to squeeze some towels in, we're taking six suitcases so just about managed it!

I can't believe I'm going tomorrow, I'll relax once I get through passport control, that's when the holiday starts! The kids are going to school until 12pm, gives me chance to sort everything out, then the taxi arrives at 12.30 to pick us up.

Hope you have a good time too Kidz-galore!

Report back in two weeks! :)