We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I add a day or two in Minorca to my trip?

Which Minorca hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Should I add a day or two in Minorca to my trip?

I will be traveling with my 70 year old mother to Madrid and Barcelona in April. We have not booked the flights but will in the next week or so. So far we are thinking 10 days total but can extend that for up to three days. In looking at side trips, she thought that a day in Minorca looked wonderful. I think we need two nights minimum, but I am having a hard time telling how easy it is to get around the island using just the busses. If we fly from Madrid to Minorca for just a day or two, is it even worth it? Or should we just stick with our original Madrid/Barcelona plan? Mom is in okay shape for her age, and can walk all day but doesn't like anything too crazy/exciting. She does like to walk and she loves beaches. I like the look of both the town of Mahon and Ciudadella. We don't either of us do nightlife. Can you help two aging travelers?

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,606 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I add a day or two in Minorca to my trip?

Hard one this . I have been to all three places . Menorca is not really a day trip place - the pace of life is very different- the most flights are between Barcelona and Menorca , so possibly do any visit via Barcelona? Barcelona is also lovely but worth missing for Menorca?, possibly not ( USA has great beaches too? )

All depends on what you would like to see in a city. having travelled America I know that anything over 200 years old is a big fascination :-)

Ciutadella old city is unlike anything you will see in USA and the square there is considered one of the most beautiful in all Spain and I would agree- Medieval. The' problem' is Ciutadella is at the opposite end of the island to the airport with no direct bus from airport YOU MUST go to Mahon bus station, so you are in Mahon already!

I just walked around Mahon yesterday evening and people miss so much when they do a 2/3 hour organised coach visit - it really is delightful, so both places are worth a visit!

Surrey UK
Destination Expert
for Minorca, Santo Tomas
Level Contributor
11,799 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I add a day or two in Minorca to my trip?

I agree with all said above and would add that there is a "fast" ( 45 mins approx) direct Mahon to Cuitadella weekday bus service from Mahon so if you stayed there you could get over to Cuitadella have a wander around, take lunch or whatever and return to your hotel with no problem. IF you decided try and book an hotel in Cuitadella please make sure it is actually in the town not in one of the tourist resorts immediately to the north of it - these are not authentic Menorca at all

london
Level Contributor
175 posts
159 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I add a day or two in Minorca to my trip?

Loved both Barcelona and Madrid when i've been there but i'd try and go to menorca for at least 2 days if there is a chance. Really i'd just echo what the two posts above have said and maybe have a full day in Mahon and then transfer to Cuitadella for the second day.

Grand Rapids...
Level Contributor
6 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I add a day or two in Minorca to my trip?

Thank you all for your help. We did end up buying our USA-Spain tickets and our total time is 11 days. Take two days off for the travel, and we decided not to do Minorca this time. It would mean no Avila, less time in Barcelona- and more rushing than we want to do. So far this trip is shaping up to be more leisurely than other trips, mainly I think because we are trying to say 'no' to some stuff so that we can really dig into the two main towns. Neither of us has ever been to Spain so it is hard not to try and do everything!

5. Re: Should I add a day or two in Minorca to my trip?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 March 2014, 04:15