We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommended things to do with children

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
devon, UK
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Recommended things to do with children

Hi we are going to be staying at the Valentin Son Bou and wonder if anyone can advise please on musts for children in Minorca. We have two children, one of 6 and one of 4 and its their first holiday abroad, they have done very little in their lives as we have just adopted them and they will go crazy with excitement just seeing the pool. I believe there is a water park nearby to Son Bou and I'd like to try and have an idea of a few days out / things worth seeing in advance. I wonder if its worth hiring a car for a day and looking around but can anyone give me a few ideas please. Thanks, Suz x

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommended things to do with children

We've been to aquarock in the west of the island which our kids loved. There is a zoo (Menorca Zoo) which is basically a farm but ok for a cooler overcast day. my eldest is now 11 and has been to Cala Galdana 14 times & is happy to swim & play on the beach. They never want to get in the car! The caves at calan Porter were interesting as there is a story about a pirate who lived there. Mount Toro is good as it's free along with the Lladro shopping outlet just after cala Galdana on the road to cuitadela?. It has the shops as usual plus water slides, rides etc & the kids loved it

devon, UK
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommended things to do with children

Thats fantastic, thank you so much. That gives me some ideas to be getting on with. For a minute didnt think anyone was going to respond(!), so thats really useful for me to look at. Im sure they will be happy also on the beach and around the pool for most part but good to have a couple of days lined up. thanks again, that really is a big help and will def do some of those. Best regards, Sue

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,792 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommended things to do with children

When you arrive in the resort I recommmend that you pick up a copy of one of the free booklets that you will find in most hotels etc. - this year the one called "Menorca Explorer" is particularly good as it has street maps of all the main towns and resorts as well as info on various cultural places of interest.

Although taking the "trips" offered by the travel reps is often very convenient it can work out very expensive ( and on some you will have an unavoidable stop at a "Commercial Centre" where your children are tempted to buy tacky bits and bobs). If you have a car most things can be done independently and if not some things ( like trips into Mahon or Cuitadella) can easily be done on public transport. For example if you hop on a bus into Mahon and spend the day there ( esp. on market day) you will find that it is has some very pretty old buildings as well as lots of shops and places to eat etc. and you can take an hour long glass bottom boat tour of the harbour for 10E each adults (5E for children 5-12 - 4 under 5s free). This year we had a very good 15E 3 course menu del dia in Mahon in a place on the harbour called CA'N NITO ( it is located on Moll de Llevant just along to the right after you have gone down the winding steps to the harbour and is near the port authority building) - there was lots of choice of spanish dishes and the food was both well cooked and very nicely presented plus there were kiddie friendly options.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommended things to do with children

Sorry for late responce, was hoping you could get more responce from people who know this area.

If you do get a car for a few days, you could combine a trip the to town of Ciutedella (shops open 9am till 130pm, then open again from 5pm, with a trip to the Water Park, in Los Delfines (follow signs for Cala Blanes/Forcat).

They do cheap tickets after 1pm.

While it is a "British" holidaymaker resort, it does have some nice places, and if you wanted to get your evening meal before coming back, Maxis is about 3 min drive from the water park, what is 1 of the best places in resort.

devon, UK
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommended things to do with children

Thats fantastic, thank you so much, that really is a great help. Will definatley plan a couple of days around that, its great to have some tried and tested places and things worth doing. Am always wary too of the coach trips and how they tie you in to things.

Thanks again everyone x

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommended things to do with children

Son Bou has everything their little hearts will desire-at the beach is a seasonal childrens play area with all things bouncy,crashy and flashy. In Son Bou's bowing hall there is a small children's indoor soft play area ( if the weather should be bad ). There is a multi pools, play area evebing childrens disco and water shoots at Club Sant Jaime and a brand new little persons play area. I doubt you will need to leave Son Bou,but all the above is good too.

Resort train will take you up/down to beach from Hotel (plus they run a coutresy minibus I think? )

PS for the beach YOU MUST take watershoes as there are underwater remains of sand covered corals that are very harsh on young skin

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommended things to do with children

The water park is in Son Bou it is called Club Sant Jaime - is not much smaller than that in Los Delfines or Cala en Bosch

8. Re: Recommended things to do with children

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 February 2011, 05:20