We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

family holiday ideas

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
791 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
family holiday ideas

Please could I have some advice? We are looking at going on holiday to Menorca next July. We have always managed holidays in school time before but this time it will be the last week of July. Will all resorts be packed at this time? We were interested in Cala Galdana as it looks quite un-touristy (We would hate to be anywhere that was full of English and Irish pubs) but with plenty of restaurants. A nice beach is also a must for us. Does this seem a good choice?

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: family holiday ideas

Cala Galdana is very popular with a mixture of tourists (not just the english) and is not awash with the British/Irish bars you say you want to avoid. The surrounding scenery is very pretty and there are plenty of opportunities for nice walks outside of the resort and watersporting activities on the beach of its beautiful horseshoe shaped bay but because of this the beach gets pretty busy at weekends (when the locals come down) although if this happens there are other more remote beaches that you can walk to along the cliff paths etc.which get less busy ( there is nude bathnig on some of the more remote beaches so be warned)

There are other resorts that are quieter than Galdana and still fit the "nice beach is a must" requirement but it depends on the type of accomodation you are after and how quiet you want it to be which resort people may suggest seems suitable for you. Can you please tell us if you are looking at a villa, an apartment or hotel ( if so what star rating) and if an hotel ,half board, b&b etc.,what age your children are and whether anyone in the party has any difficulty with mobility ( some resorts are flater than other in parts). Also, if you are intending to hire a car this might affect the suggestions given so please give that info too because you might want to drive out from quieter resorts if you want to explore the local cuisine more fully

If you can have a quick look at some of the resorts mentioned on the sites linked to in the Top Question section of this forum you may be able to suggest a few other places that you like the look of and would like an honest opinion on. I suggest you also look at Son Bou, Santo Tomas, Punta Prima and possibly Cala N'Porter ( which is featured less in package brouchures these days)

Edited: 28 March 2012, 22:40
Derbyshire
Level Contributor
791 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: family holiday ideas

Thanks for that. We have got 2 boys age 12 and 15 who love snorkelling. We would like a hotel ideally for use of a pool, but we would prefer b & b or self caterring there.

No mobility problems.

We would like there to be shops and restaurants fto go to in the evening but have no interest in discos. Also what might be worth mentioning is that my son is terrified of dogs so if the beach was popular with dog walkers we would have to avoid it!

Birmingham
Level Contributor
477 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: family holiday ideas

Hi, we have been to Cala Galdana twice during school hols..last year and 2 years prior to that. We have been end July/beginning of August and also last 2 weeks of August, and in answer to your other post we found last year (Jul/Aug) quieter...think this may be more to do with the economic climate than anything else though. We have found though that end of August is usually slightly cheaper for booking than earlier in the school hols.

Cala Galdana is a beautiful resort, there are just enough restaurants to keep you going for a fortnight, a handful of bars but absolutely no rowdiness at all, it's a very civilised place. The only noise that you can normally hear in the evening is the entertainment coming from the Galdana Hotel, this finishes by 11 though. The beach does get very busy though...we have found not just at weekends either. Our solution to this is to either go to the beach early (about 9 til 11) or go down there about 5pm til 7ish to avoid the crowds.

We have never seen a dog, nor any mess around the resort so your son need not worry.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,416 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: family holiday ideas

I see that nicjw has given you the lowdown on Galdana which is great. Are you looking to book through a major tour operator , using sites like Expedia. Travel Republic etc. or doing a totally DIY trip as this might affect any suggestions for other places because the packages tend to be to places that they know they have a market for and you will struggle to find somewhere in less hotel orientated resorts like Binibeca in them. At the moment I am still thinking Galdana and the other places I have mentioned in post 1 are going to be worth considering and am hoping that MenorcaIslandboy will come on and give his view on where might suit you too.

Re your points in your secod post

1) "NO INTEREST IN DISCOS"

This is easy. There are a few discos dotted around the island but even in the most "british package holiday" resorts you will not find these on every corner as the island does not attract groups of young singles like Ibiza and similar destinations as it is not marketed as that sort of place. Depending on the resort you may find bars with live music/ kareoke, but and as someone who dislikes that sort of thing myself I can say that they are easily avoided if they are not your bag.

2) " A HOTEL IDEALLY FOR USE OF A POOL "

Virtually all tourist accomodation will have a pool so you are not restricted to hotels or an aparthotel. Presumably you would be putting the boys into a room of their own anyway or taking a family suite but you might find that an apartment complex would give you more space . If you liked the look of Santo Tomas ( which may be a little too quiet for the boys although my 17 year old son is still very happy to chill out there) send me a private message and I will give you the lowdown on the best options in that location.

3) "DOGS" - this is unlikely to be a problem as I have seen very few dogs on the island when I have been there and those that I have noticed have been trudging along next to their owners looking exhausted in the heat - not bounding around trying to be friendly with strangers.In that climate pets will tend to be walked either very early in the morning or last thing in the evening

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
791 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: family holiday ideas

Thanks both of you. Cala Galdana sounds ideal but I am a bit worried about how busy it gets. Is it "Benidorm" busy where everyone is like sardines on tye beach? Our only other option would be to go in October half term which would make the weather unpredictable. The Canaries would then be an option so we get the sun, but I think these islands are probably too touristy for us.If it's any help, we have been to Puerta Pollansa in Majorca before and really liked it. Wouldn't want anything more touristy than that though.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Warrington, Cheshire
Level Contributor
522 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: family holiday ideas

I visited Puerto Pollensa when we were staying in Cala D'or a few years ago, whilst I didnt stay there I did like it and would stay there in the future. I think Cala Galdana ticks most of your boxes.

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: family holiday ideas

Yep, CG is perfect. Check out Galdana Gardens apartments or Menorca.todo for private apartments. The beach is busy at the weekends when locals come down, which is a good advert for it! The last few years have got quieter, so they'll always be room on the beach.

UK
Level Contributor
33 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: family holiday ideas

I have read your post/this thread with interest as, after doing a lot of research (including reading a lot of this forum!) we have just booked our first trip to Menorca, our wish-list was very similar to yours (we have a boy and girl both a bit younger than yours), and we chose Cala Galdana!

We are going at the very start of the school holidays (last week of July/start of August) and found the hotel prices slightly cheaper than in the middle of August.

We also found that it was a lot cheaper to book flights/hotels separately than a package holiday. This also allowed more flexibility...

My wife wanted to avoid self catering ("no holiday if you have to make your own breakfast!") and I wanted to avoid all-inclusive (how can you explore the island if you're chained to the hotel for every meal/drink?) so we've compromised on 7 nights B&B (to try the local restaurants) at Confortel Menorca followed by 5 nights half board at Hotel Cala Galdana.

We've booked a hire-car for the first 6 days to explore the island and the last 6 days will be on CG beach or walking to the other beaches along the coast.

Really looking forward to it!

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: family holiday ideas

Good man - you will fall in love with Menorca i'm sure

Derbyshire
Level Contributor
791 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: family holiday ideas

Phil25, that sounds great! I think we have decided Cala Galdana too. I totally agree with the self-catering/all inclusive arguments although we may go self-catering but eat out all the time!!! Thank you to everyone who gave me advice.

Get answers to your questions about Menorca
Recent Conversations