We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

one day scooter hire in august?

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
one day scooter hire in august?

Is this possible in Mahon?

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: one day scooter hire in august?

Yep, Various places will cost you around 30 Euros im afraid + security deposit

If you do decide to stay in CP you can hire there from Anthony's Bikes in the resort centre.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: one day scooter hire in august?

Hiya

Sorry but I cannot help with the scooter thing but noticed on your reply on the Don Car thread that you have decided against hiring a car as it had to be for a week - you can get shorter hires than that but pro rata it is more expensive. IF you can bear to risk it, you could wait until your arrive and see if your local in resort places have anything for the odd day - they might give you a good rate just to fill the gap between bookings. Where are you staying as we might be able to give you some idea of firms with offices there and maybe even their phone numbers so you could ring a day or two before you go

An alternative is to just the buses to get around - they are not expensive and if you get stuck anywhere and cannot bear to wait for the next bus (or there isn't one!) you could just get a taxi back - still cheaper than hiring a car. Have a look at the Top Questions link on buses to get an idea of how feasible or otherwise doing your sightseeing by bus!

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
1,042 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: one day scooter hire in august?

Hi,

I see from your other posts that you are staying in Cala n Porter. There is (or was) a bike & scooter/moped hire place in the resort, I think it's called Andy's Cycle Hire.

I definitely would not recommend scooter hire, especially in August when the roads are full of tourists . The locals drive like lunatics all year round.

Last summer a friend's grand-daughter came off her scooter about a kilometre outside CnP, broke her leg & spent the rest of her holiday in plaster.

Although August is a really busy time for car rental there are at least four rental companies in CnP & there's a possibility that one of them may have a car available for one day during your stay.

Carol

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
185 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: one day scooter hire in august?

Thanks again guys - the usual suspects!

Yes, at this moment in time we are stil staying in CnP at Siesta Mar aparts. and I think the idea about hoping for an odd day car hire would prob be the most sensible and economical idea. Perhaps if you know the hire places I can walk round the day I arrive and give them my mobile number at the beginning of our holiday and then hopefully one of them will call during our 11 day stay.

The bus and taxi idea is prob dooable too.

We saw that scooter hire required full driving licenece even for 49cc and our 18 year old does not have that, so that option is now out. Your poor friends grand-daughters broken leg sounds dreadful........

Right back to the accomm drama - didnt sleep very well last night so will check other thread to see if any info on which is which, Siesta mar and Siesta Mar apartments which is one and which is two. My partner says I should forget about it now...............not sure if I can :(

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,443 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: one day scooter hire in august?

Hi LondonAnge

I think that your partner is wise - if it is booked then just look forward to going to a resort you have picked on a lovely island where you can easily get from one end to the other in around an hour. In August the weather will be such that you will be out and about all the time anyway so even if the worse case senario happens and you don't like the accomodation very much it is only a base - the important thing is that it is in a resort which has a good beach,nice views, easy access to other places if you fancy a day out AND is not likely to be flooded with the "brits abroad" crowd. I have posted a reply on your other thread too.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,784 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: one day scooter hire in august?

I've been a few times to Cala en Porter( stay and visit as we love the beach / bay ) in last five years. All that has been said here is true

In these photos the apartments you see in the background are I think Siesta Mar from what I remember. We love the caves, beach and surroundings, plus being so close to Mahon is great too x

mymenorca.info/menorca-places/calaenporterin…

7. Re: one day scooter hire in august?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 April 2011, 11:36
8. Re: one day scooter hire in august?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 October 2012, 10:22