We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Self catering or all inclusive?

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
45 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
Self catering or all inclusive?

We are thinking of going self catering to cala n forcat 1st june with our 11mth old boy

We haven't been self catering for years!

Is it really expensive to buy from supermarkets and eat out?

Many thanks

N.Wales UK
Destination Expert
for Costa Teguise
Level Contributor
8,861 posts
175 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Self catering or all inclusive?

Hi there, we prefer to go SC (which we did last year in CnF) and didn't find it too expensive but then we don't go for "posh" food LOL! Depends what kind of things you like to eat? Do you go for a 2/3 course meal? We usually only have a main course. We buy cereal, bread etc for breakfasts (but sometimes have the odd fry up at a restaurant/cafe). Same kind of thing for lunchtimes.

We didn't find it too expensive at all :)

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Self catering or all inclusive?

In my personal opinion, the only place that does all-inclusive really well is the Caribbean. In my experience the med only seem to tick a few boxes and it's really only worth it if you are drinkers in this case. As you are in charge of a little one, I doubt you will use it to the extreme that most people who all-inclusive do. I think you will get a much better experience if you get out and dine a bit. In the end you will have a much more enhanced holiday. I self-cater wherever I can. It gives you greater flexibility. Also you will find the space of an apartment will give you more freedom, and this will be much needed with a curious toddler. On top of this you will be able to prepare food as and when you need it, even through the night. Some all-inclusives are apartment complexes's where you are allocated and apartment and the all-inclusive aspect is done at a central point but this is not always the case. If I was in your position I would certainly take the self catering option.

Warrington, Cheshire
Level Contributor
522 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Self catering or all inclusive?

My vote would go for self catering. When my son was younger it worked out so much better and we had so much more freedom with meal times etc. If you want to cut down on costs you can always take some of the essentials with you, although you can get almost everything you need in cala n forcat. Part of the holiday for us was to go out and find nice places to eat of an evening. It will be interesting to read reviews at the end of the season regarding all inclusives, I agree with the comments above.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Self catering or all inclusive?

Completely agree with midge-ntl/trotters

I know even with drop in value of pound that I can go self

catering ( eating out/in ) and eater much better than AI for less money to Menorca-Search forums here for my SC tips.

manchester
Level Contributor
586 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Self catering or all inclusive?

Angbabes

go SC, we went HB last year to calan bosch and enjoyed it, but the choice of eating out was fantastic and we have decided to go back this september to a villa there, there are members on here like,HEVER/NCL trotters/Midge-ntl and menorcaislandboy, that will give you great info on where to eat and the best restaurants not forgetting menorcareg.

i have already picked two restaurants in cuitadella for birthdays when away on there advice.

and its not expensive.we at the end of our holiday accounted for the cost of hotel against eating in good restaurants and believe it or not actually eating out would have cost less, and better local food from what we saw.

Reading, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Self catering or all inclusive?

We are having the same dilema.... how much spending money should we take if you go self catering (2 adults, 4 children and not planning on doing any day trips)

Suffolk
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Self catering or all inclusive?

ages of the children?

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Self catering or all inclusive?

"go self catering " yes but does this mean every meal out or 'real' self catering ie all done in the accommodation? Plus are you a fussy eater or what? etc etc

Edited: 16 April 2012, 15:52
Reading, United...
6 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Self catering or all inclusive?

8, 6, 5 and 3. We haven't been abroad for years so have absolutely no idea on how much to take..... assuming it is self catering.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
115 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Self catering or all inclusive?

with 4 kids id personally lean towards the AI route (but thats personal preference) if yo deffo on going SC then as MenorcaIslandBoy has said it would totally depend on what type of SC family you are.