We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Still lurking

Brighton
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Brighton
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Still lurking

Thanks to all who have wondered where I've been, However there hasn't been a topic come up on this forum in the last year that I haven't either answered or expressed an opinion on,.....so for previous doggy advice please see my previous......

tripadvisor.co.uk/members-forums/Jon-the-dog

Still here, still lurking in the background, but Men Reg and all you other island regulars are now so good on advice to newbies that often I have nothing to add to correct good advice.

However..............Still here..........still lurking......as I have been for the last year or so.........just sch-tum at the mo

TA have suggested I check in a little more often - will do

JtheD

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,265 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Still lurking

Please keep posting Jon - we have missed you over the past few months and I personally am very sad that you are not posting as a DE at the moment. I know it can be frustrating when the same old questions come up time and time again because people post without first using the search engine to search the forum for the info they are looking for and this is why I try and suggest that they use the Top Questions. I will try and keep adding to the links on the Top Questions as and when new info comes up to try and reduce the repetition

Heres hoping to see you taking up your Destination Expert reins again soon - you must know how much the regulars on this forum value your knowledge of the island and in partiicular your imput about Fornells and the North/East.

Men Reg

Edited: 28 November 2012, 12:41
Warrington, Cheshire
Level Contributor
522 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Still lurking

Hi JtheD, I, along with many others, have received valuable information and advice from you in the past and really appreciated that, together with the time you have dedicated to TA. I enjoyed your humour too.

I look forward to seeing your posts in the future, and possibly bumping into you in Fornells. Best regards, Midge.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Still lurking

Hi JTD , why not just post your own stuff rather than answer?- I really enjoy your contributions and yes the same old same old 'lazy Qs' can be frustrating . I am on Menorca now 'helping' ( read free accomm :-) ) winterizing a friends property. 24 degrees then 'down' to 14 in 24 hours , still lovely though. Plenty of great food offers.

Hornchurch, United...
Level Contributor
518 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Still lurking

Sandstroller, how jammy are you?!

I remember John the Dog on here when I first used to contribute and thought it was great. I only post about Cala Galdana really even though we've driven all over many times. Be nice to have some updates from everyone throughout the winter. Merry Christmas! Or is that toooooo early?!

Menorca, Spain
Destination Expert
for Menorca
Level Contributor
645 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Still lurking

Hola JTD, good to see you are still here

xx

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Still lurking

Hi there everyone.

There is another argument for not reading the top questions and trawling through past posts to gain information. This being if everyone did that prior to then maybe posting, the forum would be dead in the water. Regular posts (even if having been asked many times before) are what keeps all forums going.

Just for example if someone wants to know a reliable taxi firm and finds the info from a post about 3 years old it may be out of date or the firm closed down. A new company which offers good service will then not get good press they deserve.

Also a lot of people just like to read the forum to see what's about and what people are up to so its good to see new things frequently.

Just my opinion like :)

Also as we all know, you can get into good conversations on any topic of forum so keep the questions coming folks.

Ps. I know this is just me but I only use forums on my phone 90% of the time so unless I go on the main trip advisor site I can't see the top questions anyway..

Don't forget that we need people that give us instant answers as we are lazy really lol

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,265 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Still lurking

Good point bts. It is good to keep the forum alive but I think the problem is that sometimes people don't bother to use the general search engine before posting, so there have been several instances of several people asking identical questions within days if not hours of each other during the busy time which is a bit irritating to everyone else .

As DEs are the ones who set up and add to the Top Questions, we do try and keep them up to date ( I have just added something to the ATOL one for instance) but unfortunately the way TA has set the Top Question section of the site up means that the earlier thread links on any particular TQ appear at the top of the list of threads on it rather than t'other way around. Also, editing them or deleting obsolete ones is quite time consuming so it tends not to be a priority . I like to point them out to people who may not have noticed them so they can find the bus timetables and other non TA island inf websites easily, but I agree that the most up to date stuff on for example good car hire firm is often to be found on the forum

Mansfield, United...
Level Contributor
1,585 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Still lurking

Yes men reg good points also.

I didn't realise it was the de who update the top questions so top kudos to you all for that. It would drive me mad having to do that.

I see what you mean by several same posts in quick succession in the peak season being annoying as they are on the first page next to each other most times, ie taxi from airport and best car hire etc etc lol.

Going back to my post on Minorca first time, what do you think of son bou?

Looking at hotel Valentin son bou and subbing the son a few quid to be able to have the best time we can and like you said not to be disappointed if its just cheap...

Thanks again. B.t.s

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
13,265 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Still lurking

Hi bts

I will relpy to this on your other thread in order to keep the info on resorts etc. together

10. Re: Still lurking

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 January 2014, 02:16
Get answers to your questions about Menorca