We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Nostalgia

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,477 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Nostalgia

That airport thread got me remembering the good old days of cages for gates and the shortest ever bus transfer to aircraft. Does anyone have any other memories from days gone by?

A few starters if I may -

1970's windsurfing at Cala Galdana - flappy sails

The "old road" Mahon - Fornells when the middle part was "missing"

Vimpy - used to laugh at the name, now know better!

Naked hippies - thankfully still with us

Bar Sa barca underneath S'algaret in Fornells. So small that the chairs were from a kids primary school

Coastal walks following red paint on boulders - now the Cami Cavalls

Coming home at night from the Cova DD'enXoroii - the taxi did the trip almost entirely "off road" back then.

Happy days

Any more?

JtheD

UK
Level Contributor
173 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Nostalgia

What about the scary steep bend almost at the summit of Monte Toro. You can still see the remains of it now - had an old old Fiat/Lada with a mind of its own and never knew if it was going to turn the corner or go straight on.

The road to Cales Coves just used to run out and you were left with a crater as big as the car to negotiate.

The airport car park was just a dust bowl and you parked wherever you could.

No bus from the aircraft to the airport terminal - you just walked the 50 yards - much quicker than today.

Pesetas. Don't know why some goods/receipts still show them

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Nostalgia

Remember the road round Mercadal, just as you turn off the main road. That used to be just a track - no tarmac. And the bloke with the red flag in front of my car - oh no, that was here in England........................

Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
552 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Nostalgia

Remember the road round Mercadal, just as you turn off the main road. That used to be just a track - no tarmac. And the bloke with the red flag in front of my car - oh no, that was here in England........................

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Nostalgia

The young men doing military service in Es Castell ( and thankfull that we did'nt have it )

That most car journeys were on dirt tracks and bumped heads in the back of the little Fiat 500 my dad bought for a handfull of Pesetas

All the farms near Mahon center ( still a few holding out )

revising for A levels in Es Castell, then going to see how many waitresses I could find on the beach at Galdana after they finished work.

willing my dad's car to reach the 1 of 3 petrol stations

Edited: 12 June 2011, 10:06
Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,474 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Nostalgia

I remember all the radio masts in the hills and the military bases. One day we were bombing around in a tatty old white Fiat Panda looking for interesting archaeological stuff and stuff like remote lighthouses when we took a wrong turn ( tourist maps were useless then) and were suddenly confronted by an armed Spanish soldier with his hand up in a STOP position, gabbering away in spanish whilst gesticulating that we needed to turn around and go away quick! I also remember all the US army base personnel that were on the island back them - they all seemed to decend on the beach at Galdana on their days off so I think they were based somewhere near Monte Toro.

OMG the roads were rough then - on one trip ( we were looking for Torres D'en Gaunes I seem to remember) we managed to blow out a tyre pulling over to avoid a local maniac who was driving full pelt towards us down the centre of a narrow road - admittedly he did stop to help change the wheel (AND the hire company didn't charge us for the new tyre) but it put me off driving there for years

Happy Days!

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Nostalgia

Brilliant memories, not heard of half of it as Ive only been going the last 11 years. So interesting - any more?

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Nostalgia

EssexGirly

Back when there was no access road to Cala Mitjana, just a unmarked path way from up a hidden access on Avenguida del la Punta-No buildings on end of La Punta either ( just natural ) - real shame as that spoilt Galdana for me along with the xtra building around Serpontana. Galvines hotel really spoilt the bay too.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,474 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Nostalgia

Oooo yes menorcaIslandboy - I remember the distinct lack of petrol stations and the "will we won't we make it" conversation too - with us it also included the "will it be open" question as we never seemed quite sure what the opening hours were as they seemed to keep such limited hours in those days.

Anoyjer question for anyone with a good memory - when we first went to Cala Galdana ( we were staying in the Gavillanes) we treked off along a dodgy path along the clifftop heading in an easterly direction and I remember seeing what looked like a half finished hotel/apartment complex all lying deserted amongst the trees - does anyone remember this and what happened to it?

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
1,044 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Nostalgia

I remember Es Castell when it was called Villa Carlos, when Cala Fonts restaurants weren't as elegant as they are now, when there was only one roundabout on the whole island and the old market in Mahon had farmers wives selling fruit, veg & cheese laid out on trestle tables... no fancy shop fronts then.

Buying flights from a company in Newcastle ( I can't remember their name) because that was the only way you could buy flight only & picking up bed & breakfast for the princely sum of £8 per person per week.

I'm showing my age!

10. Re: Nostalgia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 01:16