We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Any info on disabled access

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Selby, United...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Any info on disabled access

We have been to Minorca quite a few times but this time my elderly wheelchair user father is coming with us.

I have never really taken any notice of the disabled facilities on the Island so any information you folks can give me would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Linda

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,973 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Any info on disabled access

have you booked yet? If so where are you staying?

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Any info on disabled access

Yes we have booked a villa in Cala Torret which is near Binebeca.

We usually stay in this area.

we have a hire car booked so transport isnt a problem.

Its knowing what areas/places have wheelchair access.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,973 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Any info on disabled access

I am not really aware how good the island is on this point either - as you say, sadly most of us never take much notice of these things until they become relevant to us. Hopefully Raff ( who lives on the island) may be able to help with more inf. plus there are one or two other members who have mobility problems and may be able to give you pointers.

If you are looking for places to visit during the day, Santo Tomas is a very flat resort and you could certainly access the beachside retaurant Malibou directly off of the brick walkway that runs the whole length of the resort(itself accessed via paths directly of of the pavements). To get down onto the beach itself you may find that this year (beacause the beach has less sand on it than normal and is therefore lower)that you need to take a wheelchair down via the causway at the far end of the resort by the Hotel Victoria Playa and restaurant Es Pins but I don't suppose that pushing a wheelchair along a beach will be on your list of fun things to do anyway.Fornells would also be very good (again pretty much all on the flat and lots to see).If you drive into Cuitadella you should be able to go sightseeing easily enough and there is a roadway down to the harbour to use rather than use the steps down and the same will apply to Mahon and other harbours as well - delivery vehicles have to get down to these after all.

The fortress at La Mola (near Mahon)is an interesting place to visit for a couple of hours but I don't know how good the wheelchair access will be so I suggest if you are interested that you use this link fortalesalamola.com/ingles/…Contacto on its website to ask if it is suitable for wheelchair users. You could also check other sites like Menorca The Guide www.menorca-net.co.uk/menorca/index.php

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,476 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Any info on disabled access

I'll second Regular's suggestion of a trip to Fornells. The harbour staff ride around the whole village on small electric stand on trikes and some of the kerbs have been lowered for easier access. Anywhere they can go a wheelchair can follow, and that's from the start of the village to the headland.

JtheD

Selby, United...
Level Contributor
1,525 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Any info on disabled access

Thanks for that x x

Yes I had thought of Fornells, Mahon Harbour, Punta Prima beach, Binebeca village... this will probably be Dads swansong and I want to make it really special mostly for him but also for us....so we have some lovely memories/photos to look back on.

Dad being an old soldier...I am wondering about the access at FORT MARLBOROUGH and the army museum across the bay?

These sort of things...

Want to take him to the Trotting Races near Mahon on the Saturday evening, we breed ponies so Im sure he will enjoy this.

Linda x x

6. Re: Any info on disabled access

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 January 2010, 05:19