We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Built Accomodation

Stockton
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
New Built Accomodation

Hi

Can anyone help me out with accomodation anywhere in Menorca?, im looking for a newly built hotel or apartment thats 4 or 5 star and caters for children. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Built Accomodation

Hi,

Building regulations & land use are very tightly controlled so no hotels have been built for years. The only newish hotel I can think of is the Insotel at Punta Prima, the original hotel was renovated & some new accommodation was added. I think it's a 4 star with kids facilities.

New apartment developments are always springing up but they're usually for private sale & not taken over by tour operators so, in general, they won't have a star rating. The type of self catering complex that you find in a tour operators brochure are usually 2 or 3 star.

The star system is complicated & a lot of self catering property can't score on things like food, restaurants, bars & housekeeping because they don't provide them. Apart from that, the Spanish classification for apartment is "keys", the tour operators change this to stars to keep their brochures uniform & the two classifications don't always match.

Please post again with more detail, busy or quiet, organised activities,kids clubs, when you are travelling etc & the forum will come up with loads of suggestions.

Carol

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Built Accomodation

While I understand why you are asking as Caroliner correctly says above, Menorca is highly protected. A good general rule of thumb on Menorca is that the newer the tourist accommodation the poorer( relatively speaking ) the location. The hotel mentioned was built on a moonsscape of a patch of land.

Cala en Bosch( built in 1980's ) is a perfect example-it was the only place on the island where they allowed such a development-it was remote and frankly not an oil painting of a landscape location ( By comparison to many other parts of the island ) . I'm going to get shot down for that comment, but it's true. My tip - look for refurbished, then you will get a much better location.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,495 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Built Accomodation

At the risk of being shot down even further MenorcaIslandboy, what about Cala N'Forcat ( or did you just nean the land around Bosch was like that BEFORE the resort was built). The Cala N'Forcat area has always looked to me as though it was planned as a couple of seperate purpose built areas designed to cater for a specific market and that the various areas (Los Delfinnes, Forcat etc.) which have then morphed into one large area of resort as they gradually spread towards eachother.

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Minorca
Level Contributor
635 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Built Accomodation

The Insotel in Punta Prima is the only 5 star that caters to children on the island. They have very good entertainment and loads of games for the kids. The beach in this resort is also very nice. The Barcelo hotel in the same resort was refurbished last year, to 4 star standard. I had a look round it and there seemed to be lots of happy families there at the time!

I´m afraid I can´t really think of any other resorts where the apartments or hotels are "new". Although theVictoria playa in Santo Tomas had a bit of an overhaul last winter and they have a great kids club.

Hope this helps,

Raff

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: New Built Accomodation

Yes, that the landscape before they built the resort was not of special scenic or wildlife interest- again relative to the high standards of the island- and I happen to agree with the decision. If you wanted for income reasons to build a planned resort then it was the best place for it .

I want to make it CLEAR that the resort is pleasant and attractive.

Edited: 05 February 2011, 11:04
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,495 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Built Accomodation

Yes I agree absolutley

If anyone new was reading this and becoming confused , Cala N'Bosch is a good base for a family holiday. Nice marina, good beach, plenty to do for children without being overly busy etc.

The infomation that Raff has given re the Instel in Punta Prima is very useful. The Hotel Victoria Playa in Santo Tomas also mentioned by her is in a great beachside location but as you would expect from a hotel that caters mainly for families it is the busiest hotel in the resort. Anyone who does not know Santo Tomas ( which is where I stay) needs to be aware that is much much quieter than places like Cala N'Bosch - there is masses of lovely beach but no night life to speak of outside of the hotels so any "party people" expecting to find lively late night bars should definitely look elswhere.

Stockton
Level Contributor
49 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Built Accomodation

Thanks so much for info, il have a look at the hotels you mentioned and hopefully get something booked as been wanting to try menorca for a few years now and flight times seem good too.

8. Re: New Built Accomodation

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 17:18