We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cala En porter

belfast
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Cala En porter

Hi

Booking a weeks stay in Cala En Porter for my 17 year old daughter and I. We wanted somewhere close to the airport and wanted a nice selection of shops/restaraunts and supermaket closeby. My first thought was Es Castell but cant get accom so Cala En Porter second choice and i was wondering if I should look for something close to El Piassa or somewhere closer to the beach. Where is the center of the resort? On google there seem to be lots of roads with very liittle on them but houses/apartments and wouldn't want to be walking far back to where we are staying late at night - lots of nice apartmetns/bungalows on Carre Migjorn and Carre SDart but a bit nervous if they are too far back from nightlife etc.,

Would appreciate any advice

Many thanks

Colette

Mentioned in this post
Es Castell
Es Castell
Menorca, Spain
London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cala En porter

Hi ,

here is a link to the resort 'centre' in the middle- Nightlife is at that location , plus along Polignon Maritim ( from where you see all those roads meeting ) -Note '17 year olds' will very likley to have their ID checked in bars.

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=Cala+En+Porter,+Spain&hl=en&ll=39.87338,4.134904&spn=0.002083,0.005284&sll=52.824734,-2.028154&sspn=0.839789,2.705383&oq=cala+en+poprter&hnear=Cala+En+Porter,+Balearic+Islands,+Spain&t=h&z=18

Where did you look for Es Castell as most accommodation is private or hotels?

There are lot's of villas in much better positions than Carrer Migjorn - which is quite a trek back from beach in sun on foot, but they are also quiet as next to countryside ( if not next to Coves Xoroi's Road-cars,mopeds going to night club )

What time of year are you going?

Edited: 18 April 2013, 16:23
Mentioned in this post
Es Castell
Es Castell
Menorca, Spain
Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cala En porter

I hope you're not getting the wrong impression of the resort. The nightlife as Sandstroller says, is mostly in the centre, the small number of shops do mostly tourist stuff. There are no bars, restaurants or shops set amongst the villas and apartments. Bar Pons, 007 and La Pallette are the only ones not bang in the centre of the resort.

If you're thinking about self catering, Siesta Mar, Cala'n Porter Playa and Vidal Court apartments are as close as you can get to the centre.

belfast
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cala En porter

Hi

Many thanks for your reply will check out the link - I found some nice apts on owners direct and similiar but they were all full.

As its only the two of us going lots of the villas are way too big for us - the shortlist is one in Carre Migjorn and one two mins from Castillo Ranch but think I will stick with Siesta Mar as it seems to be a better location for us.

Mny thnks for help

belfast
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cala En porter

Hi

Thank you for the info you have given me. We will be going the 6th to 13th August and would prefer to be close to supermarkets etc.,so think I will check out Siesta Mar and the other two mentioned, the siesta mar is about £60 more expensive than the apartments I had shortlised but would much prefer to be in a busy well lit area rather than the quieter back roads.

Many thanks for taking the time to reply I appreciate it

Cheers

Falkirk, United...
Destination Expert
for Menorca, Cala'n Porter
Level Contributor
1,170 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cala En porter

Cala n Porter is one of the safest places I've ever visited, don't be concerned about poorly lit side streets, it's definitely not Magalluf.

Siesta Mar 2 is closer to the centre than Siesta Mar 1.

belfast
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cala En porter

Reckon Siesta Mar2 is the winner then.

I was put off a bit checking out the further apartments I found as they just seemed to be streets full of houses

sop glad to know we will be better staying in Siesta Mar/Bahia - Cant find any details on the Vidal Court apartments but found a complex called Hibiscus so have just emailed them.

Thanks for reply

Cheers

South East England...
Level Contributor
2,034 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Cala En porter

Siesta Mar is an easy walk into the centre and is well lit along the main road to the restaurants / bars. We stay in a villa further along this road and I would still be happy to walk back there on my own with my three year old at night.

London, United...
Level Contributor
1,883 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Cala En porter

Honestly Cala en Porter and Menorca is very, very safe . You could choose anywhere, any street and be totally at ease - different world to UK!

London, United...
Level Contributor
656 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cala En porter

This is a article I found on the internet a few months ago and should put your mind a rest about crime not only in Cala en Porter but the Whole of Menorca.

Menorca is famous for being favoured by families with young children and grandparents alike. But what is it about the island that makes it so popular? First off Menorca is the quietest and most northerly of the Balearic Islands. It also has an extremely low crime rate and is thought to be one of the safest holiday destinations in the world.

Mentioned in this post
belfast
Level Contributor
27 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cala En porter

Cheers for taking the time to reassure me appreciate it