We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire Recommendation

Hampshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Topic
Car Hire Recommendation

Hi All,

Just want to say I recommend Sol Cars for car hire. The price was very competitive, and the car (Citroen C4) came with a roof rack (with bungee straps) to assist with getting luggage to and from the Airport. Sol meet you in Arrivals at the airport, and Laura couldn't have been more helpful. The car was parked in the short stay section, so very close, and whilst it wasn't a brand new car, it was in excellent condition, and was the baby seat and booster cushion.

There is no deposit to pay and you get half a tank of fuel which you pay for in advance, returning the car empty.

I know Owners Cars have many keen follwers on here, but Sol did very well for me.

I shouldn't have to say this, but I will anyway. I have no relationship with Sol Cars or any of their employees, I've just spent the last week with one of their cars.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,413 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire Recommendation

Thank you for taking the time to post this info up. It is always good to get recommendations from recent users.

In case anyone looking at this thread wants to know, can you plese tell us whether the booster cushion and baby seat were charged as extras ( and if so how much) plus how many drivers were included in the basic rental?

Hampshire
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire Recommendation

No worries, happy to help.

They were charged as extras. The Sol Cars website gives prices of Baby seats at 14 euros per week, Boosters 8 euros per week, on my research that's quite a bit less than some hire companies (I may or may not have paid those prices!). The rental price included two drivers.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire Recommendation

You see the 'little ex pat guys' are best! :-) and the service is personal

PS the return tank empty thing is 1 point off-most little guys don't do that.

Edited: 09 June 2011, 16:21
N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire Recommendation

Thanks for this post. We still haven't decided if we will be hiring a car or not in September but if we do it will probably only be for 3 days. I have found the website which shows the prices to hire for 7 days only. Does anyone know roughly the cost to hire for 3 days?

Thanks!

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire Recommendation

Roughly? I'd have thought about half the cost of a week. Just checked a couple of rival sites and the cost is worked out per day. Would have thought Sol would do the same.

JtheD

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire Recommendation

Thanks Jon.......could you tell me which other sites to look on just to see the daily cost?

My husband isn't keen to drive whilst on holiday as he likes to chill out but just thought it would be nice this year to see more of the island :)

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire Recommendation

You might find the less than 7 days hire per day price is more then the Pro rata rate

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,413 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire Recommendation

One thing to bear in mind is that in September you may find some 3 days for price of 2, 5 days for price of 3 etc. deals in your resort.

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire Recommendation

I looked on holiday Autos

Group B , 1 week £120

Group B 3 days £55

holidayautos.co.uk/cgi-bin/…

Which I do by default every time I look for car hire. It's my "benchmark" you see. If others can do cheaper / better/ fuel policy / etc. etc so be it, and agree that some of the small ex-pat firms have the best service and relatively competitive rates.

Sorry to say it's usually all down to the money with me, I book a long way in advance and sometimes get around half price what the small firms are quoting. I don't mind losing a few quid on fuel policy and other extras if the overall cost saves me 300 EUR on a long holiday. Each to their own of course.

That said the Sol quotes for sept are the same as some of the big boys - if that was the case for me i'd go with sol

JtheD

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
9,060 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire Recommendation

Thanks again for the information :)