We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Average cost of eating out

london
4 posts
Save Topic
Average cost of eating out

Hi All

Could anyone tell me the average cost of a meal out in Menorca, as I’m going there this year and have been told it is extremely expensive. So wondering whether to go All Inclusive instead.

Thanks

Steve

Mentioned in this post
Menorca
Menorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
Piqniq
£, Fast food, Mediterranean, European
Bar Lemon
££ - £££, Pub
Marlet Grill Barbacoa
££ - £££, Steakhouse, Mediterranean, Barbecue
stana1966
Level Contributor
116 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Average cost of eating out

Which resort are you staying as it will make a difference. We stay in Calan Forcat but visited Calan Bosch and Cala Galdana for day trips last year and they were both more expensive.

Mentioned in this post
Cala'n Forcat
Cala'n Forcat
Menorca, Spain
Cala'n Bosch
Cala'n Bosch
Menorca, Spain
Cala Galdana
Cala Galdana
1,007 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
london
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Average cost of eating out

Hi there

We are going to Cala N Bosch

Mentioned in this post
Cala 'n Bosch
Cala 'n Bosch
252 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Average cost of eating out

Menu of the Day is about 12 Euro in the town of Ciutadella, but peek season it will be more. This normaly includes a starter, main and desert and a glass of local wine.

In resort, your looking about the same, and to give you an idea, beer is about 3 euro a pint for local brands. Mixed drinks like Vodka and Coke, are about like for like to UK, but you get a bigger measure.

As the Euro rate changes, it can affect your best deal, but right now, I would go with All Inclusive, as your paying in pounds in advance for it all. The only thing is, that you only get local branded drinks, if you want International Brands you still have to pay.

Mentioned in this post
Ciutadella
Ciutadella
Menorca, Spain
London, England
Level Contributor
9,277 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Average cost of eating out

I lived and worked in Spain for over 20 years, including Menorca. I visit various places in Spain throughout the year and last April decided to visit some very good Menorquin friends. I couldn't believe the prices they had the audacity to charge in the bars and restaurants. I live in central London and am used to paying high prices, but I think Menorca is more expensive than here.

If you are going there on holiday as a family, then I would say that you may be better off considering AI. Alternatively, try somewhere else, the Menorquines don't deserve tourism with the type of prices they are charging. There are lots better and cheaper places to holiday in Spain.

Mentioned in this post
Spain
Spain
Europe
Menorca
Menorca
Balearic Islands, Spain
London
London
England, UK
Birmingham
Level Contributor
485 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Average cost of eating out

Another alternative is to go self catering but hire a car and shop at large supermarkets in the town. This is what we do, having breakfast in the apartment, the same for lunch or make up a picnic for the beach, and then dinner and a few drinks out every night. We are a family of 4 and I reckon doing this costs less overall than AI and I love the freedom it gives to do as you please. I really think it's the drinks that make it expensive, we paid 4 euro for a pint of local beer last year in Cala Galdana, but on the other hand you can get a reasonable bottle of wine from the supermarket for a couple of euros. We went to Cala'n Bosch in 2008 and our evening meal cost around 40 to 45 euros, this was for 4 meals and drinks inc beer, wine and a couple of soft drinks.

Mentioned in this post
Cala Galdana
Cala Galdana
1,007 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Average cost of eating out

We were half board at the Sol Gavilanes in Galdana as usual so did not eat out much, but one lunch we had at the BEACHBAR (two lasagnes, pizza, chick & chips, hot dog, drink & ice lolly was well over 70 euros. Getting a bit of a joke. Seriously thinking of going elsewhere this year after going Minorca twice a year for 7 years. Boooooo.

Mentioned in this post
Sol Beach House Menorca
Sol Beach House Menorca
1,386 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
14,907 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Average cost of eating out

I agree that the prices were high list year. The locals did not seem to have taken on board the fact that the stronger euro meant that british tourists ( their bread and butter market) were just not going to afford to pay silly prices. I recall paying around 14 euros a head for a pleasant but not exciting Paella Valenciana last year whereas yesterday we had a better one ( it had far more squid and meat etc in it) for under a tenna in our local branch of La Tasca !

Hopefully reduced business last summer will make the owners of the bars etc. be more sensible this season. I for one will be watching out more carefully for good menu del dia offers

Mentioned in this post
La Paella
La Paella
559 Reviews
Menorca, Spain
milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Average cost of eating out

I work in a Beach Bar for 1 summer.

What I can say is you will find them more expensive, but this reflects the higher amounts they have to pay for rent etc.

I would plan to go to the beach for only half day, returning to your complex or another place back in the main resort where you are not a captive audiance.

Scotland
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Average cost of eating out

We usually rent a villa. Most days breakfast & lunch are at the villa. Then we eat out at night. My kids are 12 & 10 & the eldest was having adults portions every night (hearty appetite!) & this meant that along with a bottle of wine we reguarly hit 100 Euros a night ! I know that is not everyone's idea & budget, however I believe it was offset by not eating out at lunchtime as the kids were more than happy playing in the pool.

It is expensive to eat out but I intend to make more use of the " meal of the day" this year.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Average cost of eating out

The way the euro is going, I would look at all inclusive, and then breck up the holiday by eathing out a couple of nights