We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should we try Menorca? - first time abroad

UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Should we try Menorca? - first time abroad

Can anyone advise me about Menorca please?

We are a family of four, kids aged 12 and 14, and we usually holiday in Cornwall, but are fed up with rain and cold sea!

My idea of a nightmare holiday would be the photos I've seen of rows and rows of bodies on the beach, like sardines - and that's what I imagine 'abroad' to be! But Menorca seems quieter and with lovely beaches?

We are not interested in clubs or nightlife, only want peace and quiet, good beaches, and warm sea. I think the kids would love to try snorkelling, so is Menorca good for that? We would love to try a hotel, (we usually go self catering) if I could find a SMALL family run one, preferably with less than 50 rooms...does something like that even exist on Menorca? Or would we be better self-catering?

Can anyone suggest anything suitable, and what area of Menorca best matches our requirements?

We would probably hire a car, as we love to explore, and are travelling in August, and have a fairly limited budget.

Thank you!

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should we try Menorca? - first time abroad

There is several resorts that would fit the bill, but I think Cala Bosh would be good for you.

You will find it had to find a small family run hotel, but if 1 exists, im sure others will tell you about it.

The main reason is the beach is good, and also as your on a limited budget, you would not need a car for as long, what will help the budget.

There is bus service to Cala Blanca (drops you 10 min walk from that resort beach), and Ciutadella every 30-45 mins that time of year.

There is also direct bus to Cala Blanes/Cala Forcat in the morning and back at lunch time or tea time. (Outside the direct times, you can travel via Ciutadella)

The way the Euro is going, you might want to look at the All Inclusive Options, even if your not about for lunch its still might save you money.

While its not small, the Hotel Cala Bosh is good, and is also only 2 mins walk to the beach.

I would book a car well in advance, last year there was limited avalaiblity on the island.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
457 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should we try Menorca? - first time abroad

Although it's not a hotel, you could take a look at Galdana Gardens apartments (Cala Galdana). Just 50 rooms, no kids club or entertainment on site but in the middle of the resort so well located for everything. Despite this it's still very quiet. I think travelling in August you will find most of the main resort beaches pretty busy. The beach at Galdana is fabulous especially if you can get there before the crowds descend before 11ish, after that though it does get very busy. We have been to both Cala'n Bosch and Galdana and would recommend either, if I had to choose between the 2 though I'd go for Galdana. Have a look at the reviews and pictures on here.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
148 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should we try Menorca? - first time abroad

I was a holiday rep there in the summer or 2000 and 2001, I have a strong affection for the island. It isn't quite the Spain you will see on shows like Benidorm and definitely not at all like Ibiza uncovered. With older teens in mind, you will want a resort that still has some stuff going on in it, where they can look after themselves. Cala'n Bosch as already mentioned is a great choice. There is a lovely marina from which boats go out and do various trips to some of the more unspoilt coves and beaches, where snorkelling is best. Cala'n Bosch has a lovely beach of its own with beautifully clear blue water. It will be busy on the sand in high season, but you will also be able to find coves elsewhere if you hire a car. There are no clubs in Cala'n Bosch and its mainly closed after midnight, but there is enough to mean you dont have to go to the same place every evening. Menorca retains a lot of its culture and heritage due to the fact it is protected by UNESCO, so you will find it very unspoilt, inland its probably a bit like rural Cornwall. Lots of interesting places to visit. Whilst typing this rather long-winded reply S'algar also came to mind. S'algar is not anywhere close to Cala'n Bosch in terms of evening venues, its very, very, quiet and mainly based around the entertainment offered by the largest hotel, the San Luis. However I think for you children it may be a good contender as they have a great sports and activities programme in the resort. It was one of the resorts I used to rep and for familes who liked low key night-life and day long activities it more or less always fitted the bill, there is no beach there, just a small sandy platform with steps directly into the sea, but there is also a great dive centre there and they can arrange trips for beginners to experts. Just some of my ideas. I hope this helps you. There are many more passionte Menorca advisors who can also help about other parts and offer a more up to date insight also.

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,489 posts
316 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should we try Menorca? - first time abroad

Hey, whats wrong with Cornwall???

Only joking, i know where you're coming from, i live there but am holidaying in Menorca for the reasons you say.

If only we had the same weather, we wouldn't want to go abroad, when its sunny,its just as good, but too unpredictable unfortunately.

UK
Level Contributor
13 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should we try Menorca? - first time abroad

Thank you so much everyone, I really appreciate your detailed and knowledgable replies. You all seem to have understood the kind of thing we're looking for, so your advice will be really invaluable. I will check out Cala Galdana appartments, they sound our kind of thing. Also, Cala'n Bosch sounds lovely. Btw, we agree...Cornwall forever...if only the weather could be relied on! On a sunny day you can't beat it :)

Edited: 07 February 2010, 22:29
London
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Should we try Menorca? - first time abroad

Hiya,

Having been to Menorca a few times, I would completely recommend it.... it was so relaxing and peaceful..... completely agree about Cala'n Boch too. We have found some great deals on Bargainescape.com, you can actually search specifically for Cala'n Boch on the this one too (under 'Holiday' the detailed search section). I have found, if I find something I like the look of, you can call up the agents on this and they are really helpful and will be able to advise you on exactly the kind of place you are looking for.

Anyway, hope you do go and have a great time.

Manchester
Level Contributor
23 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should we try Menorca? - first time abroad

Hi

I holidayed in Menorca for 7 years on the run and I have an affection for it. I stayed in Son Parc the first year and then Cala Blanca/Cala Santandria after that. Yes it is quiet but if that is what you're after you will get R&R.

I always loved snorkelling in the coves: clear, shallow and warm. I also cycled down to Cala'n Bosch a few times. Day trips to Ciutadella and Mahon are well worth it as is a visit to Monte Toro. There as so many other places i wished I'd visited on the island but didn't.

I don't know what board basis you prefer but i always did self catering as I found the bars and restaurants great places to be of an evening overlooking the sea, beautiful sunsets and even got to know the family of one particular bar in Cala Blanca quite well.

I have many wonderful memories of Menorca and would like to go back one day.

Give it a go. If you don't you'll maybe always wondering!!

Snowqueen1

8. Re: Should we try Menorca? - first time abroad

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 September 2010, 05:16