We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hiring a small boat/speed boat

England, Gosport
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
hiring a small boat/speed boat

hi

my partner and i are coming to menorca on 7th sept and i was wondering if you can hire small boats or speed boats from the beaches/harbours so you can explore the sea/beaches/caves. when we were in greece last year you could hire them and drive them yorself. also how much would in cost?

thankyou

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: hiring a small boat/speed boat

ive not seen this in any resorts ive worked in, but not sure on ciutadella or mahon. Perhaps 1 of the experts know this.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: hiring a small boat/speed boat

As some of you will already know this is a contentious issue with me.

Facts first opinion later ................................

Yes you can hire boats limited to under 10 Horsepower from a number of resorts around the island. For instance in Cala Galdana there is a hire place that will give you free run on a boat of 9hp for 30 EUR an hour, and where we are based in Fornells it's a half day rate (just overv 3 hours) at around 110 EUR. That should give you an idea of the price.

Opinion now........................................

I think it's absolute stupidity for anyone who has no training in handling a boat to go to sea without a qualified skipper on board. The UK is one of the few countries in Europe that let this happen (and that's understandable, being an island nation, and not imposing a competence test on every trawlerman who works the sea).

However to suggest that it's ok for a boat with limited power (remember below 10 hp) to go out in the high seas with no training on safety, weather, or even what "side of the road" to drive on is IMO gross neglect on the part of the people that hire these boats.

I spent a considerable amount on a course to get my powerboat certificate. If I'm in my boat and coming towards you pulling a skier at 30 knots do you know which side do go past me? To my Port or Starboard? Or will we just make it up as we go along? I think I rest my case.

The 10hp limit is utter stupidity IMO and anyone who is thinking of hiring a boat abroad would be much better taking the powerboat certificate and enjoying the comforts of a bigger and more powerfull boat that would get them out of trouble should weather or conditions at sea deterioate

Rant over, thanks for reading, usefull links to that course for those of you in the UK:

http://www.rya.org.uk/Pages/Home.aspx

http://www.calshot.com/

http://www.powerboat-training-uk.co.uk/

And if you want to do the course on the island, the best places to ask are probably here and here:

http://www.windfornells.com/ENG/index.html

http://www.minorcasailing.co.uk/

JtheD

VPS
Vilanova i la Geltru
Level Contributor
1,558 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: hiring a small boat/speed boat

Spot on Jon.

I have a powerboat at Segur on the mainland. It's bad enough seeing some of the so called 'qualified locals' bringing their boats into their amarre let alone having unqualified and inexperienced people let loose.

It's extremely dangerous to take a boat close to the caves and rocks. The beaches are off limit to motor boats in most areas and the sea can change from a mill pond to meter high waves in minutes. The wind and tides make handling small, light boats difficult and dangerous.

If you really want to go out for a few hours, pay for an organised boat trip with a qualified skipper or as Jon suggests, spend some of your holiday doing the powerboat course.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,844 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: hiring a small boat/speed boat

I am only ever a passenger but wholeheartedly agree with the comments above. It may seem like fun to pootle about "exploring" but we have all seen press reports about inexperienced people hiring boats and jetskis on holiday who have accidents and kill or maim people who just happen to be in the water nearby - it isn't worth it you can go on boat trips and let someone who knows both the boat and the coastline do all the steering!

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: hiring a small boat/speed boat

I'm quite shocked! I was expecting a big backlash against my last post but you seem to agree. MReg - I think the last time you were a passenger was with me in Fornells bay!

I wasn't having a go at the idea of a hire boat, indeed it's something that alot of people do on holiday on the island, just the principle that you can have a small boat without a licence - to me it's a bit like saying it's ok to drive on the road in a motorised go-cart without passing a driving test.

IMO renting a boat from Galdana to go round even as far as Mitjana is foolish. It might only take 15 mins to get there but if the weather changes while there it could result in a capsize on the way back. Now who wants to share the one and only life jacket on board?

Boating is great fun and I urge all who want to give it a try to do so. Fornells Bay would be a good place to start where the conditions could not be better, and there are many other places around the island - but please get qualified to do so first.

JtheD

England, Gosport
Level Contributor
67 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: hiring a small boat/speed boat

i have seriously been put off now. we did see them in greece and one boat nearly sliced my cousins head off as he was under the water and then the boat appeared near to the shore where we were all swimming. and it is just like driving without a liciance which know one would ever do. will stick to exploring in the car then.

thank you

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Menorca
Level Contributor
644 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: hiring a small boat/speed boat

Spot on JtheD

8. Re: hiring a small boat/speed boat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2010, 05:19