We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visitors to Minorca- suggestions please!

Uk
Level Contributor
346 posts
167 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visitors to Minorca- suggestions please!

Hi

We are a family of 3 and our little boy will be 2 1/2 in September when we plan to visit Minorca.

We are looking for a villa ideally in a quietish resort but one with a nice beach and good restaurants, I have had a bit of a look and was thinking of Arenal D'en Castell, Son Bou or Binebeca, what do you think? I think somewhere like Cala En Bosch is a bit busy for us. We like experiencing local food, and aren't looking for a a "Brits abroad" type place (although not sure whether these exist in Minorca!) Thanks in advance Nic

milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visitors to Minorca- suggestions please!

A lot depends when in September your going. If its after the childrens school holidays most of the island will not be as busy.

I am only going to comment on the Ciutedella Side of the island, what is the part I know. Im sure others will comment on resorts you have posted about.

Cala Bosh, a lot depends on your choice of complex. Most near the marina/main beach are large, however on both edges, you do have smaller places, for example Menorca Mar what I worked at several years back.

The only issues then, is where they are located is 15 min walk to the beach, and the better choice of places to eat etc.

Cala Blanca might fill the bill, as its not very large, or busy, but does have a nice beach. The main Hotel has familys, but the resort of resort is mainly couples.

Cala Santandar and the other small resorts just outside Ciutedella are not busy, but you do have very limited choice of places to eat, unless you go into the town.

Cala Blanes/Forcat area is once to avoid based on your post. Its not brits abroad, but as close to it you can get on Menorca. The main part of the area gets busy, as its 3 resorts what all join up, to make the largest resort on the island.

Transfer time to Cala Bosh and Blances can be up to 2 hours, but is normally under 90 min. By Taxi your looking at 65 euro each way, taking 1 hour.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visitors to Minorca- suggestions please!

I think that MenorcaIslandboy or Raff are going to be able to help you with this one as you have said that Cala N'Bosch is looking too busy for your liking so presumably you are not interested in late night bars etc. With a child that age you will presumably be taking a buggy but even so will want to be within reasonable proximity to both a nice beach and good places to eat. The problem with villas for 3 is that you may find that it works out expensive as most of those in the nicer resorts are going to be quite large.

Are you looking to book a villa as a package including a car and would you be OK with an apartment providing it was not part of a large complex?

Edited: 10 February 2011, 19:17
Uk
Level Contributor
346 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visitors to Minorca- suggestions please!

hiya

Thanks!

Actually there will now be 5 of us, grandparents coming too! Yes will have a buggy and don;t mind apartment but ideally would like some outside space. Oh and no to late night bars etc, just need good restaurants decent beach and pool I think!

Thx

Nic

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visitors to Minorca- suggestions please!

In most resorts even the ones targeted by hotel Package operators ( as Magic points out for Cala en Bosch ) most Villas are set away ( some might say prime positions ) from the resort centres, so even if you looked at Cala n bosch you can leave the centre completely behind when you don't want it.

Of the three you shortlist Binibeca is possibly best fit ( though probably more expensive than Son Bou,Arenal 4 Accom , only has a single 2 storey hotel otherswise it is all villas and apartments - in very small blocks).

Uk
Level Contributor
346 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time visitors to Minorca- suggestions please!

Thanks minorcaisland, sorry may have been a bit too definite!

It's not that we mind late night bars, just don't want them in our face any more! To give you an idea of the sort of place we're looking for, we stayed in a villa 10 minutes drive from P:uerto Pollenca last year and loved it. Does this change your view of where we should stay? I have found a nice villa in Arenal, but the resort looks quite isolated from anywhere else and nor sure what the restaurants etc are like?

Thankyou

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time visitors to Minorca- suggestions please!

resort choice will often come down to Hire Car /No hire car.

If no hire car I would go for Binibeca as on foot from the villa areas it is easy walk to a range of restaurants. Arenal , where is the villa located?

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time visitors to Minorca- suggestions please!

Agree Binibeca may well suit, but it sounds like Santo T maybe what you're after. Over to MenReg................

JtheD

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,404 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time visitors to Minorca- suggestions please!

Santo Tomas

Quiet resort - Yes

Pretty place - Yes

lots of beach easily accessible - Yes

late night bars - Nooooooooo

Plenty of restaurants - not a huge number, BUT if you have a car there are places to go in Es Migorn nearby

How long are you planning to go for?

Edited: 11 February 2011, 18:26
Uk
Level Contributor
346 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time visitors to Minorca- suggestions please!

Hiya all, wow thanks for all of your help.

Villa in Arenal is des Romani Siete and site says the following re location:800m / 8-minute walk to small resort of Coves Noves with supermarket, shops and restaurants. 1.4km / 25-minute walk to the beach, shops and restaurants of Arenal D'en Castell, 40-minute drive to Mahon Airport.

Re Santo Tomas, thanks have had a look and looks lovely, just a bit worried about restaurants, as some reviews of accom I've read on here say there isn't much choice and food not amazing- we are big foodies and I would say that after a nice beach this is the most important aspect of our hols, so is Santo Tomas the best place?

Thankyou really appreciate your time.

Nic

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time visitors to Minorca- suggestions please!

The villa address looks to me like the newbuild area oustide of Arenal ( which I would call Calles Noves )

If you are real foodies then around binibeca ( short taxi ride ) are several very good restaurants-

Get answers to your questions about Menorca