We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DonCars

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
36 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
DonCars

I need to get sorted with booking a hire car for our holiday to Minorca in August.

I have had quotes from two hire car companies. I have tried to contact another company, but to no avail.

DonCars have sent me a quote for car hire and they will deliver to our resort (Poppy Cars won't, collection from the airport only).

Has anyone got any feedback about DonCars (good and bad!).

Thanks

Rebecca

Newtownards, United...
Destination Expert
for Northern Ireland
Level Contributor
8,139 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: DonCars

To be honest, I don't look past "Avis", the old saying is, you get what you pay for, some of these small companies can turn out to be a bit of a nightmare, small print wise, but at least with the well established companies, you have a lot more come back.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,226 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DonCars

MenorcaIslandboy knows more about smaller local firms so he may be able to tell you if he has heard anything much about Don Cars. I tend to play safe like bgekk but we always use the Owners Cars office in Santo Tomas where the guy knows his repeat customers and has always been very helpful. This firm do have an office at the airport or you can pick up at various resorts - see http://www.ownerscars.com/index.php?lang=en but I do not know how competitive their prices are this year.

The main thing is that whoever you chose, you need to book ahead because August is usually really difficult for spur of the moment hire. Quite a few ( but not all) firms operate a no deposit/no cancellation fee system so you lose nothing by making an online reservation with one of these and cancelling if something better comes up later.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: DonCars

Don Cars long established, good like all these local ex pat owned companies in fact more reliable than larger firms as they are known to all the property owners and cannot afford to make mistakes

If you are a nervous person anyway you use the big boys (but you dont get the best IMO/experience )

Owners cars used to ( 10 years ago now) add all sorts of unexpected extras so got a bad reputation amongst owners -hopefully they have cleaned up their act ?

I disagree with the fine print comment. The big boys fine print is terrible these days as they are US owned with 'scratch clauses', wheel damages clauses everywhere

Edited: 08 April 2011, 08:32
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,226 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DonCars

I knew thar MenorcaIslandboy would be able to help with this one! It is good to know the info re Don Cars.

I take his point "Add ons" with larger firms - they can add a lot if you aren't careful and I know that some larger firms even charge extra to have two drivers. My experience with Owners Cars ( last used August 2010) is as follows:-

1) Their Online booking service works well - no deposit, no cancellation charges, no credit card numbers taken - you just book online, get an email confirmation within 24hrs which you print off and take this with you when you go to collect the car

2) The price quoted includes unlimited mileage ( not allowed to take car off of the island though so no ferry trips to Majorca), free additional driver, 24-hour breakdown service all taxes + VAT.

3) Options to extend insurance are :- to cover damage to wheels, glass and mirrors 5 euros per day, with full cover for wheels, glass, mirrors, lost or damaged car keys, damage to clutch and filling with the incorrect fuel 9euros per day ( I always go for this)

4) You return the car with same fuel quantity as you collected it with for short hires and but there is a compulsory payment for full tank for 6 day hire or more ( most larger firms seem to do this which I don't like much)

5) Baby seats are extra ( not sure how much as they don't fit teenaged boys!)

I cannot speak about the other Owners Cars branch offices but the chap in the Santo Tomas office ( Mando) is lovely

Edited: 08 April 2011, 10:52
YORKSHIRE
Level Contributor
304 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DonCars

excellent company have always used them if you need them for any problems they are there

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DonCars

I have booked don cars for july and have to say I sat for hours looking getting quotes etc for car hire on the island, don cars came out the most resonable price and have to say debbie in the office has been so helpful repled to all my emails the same day.

Will let you know in july how we got on...

Level Contributor
8 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DonCars

Don cars were recommended to me by someone who has used them for over 20 years I believe, so I have booked with them . Debbie in the office has been very helpful when I have emailed her

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DonCars

Well I need to try someone else - just got quoted from don cars for a week in early august at 340 euro per week - so bit too steep for me. Where else should I try? thanks

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,226 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DonCars

That might be as good as it gets - I just did a test pricing for 1 week 4 August via Owners Cars website http://www.ownerscars.com/index.php?lang=en and they had no cat.A (smallest) cars and Cat B ( Ford KA or similar) was coming in at a hefty 417 euros!

In past years the closer to the departure time you get the worse it gets ( no last minute bargains and often no cars at all as all pre booked).

If Don's Cars are quoting that [price with no deposit or up front payment I would reserve it now and see if you can find anything cheaper afterwards!

Plymouth
9 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: DonCars

We've booked with Sol Cars, they seem to be well regarded, and were quite reasonable on the price.