We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ciutadella or Es Mercadel?

Rochelle Park, New...
2 posts
Save Topic
Ciutadella or Es Mercadel?

Hello,

Two young ladies traveling to the island Thurs-Sat Mid October (coming from Barcelona) and would like a recommendation on best location to stay to make the most of short stay. We'd like some shops, restaurants and thigs to see. Would prefer not to rent a car and get around either by bus or walking.

Debating on either Hotel Tres Sants or Hostal Jeni.

Thanks so much for all suggestions!

Ursula

Cornwall,UK
Destination Expert
for Cornwall, Isles of Scilly
Level Contributor
3,493 posts
322 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ciutadella or Es Mercadel?

Hi

I would choose Ciutadella, its a beautiful old city full of character,with a lovely waterfront, lots of small shops to wander around and good restaurants. Its very easy to walk around as well. I loved it there.

I drove thru Es Mercadel but it didn't look a great place to stay compared to Ciutadella. I think it has more bigger shops/factory outlet types.

Edited: 15 August 2010, 20:03
milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Ciutadella or Es Mercadel?

I do not know the location of the place in Es Mercadel, so can not comment on it.

The Ciutedella hotel is right in the middle of town, close to shops etc. Close by there is a couple of bars, and restaurants.

5 Min walk away, you have the Borne and Port area, with a lot more choice.

There is a good range of bars for at night, everything to sitting and relaxing, to music/disco type places.

Normally the music places are open till 4am, and in the port at the end, the night club is open till 6am. Entrada con consumation is from 8 Euro, depending on the date.

The beach is very small, 10 min walk away (search for photos of Playa Grande in Ciutedella).

Bus options, to all places on the Mahon Road (about 5 Euro per person each way), or there is a 2nd bus station, to get to local resorts. Cala Bosh has the best beach in the area. Resort bus is about 1.50 per person return. They run from about 6am till midnight.

Another night option is Cala Forcat. While by day is a British Holidaymaker resort, come 1 or 2 in the morning, Jimmy Hills 2 Bar and Blue Breeze will be busy. Normally 45% british holiday makers, 30% reps/staff for local bars/restraunts and 25% local people, some who come to the resort from Ciutedella.

Taxi back after midnight will be about 15 Euro.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,690 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ciutadella or Es Mercadel?

Two of our Destination Experts Jon The Dog & Raff have recomended Hostal Jeni in the past ( see http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187464-i494-k2942819-l19210185-Hotels_in_Menorca-Minorca_Balearic_Islands.html) and Jon stays there in the winter time sometimes. Mercadal is a town in the middle of the island but there are restaurants etc there which are more likely to be authentic than those in some of the tourist areas. Public transport is quite cheap on the island so travelling from one place to another will not be a problem however the Cuitadella location might be more to your taste as you could then travel out to other places or stay in the town if you chose.

If you do not mind the idea of being in a town provided there is access elsewhere, have a look at the aparthotel LOAR in Ferrarias( www.loarferreries.com/inici.php?lang=en ) the place is very modern and the lobby and bar areas looked good when I popped in there briefly last year. There are a couple of good reviews on LOAR on TA (both are in spanish unfortunately but if you cut and paste them into google translator you will get the gist of it albeit that the translation is a bit odd) but again, like Mercadal, Ferrarias is in the centre of the island but it is on the main bus routes east and west (and the excellent tapas bar called Bar Vimpy is right by the main bus stop) and is only a short distance from two great beaches ie Cala Galdana and Santo Tomas

I am sure you will find somewhere that suits

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Ciutadella or Es Mercadel?

Ciutadella. Es Mercadal will be too remote in Mid October unless keen walkers then would say Hostel Jeni

Rochelle Park, New...
2 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ciutadella or Es Mercadel?

Thanks for all the info!

I'm leaning towards Ciutadella, we'll most likely make it home base and venutre out from there!

6. Re: Ciutadella or Es Mercadel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 February 2011, 07:17