We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going to Menorca next week

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Brighton, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
Going to Menorca next week

Flying into Menorca on Friday i know weather not going to be stunning, hopefully the rain will hold of a bit, im staying in Arenal D'En Castell

area, i will be travelling with my &yo daughter so looking for things to do see watch when the weather turns, does any body know of indoor pools?, also ive been told about horse show?

ive been before but i generally go alone and just soak up the sun, for a weekin june

All helpful advise gratefully received

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Going to Menorca next week

Horse shows are only May to October but there are trotting races at the Hippodrome. We used to go in Feb when there were direct flights from Manchester but you may get a shock, even Appril can be desperately quiet. The only places where there is anything to do are Mahon and Ciudadela. In Mahon you have ten pin bowling and the Capri hotel has an indoor pool. Don't go on a Sat morning as they give swimming lessons then. You can of course go to the municipal indoor pool at the Polydeportivo in Mahon but don't expect many will be fluent in English. The golf course is now open at Son Parc but perhaps not an activity for your daughter.

If you tell me what you are expecting to do and your interests, I could perhaps be a little more helpful.

Cheshire
Level Contributor
2,272 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Going to Menorca next week

Google 'Beguiled by the beauty of Menorca' by Paul Richardson for a flavour of the island in winter.

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
12,207 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Going to Menorca next week

I have just checked and there IS a Horse Show on every Saturday at 4.30 pm at Son Martorellet as from this weekend (16th Feb) - see www.sonmartorellet.com/es/noticia.php… .

Unfortunately the zoological park at Lloc de Menorca is closed this month or she may have liked to look around there, but the Fortress at La Mola is open for limited hours (Tues - Sun ,10am -2pm) - see http://www.fortalesalamola.com/ . La Mola is relatively close to Arenal and is basically an intact Napolonic Fort which you can either wander around on your own (with optional english speaking audio guides) or go on a walking tour - my son loved it there when he was small, but your daughter may not be interested in what is basically a very large complex of atmospheric old buildings.

I suggest that you try sending a Private Message to our Destination Expert RAFF ( see details over on the right of the forum page) - she lives on the island and has two young daughters so may be able to suggest things that might be suitable to amuse your little girl.

I am assuming you will have a car because any buses ( I haven't checked winter timetables) may be few and far between on tourist routes and given the resticted amount of things available to do you need to be able to get from A-B as quickly as possible. There will be restaurants etc.open in Fornells Village but they may well be operating winter opening hours.

The island will be completely different to how you have seen it in the summer.

4. Re: Going to Menorca next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 February 2013, 18:05
London, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Going to Menorca next week

Hi - as you are already in Menorca, I'm not sure you will receive this message, however, as you will be finding out, there is not much open in Arenal at the moment...I believe the bar Can Guixo in the Coves Noves commercial centre may be open but this year the supermarket is not opening until March. Definitely the Indian Restaurant Taj is open in Addaia, about 10 mins away. As there is nothing else open in Addaia this year, it will be serving Spanish/English dishes as well as Indian food during the winter. There's also BJ's at Son Parc, but not sure if open every night. Other than than, it will probably be a case of travelling to Mercadal or Alaior for drinks / meals out. There are of course plenty of bars and restaurants as well as things to do in Mahon / Es Castell and Ciutadella at the other end of the island.

However, if you like the outdoors, going for long walks and deserted beaches, you will not be disappointed.

It was Carnival weekend last week, so if you visited one of the towns you will have seen lots of people out in the streets dressed up in their Carnival costumes. I don't when you leave and don't know how old your daughter is, but one fun idea could be to go into Mahon on Saturday morning when at around 12.00 midday, the giant figure of S'Avia Corema (an old hag-like grandmother) parades around the town. She has 7 feet, one for each week of lent, and children following her around, often with music from the town band, and then one of her feet is removed to the delight of the children and she is returned to the Town Hall until the following week. The character of S'Avia Corema goes back many years and it is traditional for children to make lent calendars of the old woman and then remove a foot each week in the count down to Easter.

You could also google 'Menorca in Springtime' where there are links to quite a few articles about Menorca out of season and things to do. Have a lovely time, at least it is bound to be warmer than the UK....!

London, United...
Level Contributor
202 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Going to Menorca next week

I would just like to correct my post having checked with a friend who lives in Coves Noves. In fact, the commercial centre is now almost 'buzzing' (well for Menorca!) with the Flamingo and El Pirata restaurants open as well as Can Guixo and Cafe Ebora - some great late music nights evidently at Can Guixo. This is not only to support the Spanish seniors staying in the Aguamarina Hotel out of season but also the growing number of locals in the area. Weather today mild with hazy sun. Hope it continues as will be there for Easter.

7. Re: Going to Menorca next week

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 February 2014, 07:16