We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendation please

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
317 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Recommendation please

Firstly sorry to be vague!!

Background - me DW and kids ages 6 & 8. We've been to Majorca a number of times and love Puerto Pollensa, also like cala d'or.

Fancy a change so, based on the above where do you think will suit?

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
317 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Recommendation please

Should add that we prefer to eat out, so self catering is ideal

Thanks

UK
Level Contributor
420 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Recommendation please

Have you looked at Cala Galdana or Calan Bosch?

The resorts in Menorca tend to me smaller than Mallorca (no bad thing really) so you'll find the larger resorts in Menorca similar to some of Mallorca's smaller ones!

There's lots of good accommodation in Cala Galdana, but a lot of it is up a steep hill so just check on the location if you find any good deals.

Calan Bosch resort is all set around the marina which has lots of restaurants and bars. There are several complexes around the marina area that are self catering apartments, or just about a km out of the main centre is a large area of private villas. They're in the Cap d'Artruxt area. Not sure if it's OK to put links or not here so if you want any recommendations of villa rentals feel free to message me.

Other people might have other suggestions of resorts but those are two that spring to mind that you might enjoy. There are no bad resorts in Menorca though, just a matter of making sure there's enough to do.

West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
317 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Recommendation please

Thanks Sally Ann. We stayed at cala n forcat about 7 years ago and I really wasn't taken with it, however it was booked really late and it rained for 4 days out 6!!

I'll have a look at the 2 places you've mentioned - feel free to send a link through

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,495 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Recommendation please

Links on the forum are fine SallAnn as long as they are not non travel related, for "dodgy services" ( some forums on TA are regularly flooded by SPAM threads about "services") OR for businesses owned by the person posting them.

To unbiased_Jim, if you hated Forcat last time then you will have already excluded the resorts to the north of Cuitadella ! Are you looking for a package holiday or more of a DIY/build it yourself arrangement because as SallyAnn says villas may be an option that will give you more choice as the major package operators tend to stick to certain places AND are pushing the All Incl idea at lot .

When are you planning on goig to Menorca? Certain places that might be too quiet in low season may be fine in August.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 09:33
West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
317 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Recommendation please

Didn't hate forcat, but was a bit uninspired with it.

I'm happy to build my own package or go via tour operator if the price is right, however wouldn't go AI as it's not what I want from a holiday.

Would you recommend cala n Bosch?

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,495 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Recommendation please

Cala N'Bosch is fine -it has a much nicer beach than where you stayed last time, a pretty marina to wander along, a small water park for the children and a varied selection of restaurants and bars - the only limitation to the resort IMO is that because Cala N' Bosch is way down on the South/West tip of the island it is a bit remote. If you want to explore independantly, because there is no coastal road system you need to go inland and then across and down which makes doing it by public transport a bit of a kerfuffe with small children in tow, so you may want to consider getting a hire car. If you do not book a package with free transfers included but plan on having a hire car as well, then cost out getting one for the whole trip rather than a few days from the resort - you will save the price of seperate coach transfers to and from the airport ( the resort has about the longest transfer time of any resort so coach transfers can take quite a while and be relatively expensive), get straight to your accomodation as quickly as possible and not need to book "excursions"in order to go to other places.

There is a route planner link in one of the Top Questions so you can judge from that what the distances to any resort from the airport will be. The journey times mentioned on that are of course "pure" driving times - airport transfer coaches will take much longer.

Edited: 04 January 2013, 12:37
West Yorkshire
Level Contributor
317 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Recommendation please

Thanks again.

I'd do any excusion via hiring a car, I can then go where I want, when I want.

Will also check out a hire car for the whole trip as I agree with the point around transfers!!

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,339 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Recommendation please

As you seem to prefer the more upmarket resorts in Majorca and didn't like Forcat (no surprise there!) can I suggest a couple of other options? Have a look at Son Bou, a lovely long beach or Santo Tomas. There are some nice properties there. Cala Galdana as previously suggested may well suit and if you have a car you can explore a little. Have fun!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,495 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Recommendation please

All good suggestions Dettorifan. Santo Tomas Son Bou and Calas Galdana & Bosch are all going to give a nice family holiday - it just depends how busy the family want it to be and there is lots of info on the forum that can be accessed via the search engine and/or Top Questions. To be honest I did not mention Santo Tomas ( where I tend to stay myself) as some people find it just too quiet and I don't know Puerto Pollensa at all so I couldn't say how the two places compare. Villas in Santo Tomas tend to wards the larger and expensive end of the market so renting one for a small family must not be cost effective but if Jim wants any info on the resort that he cannot find on the posts already on the Santo T forum I will be pleased to help.

To unbiased_jim himself - I have to say that I completely agree with you about excursions, they have never been my cup of tea and the stop offs at leather outlets etc. that they often seem to factor into coach trips drive me nuts ( as do the reps who in some cases have only been on the island for 5 mins and can barely pronounce the place names correctly let alone commentate on an island tour). If you do decide to hire a car for the whole trip, there are lots of threads on this forum giving ideas, recommendations and in some case "don't use...." messages. You do not need to use a booking agent - much better to go straight to the hire company itself so you can check the full T&Cs before commiting yourself

Edited: 04 January 2013, 18:33
Timbuktu, Mali
Level Contributor
861 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Recommendation please

As someone who has been to both Puerto Pollensa( and Cala Dor ) and Santa Tomas . I can compare, and PP wins by a long way . Think Cala Galdana is your best bet Jim , if you are deserting Majorca .