We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nice beach but near bars

Essex
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Nice beach but near bars

Hi

Can anyone help?

We are two girls looking to book a holiday in Minorca. It seems that most the bars are in Mahon. We are looking for a nice hotel near to a nice beach but with easy access to the night life. We are aware it's not the most lively place but like it quiet during the day and enjoy nice beaches.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Mahon
Mahon
Menorca, Spain
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
14,718 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nice beach but near bars

Both Cuitadella and Mahon do not have great beaches as they are basically towns built around harbours and marinas but you can get to some from either and of course you would have access to more bars and restaurants frequented by locals than in a resort

I know you are two ladies going alone and do not want to be stuck out in "family holiday land" but roughly what age group do you want to be amongst and what sort of budget are you looking at?

What star rating of acom would your minimum requirement be and are you looking for halfboard or something else?

Mentioned in this post
Mahon
Mahon
Menorca, Spain
Essex
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nice beach but near bars

Hi

We prefer late 20s - 30 + we normally go to Ibiza old town but fancy something different.

We dont mind mixing with the locals so that's no problem. We like to be near a really nice beach by the day (thats important) but we want to be within easy access of the town so we can go out for dinner in the evening and hit a few bars.

Also we may like to leave the beach and grab a bus into town or something to do some shopping.

We tend to stick to 4* hotels but also like guest houses or small hotels. We just do bed and breakfast only, we like to eat out.

Hope this helps

Thanks so much for your help!

Edited: 25 January 2010, 16:32
Mentioned in this post
Ibiza
Ibiza
Balearic Islands, Spain
Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Nice beach but near bars

The Cala'n Porter thread that's been running recently has made me think that this might be the place for you. Short transfer from the airport, some good nightlife in resort, and only a short trip by bus or taxi into Mahon for that shopping. Accom options aplenty for what you're after. Oh - and it's got a very good beach

Others have given their opinion here:

tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowTopic-g187464-i494-k30…

JtheD

Mentioned in this post
Mahon
Mahon
Menorca, Spain
milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nice beach but near bars

I would not rule out Ciutadella to quick, the reason is, you can get a bus to 3 main resorts, what all have a nice beach (cala forcat/blanes, cala bosh and cala blanca. There is some night life in all resorts, as well as the town its self.

Just to give you an idea, bus is only about 1.50 euro each way. If you decide to make a night of it, cheap to go back to hotel, and get a bus back. (bus runs till 2300 peek season). Taxi back would be from 15-20 euro after midnight.

You can also get bus to other side of island from the other bus station.

Ive seen B&B for 30-40 UK pounds per night, for twin room at places like Hotel Madrid. You can get budget flights from luton on easy jet, or if you book in advance, cheap prices on others as well. There is local transfer companys, so you can get return transfer for £20 ish each.

The only downside, if you do down this route, its not a package holiday. Not same protection, so check if you have a credit card to pay on, if you get any that way (and time scale, as some only protrect for limited time).

Im not saying do it on credit, just pay that way if you can and have protection, and then pay your credit card company the following day or statement day.

Mentioned in this post
Ciutadella
Ciutadella
Menorca, Spain
Essex
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nice beach but near bars

Hi

I think Cuitadella may be the place for us, sounds nice with the port and lively harbour? Although by the sounds of the other posts we may have to get a bus to a nice beach? Is any of you able to recommend the best beaches near to Cuitadella, also a hotel (a part from the port hotel) this has good reviews but may be a bit too out of the way.

Thanks

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Nice beach but near bars

You said in your OP that the beach was important and I think you're gonna struggle with beaches on that side of the island.

The places that ARE easily reached by bus are calas Blanes, Forcat etc slightly to the north of Cuitadella and calas Blanca, Santandria, Sa Caletta to the south. However all of these are narrowish inlets - not great lengths of sand. Good beaches at Cal'n Bosch mind but that's a little further south.

If you had a car of course you'd be laughing - easy access to the unspoilt beaches of Macarella, Turquetta, Son Saura etc (the best on the island IMO) - the road to them all starts at Cuitadella but there's no public transport.

I still wouldn't rule out one of the main resorts with a good beach - Cal'n Bosch would be good for day trips to Cuitadella, and the magnificent resort of Cala Galdana (superb beach here btw) has good bus links to Fererias and onwards to Cuitadella or Mahon. Unless you get yourselves a car for a few days that is..................................

JtheD

Mentioned in this post
Cala Galdana
Cala Galdana
Menorca, Spain
Mahon
Mahon
Menorca, Spain
Essex
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Nice beach but near bars

Hi thanks

Cala Galdana seems to have a v nice beach and that is important to us, so I think now we have changed our minds and will go here, however we would still like to go for at least one night of partying/clubbin! How far to Cuitadella from Cala Galdana, how long would it take, 20 minutes, an hour? For example could we go to Cuitadella for an evening out, do you know how much a taxi would be? We like nice stylish upmarket bars!

I guess what we like is a beautiful beach by day but a buzzy cosmo feel in the evening with sytlish upmarket bars and beautiful places to eat.

Thanks for all your help everyone.

Mentioned in this post
Cala Galdana
Cala Galdana
Menorca, Spain
Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Nice beach but near bars

I think that's a good choice. Never met anyone that hasn't liked Cala Galdana - good choice of eats and bars nearby and one of the best resort beaches on the island IMO.

Public transport to Cuitadella? I guess 10 mins to Fererias, change busses, then another 25 mins, so under an hour in total. Not much more to Mahon going the other way. Busses do run direct - here's last years timetable to give you an idea: Sorry I don't have this years (yet)

www.tmsa.es/pdf/HORARIPUBLICDESTIU2009.pdf

As for the big night out it's gotta be the caves in Cal'n Porter (Cova d'en Xoria) Good news is there's an excursion bus that will take you there. I think it leaves Galdana early eve, drops you at C'Porter for enough time for a lazy drink and a bite to eat. Caves open around 1ish and the bus takes you back to Galdana arriving about 6.00am.

The Caves are by far the best club on the island. I use their promo on my profile - take a look here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDaPQfmP9Fk

and check this out:

www.covadenxoroi.com/pg_02_1.php?lng=es

Added to the fact that Galdana is a great resort with a good beach and plenty of eats and drinks places, it's also within easy walking distance of 2 of the untouched / unspoilt beaches on the south coast (Macarella to the west and Mitjana to the east - about 30 mins to either) I think you've made a good choice.

Let me know if you need any more info

JtheD

Edited: 27 January 2010, 23:21
Mentioned in this post
Cala Galdana
Cala Galdana
Menorca, Spain
Mahon
Mahon
Menorca, Spain
milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Nice beach but near bars

The town itsself only has 1 small beach.

However, as John said, Cala Blanes and Cals Bosh and Cala Blanca can all be reached by bus. Its only about 20 mins each way.

You need to decide, as while the places others have posted are great for beach, the nightlife is not same as the port.

While some of the places can be reached by bus and back in daytime, it would be expensie to say in the other resorts and get to the Port every night.

Mentioned in this post
Cala Blanca
Cala Blanca
Menorca, Spain
Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Nice beach but near bars

Cala Galdana is very laid back with hotel based entertainment and a few little pubs. However, there is a bar called the Mississippi (just past Hotel Cala Galdana) which stays open late and is quite popular. There is also a disco up the hill out of Galdana called Sound House, but we have never been so dont know what its like. or in fact, if its still there! The beach bars are lively and the locals come at the weekends and have big paella cookouts on the beach, its lovely.

Mentioned in this post
Cala Galdana
Cala Galdana
Menorca, Spain
Mississippi
Mississippi
United States