We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spanish Eggs memories

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Topic
Spanish Eggs memories

years ago when I was a child in Spanish hotels , there was regularly a starter translated as 'Spanish eggs'. Does any one else remember it /still ont the menus? ( hot eggs in a tomato base served on a shallow dish ) -what was in it? I used to love it and i've just had a massive craving to eat it again.(mid life crisis thing )

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,473 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Spanish Eggs memories

Massive Cravings? What is this? You're not pregnant are you? - is there something that your partner ought to know ????? :-)

Seriiously, it sounds very nice - was it something like this eggrecipes.co.uk/recipes/…spanish-baked-eggs ?

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Spanish Eggs memories

I had to open your post as it was too intriguing :-)

I never heard of 'Spanish eggs' before. However, being a Spaniard its unlikely I ask for a menu in English. And it's unlikely we call any dish as 'Spanish' in Spanish LOL

For your description, these were what we call 'Huevos al plato'. Making them is very easy, just put some tomato sauce in a oven-proof small plate (tomato sauce can be canned, or better prepare a thick tomato sauce with onion, red and green pepper and a bit of white wine). Heat it, put a couple of slices of ham and chorizo at the sides, then the eggs in the middle. Put in the oven, about 8-10 min at 200ºC. Enjoy!

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Spanish Eggs memories

Muchas Gracias!

yes this is it!

I think the white wine was the thing missing from my memory

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Spanish Eggs memories

Menorcareg- thanks , nothing so exciting , just mid life C

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Spanish Eggs memories

De nada :)

Some people use brandy instead of white wine. And you may make any other variation according your tastes, without chorizo, onion or pepper, adding oregano or other spices...) try it a few times and make "yours" :))

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Minorca
Level Contributor
635 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Spanish Eggs memories

This dish is the thing of nightmares for me i'm afraid....when we moved to menorca I went to school and had to stay for school dinners, they used to serve hard boiled eggs on cold sofrito (tomato sauce), it was horrid and they used to force me to eat it....I can still taste it now <shivers>

Perhaps I should cook and eat the receipe from belsaita to rid me of my school dinner demons!!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona
Level Contributor
9,242 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Spanish Eggs memories

Please do it Raff

Something similar happened to me... I used to HATE these eggs. Until I tried them at a friend's place and I discovered they can be very tasty when properly done (an immediately eaten)

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Spanish Eggs memories

I think we have all had some childhood trauma through one school meal :-) Mine was UK school style Liver and Onions. Having moved away from the UK and eaten it cooked very differently I regularly cook and eat it liver myself, with red onions lightly caramelised and red berries sauce( and absolutely none of that awful rainpuddle water gravy Yuck ! )

9. Re: Spanish Eggs memories

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 23:19