We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cala Morell - somewhere for those who want peace and quiet

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Cala Morell - somewhere for those who want peace and quiet

I have been thinking for a long time that nobody ever mentions the little development at Cala Morell way up on the westerly part of the North coast as somewhere for visitors to consider staying. It seems to get ignored because as it is so small and has no hotels it doesn't feature in package tour brochures but there may be TA members out there who are considering going to the island on a private rental who would be interested to know other TA members' opinion of the place.

Because it is so isolated Cala Morell is definitely not somewhere to stay without a hire car ( and is a complete no no if you want lots of bars and nightlife on your doorstep) but I found some stunning ( and often expensive) villas in the area when doing a bit of internet browsing last night and wanted to make anyone who has missed it aware of its existence. I have only gone there during the day to explore the prehistoric cave dwellings and take in the scenery but have always thought that it looked so peaceful and pretty ( see pics on http://www.google.co.uk/images?rlz=1T4SMSN_enGB367GB367&q=cala+morell+menorca&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&sa=X&ei=RzlmTb7fKYeXhQfAmMjaDQ&ved=0CDUQsAQ&biw=1345&bih=507 and http://www.ulookubook.com/cala-morell ).

Although properties in Cala Morell have the name of the nearest municipal district (Cuitadella) in their postal address, the place could not be more different from the type of thing to be found in the main resorts in the areas closer to Cuitadella itself. Does anyone have experience of staying there, recommendations of villas/apartments etc to give to provide some information on this forum for people who want to find an "away from it all" location ? Has anyone eaten at any of the limited number of restaurants in the area for example?

Magicbeer08 - As Cuitadella and the west of the island is your area of DE expertise, can you provide us with some information on places in or around Cala Morell to stay or visit? Are there any rural hotels in that area that you know of that are good for non residents to dine in for example ?

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cala Morell - somewhere for those who want peace and quiet

I've not stayed,but I think there is a small hotel there as i remember( over 10 years ago now though ) eating at the bar there. The beach is more esturine, so sand/mud mix . It's pretty dramatic coast line up there and up the left as you approach ( as if going to the Caves ) are private villas.

What I call a "writers' place" ( no disturbances and scenic walks )

And the Caves ARE worth a visit

Edited: 24 February 2011, 13:05
London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Cala Morell - somewhere for those who want peace and quiet

memory doesnt not seem to be fading just yet

here are the apartments I remember

,plus more infro on the place

www calamorell net

.. and the Rurall hotel Biniatram

www biniatram com

Edited: 25 February 2011, 16:33
milton keynes
Level Contributor
1,180 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cala Morell - somewhere for those who want peace and quiet

This is not a place I have been to in the last 15 years at least. Its not even off any roads I used when I am on the island.

I have e-mailed a relative of mine, who lives in Ciutedella, for more info on the area.

I do not think there is a resort bus service was goes into this area, and I can not recall seeing it on any timetables for services from the other bus station, so a car is a must I think.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cala Morell - somewhere for those who want peace and quiet

Thanks for the replies.

I have just looked at the two websites that MenorcaIslandboy has mentioned and the Rural Hotel Biniatraml looks lovely - shame it doesn't seem to do evening meals though. I think that I will include a link to this thread in the recommendations for counry house hotels Top Question on the main forum page. The Cala Morell website is not easy to follow - even when I clicked on "english" only parts translated themselves so you may have to use a translation engine to get the most out of it ( some bits are only available in Catalan.)

I strongly suspect that the reason that Magicbeer has never seen any sign of Cala Morell on the bus timetables is that it isn't somewhere large enough to be regarded by the bus companies as a tourist destination and therefore merit a bus service especially as it is not on the road to anywhere else. Clearly it is somewhere that you have to get to by taxi/car/bike but there again the isolation is very likely part of its attraction to people who go there.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cala Morell - somewhere for those who want peace and quiet

Magicbeer - did you manage to find any additional information from your relative in the end ?

6. Re: Cala Morell - somewhere for those who want peace and quiet

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 10 March 2011, 14:05
London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cala Morell - somewhere for those who want peace and quiet

I believe Autobus Torres runs a service Ciutadella-cala Morells in peak season 11:30 15:15 19:30

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cala Morell - somewhere for those who want peace and quiet

That's useful MenorcaIslandboy. Although I thank Magicbeer08 for the info given in his post (no.7) above, I am not sure that the c*** word is that helpful ( I thought that TA edited out rude/ swear words - I tried to use the word " b*t**y " once in a PM and it wouldn't have that which I found very amusing - perhaps the c word isn't so offensive to Americans).

Obviously this is not a beach resort catering for tourists who want sun beds, ice creams and play parks ( which is why there are no touristy hotels) but the area is beautiful and the caves alone are worth going up there for. MenorcaIslandboys earlier description of the place in post 1 is probably fairer and I hope that people will understand that this place is NOT somewhere to go to unless they want tranquility,stunning coastlines and no laid on evening entertainment.

Edited: 05 March 2011, 17:43
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,400 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cala Morell - somewhere for those who want peace and quiet

Sorry folks - MenorcaIslandboy posted up reply no 7 it was no. 6 I was referring to.

Men Reg

Warrington, Cheshire
Level Contributor
522 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cala Morell - somewhere for those who want peace and quiet

When we visit Cuitadella, we sometimes take a drive to Cala Morell. It is a bit of a white knuckle ride at times, the roads are very narrow and we often meet a tractor or farm worker on the way. There is a very tiny shale beach, and quite a lot of concrete where people sunbathe. Most people park up and walk along the coastal path (I sit in the little bar/cafe while my hubby does this, and take in the views which are lovely) The cafe is quite basic with half a dozen tables/chairs but nice to cool down with a drink. We have only had a salad to eat there and the menu is basic. We have driven around the area looking at the fabulous villas and each year a little more development is taking place, but it is very, very quiet. If you want peace and quiet fair enough, but it looks more like a residential area than a holiday area. Nice to visit but not to stay there for me.

Get answers to your questions about Menorca