We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Food in Suitcase

birmingham
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Food in Suitcase

We go to cala Galdana self catering on Wednesday. We have never took food with us before but plan to take things like tins of beans, pasta, noddles, biscuits in the suitcase - are you allowed to do this?

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Food in Suitcase

Hi,

I panicked last year & took some essentials, tea, sugar, loo rolls etc but I shouldn't have worried as the supermarket prices weren't that bad. I didn't bother this year & only took my favourite soap powder.

You can carry foodstuff in your luggage but be careful with the weight allowance.

Carol

england
Level Contributor
57 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Food in Suitcase

when we went to son bou last year we took weetabix,jam,marmalade,crackers crisps tea bags coffe etc in our cases,dont know if you are allowed to but we were ok,have a great time

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Menorca
Level Contributor
653 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Food in Suitcase

You could try registering online with the local supermarket Eroski. They deliver to your door for 5,98 euros. The website is …grupoeroski.com/ecoventa/tienda/tienda.jsp. That way you could get the cheap products from an out of resort supermarket and have all the food delivered to your door the afternoon you arrive or the morning after.

Remember that some airlines only allow you 15kg of luggage so tins will REALLY weigh your suitcase down.

Raff

York
Level Contributor
431 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Food in Suitcase

We took a few small items in our suitcases in case we were delayed and everything was shut when we got there e.g. a couple of those variety packs of cereal. We had no problems at all. Just make sure they are in their original packaging.

Those tins will soon add alot of weight to your cases though. Certainly worth considering Raf's suggestion. We did a similar thing for our Baby items (milk etc). The only difference is that it was a UK company who courier them abroad for you. How much easier was it having the things waiting for us at Reception when we checked in!!!!

birmingham
Level Contributor
55 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Food in Suitcase

Thanks for all the replies! Very useful!

We have 1 suitcase that won't be used so I'll just pack it with cereals, tins etc and we can take up to 20kg, but won't really use this amount. Don't plan to cook on evenings just wanted breakfast and lunch foods to hand really.

Only 2 more sleeps and I'll be there and can't wait! Staying at Confortel Annabel Hotel in Cala Galdana anyone going there?

Mentioned in this post
Cala Galdana
Cala Galdana
Menorca, Spain
York
Level Contributor
431 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Food in Suitcase

Have a great trip.

One tip is to spread your stuff between each suitcase. If you pack all of your food in one case and it goes missing (unlikely but you never know)you have had it.

I speak from experience!!!!!!!

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Food in Suitcase

I've always taken stuff when S/C as CG is so expensive for cereal, etc, even more so this year. We stayed at Confortel Anabel in May but luckily had half board which was really good, always found something edible. I think you can pay for HB when you get there if you fancy it. The supermarket at the top of the hill under the Floramar was good for bits and pieces but a lot more expensive than at home, as you would guess. Let me know if you have any questions.

County Meath...
Level Contributor
3,329 posts
132 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Food in Suitcase

We brought our essentials in a cool bag & put it through with our luggage & had no problem at all.The cool bag was useful to take a picnic to the beach.

Have a graet holiday!

9. Re: Food in Suitcase

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 January 2010, 06:16