We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

coach drivers strike

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
coach drivers strike

just read that there is a coach drivers strike starting 20 july

is this true

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: coach drivers strike

"just read " - best to quote source? to us.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,769 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: coach drivers strike

Perhaps Raff might know more about this one being "on site" as it were.

I have to say that these disputes come up year after year - sometimes little happens and at other times there is disruption. Luckily I arrive on 18th July but I still need the return transfer the following week!

Edited: 26 June 2012, 16:28
Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Minorca
Level Contributor
614 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: coach drivers strike

It is planned but has not been confirmed, I will update as soon as I have more info.

London
Level Contributor
2,405 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: coach drivers strike

Legally they have to annouce, and so far nearly always called off - negotation stance- Idiot Unions who ignore that people like you and many others will be put off by the uncertainty thus making the employment situation worse.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,769 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: coach drivers strike

"Idiot Unions"..... hmmmn not only there at times don't you think? That cutting off nose to spite the face thing is pretty universal once the blood has started to heat up.

Edited: 27 June 2012, 13:46
Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: coach drivers strike

There was due to be a meeting today between the unions and hotel association who are also threatening to strike along with coach drivers and doctors although all emergency cover will be in place. Let's hope they sort things out as the last time the coach drivers went on strike it was a nightmare and did untold damage to the island's reputation.

They have have had one day of demonstrations and I think another is die but by our standards these are only small 2 to 3 thousand people in Mahon.

Why not arrange a hire care to avoid the hassle?

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,149 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: coach drivers strike

Update . Decision to be made next Monday re coach drivers ' strike on 21st, 22nd, 27th and 28)th July.

Newcastle
Level Contributor
1,220 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: coach drivers strike

I hope this does not go ahead. I can tell you from first hand experience of dealing with one in June 2001, its ugly!

I can still remember my resort manager holding a meeting with us prior to the Friday airport day which was likely to be affected and being assured it was only a slight possibility and there were contingencies in place. We were told to go to our respective resorts with our transfer manifests for the first pick up's of the day. I arrived in S'algar at around 4.00am with two other reps. The mobile phone rang these were the words I heard "we've got no buses" Me "so what is the contingency plan then?" It appeared the contingency plan involved putting everyone in taxis. Well just about every other tour operator had the same plan and only so many taxis on the island. At that time Direct Holidays had a massive programme in S'algar and I had to get around 280 customers to the airport over the course of the day. Being close to Mahon and Sant Luis I suppse we faired better than some of the other resorts on the island. In fact S'algar was the first resort to clear the departing passengers, more doen to luck and cunning on my part than any other skill. We managed to do this by 10pm, which was an hour later than the last coach was due to pick uip, so I am proud of that, but we did not stop all day.

The worst thing was I had family arriving on the very same day. One was arriving as a solo traveller first thing and he had to stand in a queue for 3 hours to get a taxi down to S'algar and then pick up a car I had hired in addition to my company car. He then returned to the airport and picked up my mother and extended family, without having a clue where he was going and whilst doing so took some of the stranded holiday makers with him.

It did not end there, I slept in my car outside Los Naranjos and waited to greet each taxi that noisily pulled up with my guests who had waited in some cases 11 hours in the heat at Mahon. I believe my last arriving guest go to their room around midday Saturday.

From colleagues who worked at the airport, the scene was absolute carnage. People were arriving at the airport and finding their flight had departed or their seats had gone. In the end just about all the airlines started accepting any ticket for any flight, the apron was becoming so congested they could not hold aircraft on the ground waiting for the passengers to come, and the seats were there, so might as well leave, it was like a humanitarian uplift. Passengers bound for Scotland flying into Bristol and so on.

I would not wish this scenario on anyone, the infrastructure on Menorca is not best placed to deal with this. Palma coped much better.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,769 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: coach drivers strike

Oh dear - not looking good

Birmingham
Level Contributor
451 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: coach drivers strike

Mmmm doesn't sound good - let's hope it doesn't go ahead. Would it also affect privately booked transfers (minibus)? We travel out independently on one of the dates mentioned.