We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baggage Allowances for 2011 Summer Season

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,511 posts
47 reviews
Save Topic
Baggage Allowances for 2011 Summer Season

Whilst researching another issue I noticed that the baggage allowances for next summer seem to vary between the majour tour operators.Thomsons and First Choice websites say that their checked in luggage allowance for passengers over 2 years of age ( infants under 2 = 10kg excluding buggies etc. which they say are CURRENTLY not charged ) see thomson.co.uk/editorial/legal/baggage-allowa… firstchoice.co.uk/help/ but the Thomas Cook site says that next summers packages to Menorca include only 15Kg checked in luggage " infants excluded" ( I couldn't see what their allowance was if anything) thomascook.com/travel-info/…although they were offering the option to pay a fee at time of booking to upgrade by a further 5kg per person for £15 each on the holiday I was looking at. and these things need to be considered when you are doing price comparisons.

The charges for in flight meals seemed to vary a lot too if you like to have these (IMO they are generally not worth eating anyway) and it is the little things that add to the cost. For the benefit of all new visitors to the island with children, the Burger King in the departure lounge at Mahon airport is very reasonably priced!

Birmingham
Level Contributor
446 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baggage Allowances for 2011 Summer Season

If you book with Direct Holidays, part of Thomas Cook, the baggage allowance is 20kg and inflight meals are included free. I certainly wouldn't pay extra for meals on the plane, and just to add to the comments about food at Mahon airport, we had lovely chicken baguettes there last year for just over 3 euros each.

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
990 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Baggage Allowances for 2011 Summer Season

Hi,

Thomas Cook baggage is 15kgs per person, infants are given 10kgs. This applies to all standard packages from their mainstream brochures & you can add an extra 5kgs for £15 per person, at the time of booking. TC also have Style & Ultimate Style brochures where the baggage allowance is 20kgs per person.

However, if you buy flight only, the charter becomes a "low cost" flight, and the price shown only includes hand baggage. You can add 20kgs for £15 per person.

Clear, or what?

Carol

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,511 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Baggage Allowances for 2011 Summer Season

Excellent , Thank you.

The luggage allowance thing is getting to be a minefield and certainly focuses my mind on what we do or don't need to pack!

I have noticed that they are also being far more strict about the maximum weight on individual bags than previously - this summer we saw families repacking their bags at check in to even out the weight between the whole family's luggage at both Gatwick and coming back at Mahon - fair enough if they haven't been careful enough but having to open up your bags and move stuff about is very embarrassing and not the thing to be having to do when you are holding up the queue.

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Baggage Allowances for 2011 Summer Season

While you can get cheap flights, there is a other things to consider.

Only package holidays offer protection during your whole holiday. A package has to have transport and accomondation in it, and often includes or has an option to add a transfer.

Once you arrive to check in, they have a duty of care, what includes if flight delayed looking after you and more important, on your way back, they have to get you to your airport in UK, before the contract ends, so like with the ash cloud, if you have a delay for over 1 day, they have to put you in hotel etc.

If your not on a package, then any flight delays you can claim on the company you booked, but only for the flight. You missing your hotel is not their problem. On return, if your flight back is delayed, its not your hotels problem, your on your own.

Travel insurance does not always cover for this, so its worth looking at what policys cover.

Credit cards do offer some protrection, but there is normally a time limit, so close to the time you might be ok, but if you book in advance, you might be out of time for any claim, once the problem happens.

I am being told in general, some more complexs will not be in contract with holiday companys for next year, however as far as I know now, it does not affect the appartments/hotels normally recomended in the Ciutedella side of the island.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,511 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Baggage Allowances for 2011 Summer Season

Point taken about package holiday protection Magic, but I was making the point specifically about luggage allowances (especially as families are more likely to have issues with numbers of bags and weight etc.).

Another point if you are mentioning the pros of a package versus DIY arrangements is that transfers are generally included in packages and as your posts on that topic have shown, they are not always that easy or cheap to do on the DIY option.

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Baggage Allowances for 2011 Summer Season

We went with first choice as we have done many times & they used to just add all the weights of individual luggage up for each familys allowance. However this year each piece of luggage could not go over 23kg, used to be 28kg, for health & safety reasons. So we were one of the

families repacking at the departure desk, being shouted at by a jobsworth, even though there wasn't anyone queuing behind us!

Also we have never had an allowance for infants, they will just take a buggy free of charge.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,511 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Baggage Allowances for 2011 Summer Season

Hi EssexGirly

Fortunately we have never had this happen but if you were used to going up to the old maximum, I can see why the 23kg rule could cause problems.I can't think of anything worse than repacking all the carefully arranged stuff whilst being watched by all and sundry in a check in hall. It doesn't seem that long ago that some people seemed to take two huge bags for an entire family which must have weighed a ton - now it is almost best to have one bag each to be on the safe side.

It is interesting to hear your experience re infants luggage allowance ( or the lack of) when yours were little - totally ridiculous not to give infants an allowance all their paraphernalia often weighs more than that of an older child. Perhaps people have complained which might be why First Choice's website now shows 10kg for the under 2s (see http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/help/luggage/baggage-allowance/) - Carolina might know the history - I believe she works in the industry

Edited: 03 November 2010, 16:17
York
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Baggage Allowances for 2011 Summer Season

The silly thing about this is that even when First Choice give you 20kgs they allow you to pay for an extra 5kgs. They don't (or at least didn't ) warn you that the max weight per item was 23 kgs. We only knew because my husband flies alot on business and saw a sign at check-in for one of his flights. So many people having to repack.

For our holiday in 2011 we have 30kgs each!!!! That means extra work for the baggage handlers as we will be taking more than one piece each.

Coming home this year there were lots of people asking Reps if they could go up to an unused desk to check the weight of suitcases. We have bought a little hand held scales to weigh luggage to take with us. Very accurate as well.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,511 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Baggage Allowances for 2011 Summer Season

Just for the benefit of those members who like to take their entire wardrobe with them, can you please tell us which airline is giving you that whopping 30kg allowance?

You have said previously that you have booked a villa in Santo Tomas next year so I assume that the flight bookings are separate rather than part of a package.

York
Level Contributor
423 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Baggage Allowances for 2011 Summer Season

Hi MenReg

The Villa is part of a package through Meon Villas. The Airline is Thomsons. We could have got cheaper booking separately but this way (as Magic has said) we have more protection.